Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 08-04-2021, 08:32 AM   #2441
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
I wish there was some indication around what Buffalo is wanting from Calgary. So many random proposals but still no idea if there are a few key pieces and who they are.
Does anyone actually know if Buffalo is even talking to the Flames. I’ve seen nothing pointing towards that from anyone in the media.
Old 08-04-2021, 08:34 AM   #2442
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goriders View Post
Does anyone actually know if Buffalo is even talking to the Flames. I’ve seen nothing pointing towards that from anyone in the media.
Then you have not been paying attention.
Old 08-04-2021, 08:40 AM   #2443
Poison
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Shame.
Old 08-04-2021, 08:40 AM   #2444
GettinIggyWithIt
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Buffalo likely doesn’t want Smith but they can’t send out $10M without taking a contract back. Lindholm >>> Smith as well

Smith is not a center so not sure that is what Buffalo wants. All we know is they want futures and are rebuilding.
If that's the case, I am thinking the Flames might be looking at two separate deals here. One, to deal Monahan and another to get Eichel. I feel like the final package for Eichel will be a 1st round pick in 22/23, a top d prospect, and a top forward prospect. Valimaki, Coronato and a 1st makes sense. Maybe they add another 2nd/3rd rounder. The longer this goes, the more likely that seems to me. Seems underwhelming for Buffalo but I am not just seeing teams lining up to overpay right now.

Timing is important then to have that deal in place and have another for Monahan to free up salary. Complete shot in the dark but that would at least make things exciting.
Old 08-04-2021, 08:43 AM   #2445
Sofa GM
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I feel like Vegas is in the drivers seat on this one. Usually you start hearing rumblings of actual players when the deal is getting and the selling GM is trying to squeeze for a small upgrade in the assets coming back. No information, just a hunch.
Old 08-04-2021, 08:51 AM   #2446
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada 02 View Post
Reilly Smith is a winger, 30 years old and a year away from UFA. Lindholm is in a completely different sphere
You know? I think I've made this exact same mistake in the past, thinking that Reilly Smith is a centre.

That's true. Lindholm is greatly superior regardless of position. I was just thinking that if Buffalo doesn't like Calgary's prospects and young players as much as Vegas', they might want a better established player to flip for more assets. That's what I meant when I said Tkachuk or Lindholm in the Smith slot. Can you imagine what Buffalo could get for Eichel if they got Tkachuk + from Calgary for Eichel and then flipped Tkachuk to St. Louis?

Who knows? I wish someone would give us some idea of what Buffalo wants from Calgary.

(Of course, if Buffalo is getting Tkachuk instead of Smith, the other three assets coming from Calgary would surely have to be much less.)

Last edited by Nelson; 08-04-2021 at 08:59 AM.
Old 08-04-2021, 09:02 AM   #2447
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Friedman said on his last podcast the Flames are right in the middle of the Eichel mix. Pagnotta has mentioned the Flames as a team in the mix as well
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2021, 09:03 AM   #2448
Sofa GM
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
You know? I think I've made this exact same mistake in the past, thinking that Reilly Smith is a centre.

That's true. Lindholm is greatly superior regardless of position. I was just thinking that if Buffalo doesn't like Calgary's prospects and young players as much as Vegas', they might want a better established player to flip for more assets. That's what I meant when I said Tkachuk or Lindholm in the Smith slot. Can you imagine what Buffalo could get for Eichel if they got Tkachuk + from Calgary for Eichel and then flipped Tkachuk to St. Louis?

Who knows? I wish someone would give us some idea of what Buffalo wants from Calgary.

(Of course, if Buffalo is getting Tkachuk instead of Smith, the other three assets coming from Calgary would surely have to be much less.)
I agree with this, guessing Tre is pushing Monahan but that is unlikely due to his NMC. If Tkachuk is the asset then the add isn't much,

Tkachuk + Kylington + 2022 2nd (maybe 1st if had to)

For what we could get for Tkachuk elsewhere if it does go something like that then Tre should walk.
Old 08-04-2021, 09:11 AM   #2449
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

It wouldn't surprise me if Buffalo is only looking for futures from Calgary.

Calgary needs to move cap out, and Monny (while the preferred choice to move) would be difficult to do without taking some back.

Tkachuk would be easier to move for futures, except that there are only so many teams that can take on his entire cap hit without sending some back. ST. Louis would need to move Tarenseko to take on Tkachuk, but that's not easy either.

