Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 08-24-2021, 08:00 AM   #3881
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

On fan960 yesterday, Will interviewed a media rep (not sure who) and they basically commented.

They thought the team is set, he only expected the Flames to announce additional PTO's for training camp

Other than that, he thought nothing else will occur.

Interesting.
Old 08-24-2021, 08:00 AM   #3882
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

^ Brendan Parker
The Following User Says Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2021, 08:01 AM   #3883
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

If there ends up being no final move of all the players who had down years last year a big spotlight will be shone on Monahan and whether he can turn things around.
Old 08-24-2021, 08:03 AM   #3884
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flambers View Post
On fan960 yesterday, Will interviewed a media rep (not sure who) and they basically commented.

They thought the team is set, he only expected the Flames to announce additional PTO's for training camp

Interesting.
If that is the case...not quite sure what else is to be said other than Treliving has managed his way into a corner of mediocrity and failure. Just a rotten off-season (to date). No team accomplished less last season, yet lost more this off-season.

Interview is here

Last edited by ComixZone; 08-24-2021 at 08:20 AM.
Old 08-24-2021, 08:36 AM   #3885
talladega.25
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flambers View Post

Interesting.
Horrendous! Another abysmal off-season following up another lame season. I don't get this GM and this team STILL leaves a lot be desired. Loosing Gio and replacing him with Zadorov doesn't add up. Coleman is a nice add but the core still stinks.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to talladega.25 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2021, 08:39 AM   #3886
the_only_turek_fan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by talladega.25 View Post
Horrendous! Another abysmal off-season following up another lame season. I don't get this GM and this team STILL leaves a lot be desired. Loosing Gio and replacing him with Zadorov doesn't add up. Coleman is a nice add but the core still stinks.
Full season of Sutter will make all the difference. I expect this team to resemble the 2005-06 version. A lot of 3-2 wins with strong defence and a steady Markstrom.

This team will finish first or second in the division. Have faith.
Old 08-24-2021, 08:50 AM   #3887
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_only_turek_fan View Post
Full season of Sutter will make all the difference. I expect this team to resemble the 2005-06 version. A lot of 3-2 wins with strong defence and a steady Markstrom.

And if Treliving had his way, we wouldn’t even have that. We’d be staring down another year of Geoff Ward.
Old 08-24-2021, 08:51 AM   #3888
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by talladega.25 View Post
Bit of an over-reaction to some guy's OPINION that the Flames are done, no?

Personally, I think it is unlikely that they sit on $4M of cap space, but if they do, then the chances of something happening DURING the season are very high, IMO.

We shall see.
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2021, 08:56 AM   #3889
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would rather BT be done then make a bad trade to shake things up. If the value is not there for our core players then we are better off holding onto them and seeing how a full season of Sutter at the helm pans out.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2021, 08:59 AM   #3890
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I would rather BT be done then make a bad trade to shake things up. If the value is not there for our core players then we are better off holding onto them and seeing how a full season of Sutter at the helm pans out.
Yup, and if the team craps the bed the sell off and rebuild can start at the deadline.
At this point I am just hopeful that johnny gets signed.
Old 08-24-2021, 09:04 AM   #3891
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

We are a Markstrom injury away from being a bottom feeding team imo. Maybe Vladar is good, but I don’t think good enough for me to be at ease.
Old 08-24-2021, 09:06 AM   #3892
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Bradley, you'd better not be done

I will strangle you.
Old 08-24-2021, 09:11 AM   #3893
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goriders View Post
If there ends up being no final move of all the players who had down years last year a big spotlight will be shone on Monahan and whether he can turn things around.
Even these players playing their best hasn't been good enough in the past. The core needs a transplant because the right pieces to bring PO success are not currently there.

It's a lot to put on Sutter. Treliving had the option of bringing in an elite weapon to help that cause, and should be pursuing that until he's moved.
Old 08-24-2021, 09:16 AM   #3894
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Even these players playing their best hasn't been good enough in the past. The core needs a transplant because the right pieces to bring PO success are not currently there.

It's a lot to put on Sutter. Treliving had the option of bringing in an elite weapon to help that cause, and should be pursuing that until he's moved.
Really - who?
Old 08-24-2021, 09:18 AM   #3895
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Really - who?
Last trade deadline we could have acquired - and then likely extended - Taylor Hall for a very reasonable acquisition cost (...pretty much half the return he got for Bennett could have been flipped).

The team would be better today if he had done that.

...but I assume he's speaking of Jack Eichel of course...
Old 08-24-2021, 09:19 AM   #3896
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
We are a Markstrom injury away from being a bottom feeding team imo. Maybe Vladar is good, but I don’t think good enough for me to be at ease.
Fair, but not every team has a Price/Allen duo. What happens if Vasilevskiy goes down? Is Tampa good enough to overcome Elliott? I mean, they probably are, so that might be a bad example... What about if Lehner goes down in Vegas? Actually I think Brossoit might be okay there too...

Well now I'm depressed.
Old 08-24-2021, 09:20 AM   #3897
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Most teams' seasons would be derailed if their starter gets injured for any length of time.
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2021, 09:21 AM   #3898
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

A Sutter team with Tkachuk, Gaudreau, Lindholm, Mangiapane, Tanev, Hanifin, etc won’t be a bottom feeder. Even if Markstrom sits out they entire year.

Look at some of the rosters around the league. There’s more than a handful of teams around the league still actively trying to lose.
Old 08-24-2021, 09:21 AM   #3899
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_only_turek_fan View Post

Sutter will definitely make a difference, team will be more structured (probably terrible to watch... defense first type of stuff).

They will be consistent, big challenge will be scoring...

My guess they are a bubble team, likely similar to last season.

Team is not as good, however they have a better coach.
Old 08-24-2021, 09:22 AM   #3900
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Last trade deadline we could have acquired - and then likely extended - Taylor Hall for a very reasonable acquisition cost (...pretty much half the return he got for Bennett could have been flipped).

The team would be better today if he had done that.

...but I assume he's speaking of Jack Eichel of course...
Taylor Hall is not an "elite weapon" and hasn't been for some time. And how do you know the price would have been the same? Since Hall had an NMC and since he ended up extending in Boston, seems like that's where he wanted to go.

As for Eichel, we don't really know what opportunity has been there. If the asking price included Gaudreau or Lindholm, it's pretty steep and Eichel's recovery is likely not helping the Flames for at least half a season..
Closed Thread