But if they could, Calgary could send Tkachuk to St Louis for the players discussed, and then move futures to Buffalo.
Old 08-04-2021, 09:11 AM   #2450
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard_the_duck View Post
If there’s a first involved it would also lean in the Flames direction. It’s not inconceivable it blows up spectacularly for Calgary, whereas Vegas their floor is likely picking in the 25 OA range.
Vegas just lost their Vezina-winning star goalie. I don't think it is inconceivable at all that they might take a few steps back this year and are picking a lot higher than #25.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Old 08-04-2021, 09:17 AM   #2451
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Vegas just lost their Vezina-winning star goalie. I don't think it is inconceivable at all that they might take a few steps back this year and are picking a lot higher than #25.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
It is certainly reasonable to think they might take a couple steps back. However, looking at the Pacific, a couple steps back still leaves them in 1st or 2nd in the division.

Vegas

Calgary
Edmonton

Vancouver
Seattle (who knows what they will be this year?)

Los Angeles
San Jose
Anaheim

There is only one sure playoff team in the whole division. And their pick is definitely a 20-30 pick (probably 25-30). Calgary's pick is almost certainly higher, and has the potential to be much higher.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2021, 09:20 AM   #2452
rhino
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofa GM View Post
I feel like Vegas is in the drivers seat on this one. Usually you start hearing rumblings of actual players when the deal is getting and the selling GM is trying to squeeze for a small upgrade in the assets coming back. No information, just a hunch.
Vegas would have to clear some serious cap space
Old 08-04-2021, 09:20 AM   #2453
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
It is certainly reasonable to think they might take a couple steps back. However, looking at the Pacific, a couple steps back still leaves them in 1st or 2nd in the division.

Vegas

Calgary
Edmonton

Vancouver

Los Angeles
San Jose
Anaheim

There is only one sure playoff team in the whole division.
I think you have LA far too low. They've brought in good veterans (Danault, Arvidsson, Edler) to compliment their pre-existing strengths (Kopitar, Brown, Doughty), and then have a number of significant young players breaking into the league.
Old 08-04-2021, 09:21 AM   #2454
Sofa GM
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
I think you have LA far too low. They've brought in good veterans (Danault, Arvidsson, Edler) to compliment their pre-existing strengths (Kopitar, Brown, Doughty), and then have a number of significant young players breaking into the league.
I have a feeling everyone is going to be shocked in the Pacific this year. With LA, I think you see Anaheim take a significant jump as well.
Old 08-04-2021, 09:23 AM   #2455
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

Vegas

Calgary
Edmonton

Vancouver

Los Angeles
San Jose
Anaheim

There is only one sure playoff team in the whole division. And their pick is definitely a 20-30 pick (probably 25-30). Calgary's pick is almost certainly higher, and has the potential to be much higher.
Yeah, the Pacific looks horrible. Maybe LA is ready to start moving back up?

But yeah, can't see any way Vegas isn't in the top 2 in the Pacific, even if they did get worse.
Old 08-04-2021, 09:26 AM   #2456
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Why is this trade not done yet
Old 08-04-2021, 09:26 AM   #2457
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofa GM View Post
I have a feeling everyone is going to be shocked in the Pacific this year. With LA, I think you see Anaheim take a significant jump as well.
Just looking at LA's roster - I think they may be the 2nd/3rd best team in the division, and at least as of today I likely put the standings/groupings as:

Vegas
Edmonton
LA

Calgary
Seattle
Vancouver

San Jose
Anaheim

The Kings potentially have Kaliyev, Byfield, and Vilardi all really establishing themselves this year. They're also going to be supported by a number of very strong defensive players up front. I think the Kings are poised to impress.
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2021, 09:28 AM   #2458
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:

Vegas

Calgary
Edmonton

Vancouver

Los Angeles
San Jose
Anaheim

Kind of depends on Quick but I expect the Kings to take a step forward this year. So many great young players, a couple have to emerge for them and Kopitar is still pretty good.

Seattle decided they wanted to suck, so they will.

Flames under Sutter should be fighting for a playoff spot again, probably will make it.

I predict last place for San Jose.
Old 08-04-2021, 09:33 AM   #2459
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
They might move themselves up into the Vancouver range this year, but they need to prove it before getting a bump in their rank.

The point though, was that the Pacific is flat out garbage this year. And LA is a perfect example of the point. They are a team that has been in full rebuild for the past couple years and, with a little bit of improvement, could easily shoot right up into a playoff spot, or at least compete for one.

I expect the Flames and Oilers to be easy bets for the playoffs, simply due to the lack of competition, but if they stumble (VERY possible for both of them), it could be a 7 team race of basement dwellers vying for 3 playoff spots.

Remember when Vancouver won the west with a .500 record? We're talking that level of bad for the Pacific here.
Old 08-04-2021, 09:35 AM   #2460
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Further proof of your inability to read.
Closed Thread