Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What will happen to Brad Treliving after the end of the season?
He should and will be fired 167 17.06%
He should be fired, but will continue as the Flames GM 277 28.29%
He should not and will not be fired 288 29.42%
He should not but will be fired 27 2.76%
Unsure if he should be, but he will be fired 37 3.78%
Unsure if he should be, but he will not be fired 183 18.69%
Voters: 979. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-27-2021, 10:46 PM   #4381
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Hahahaha!

You could have fooled me. The only time I think I have ever seen you post is to bitch about something or another. You sound very hopeful.
I don’t talk about what I want to happen because it’s meaningless. You seem to think there is a corpus of people who, whether by witchcraft or some widespread psychological malady, want this thing they devote a significant fraction of their time to following to be a huge waste of time and effort.

I talk about what I expect to happen because I’ve been following this team closely for a long time, like most of us here, and I’ve been jaded by years of wanting to believe the Flames are capable of more than they’ve been. But year after year all I see is the obvious financial motivation with no real commitment to building a winner that would be a life changing experience for people in this city. As long as we can be just okay enough to keep die-hard fans in the building and the gravy train keeps flowing, just stay the course.

With all due respect please remove your head from your rear end.

Last edited by mrdonkey; 07-27-2021 at 10:51 PM.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 10:49 PM   #4382
InternationalVillager
Scoring Winger

Exp:

In terms of posters criticizing others for being negative, to be honest, the Flames deserve the negativity. What have the Flames done over the past couple of years as a team on the ice and as a management off the ice (NHL wise) that they deserve positivity on their team’s fan forum?

If you want to remain positive, that’s for your own mental state. It’s not because the Flames deserve fans being positive because they don’t. So if fans are being negative, i don’t see an issue with that.
InternationalVillager is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to InternationalVillager For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2021, 10:49 PM   #4383
flamesgod
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
I would put money on the Flames having a better season as well to be honest.

Losing Gio hurts, but he’s been slowing down. A full year of Sutter is enough by itself to ensure a better year IMO.

We will see what happens tomorrow and the rest of the off season.
People seem to forget how bad crappy coaches can make a team. Not to mention all the bad habits that creep in. Takes a little time to clean up the teams game. Personally, I’m not worried at all about next season. I’m confident we will be a playoff team. If we add a big fish via trade, I think it’s possible we do some damage.
flamesgod is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flamesgod For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2021, 10:50 PM   #4384
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
I don’t talk about what I want to happen because it’s meaningless. You seem to think there is a corpus of people who, whether by witchcraft or some widespread psychological malady, want this thing they devote a significant fraction of their time to following to be a huge waste of time and effort.

I talk about what I expect to happen because I’ve been following this team closely for a long time, like most of us here,, and I’ve been jaded by years of wanting to believe the Flames are capable of more than they’ve been. But year after year all I see is the obvious financial motivation with no real commitment to building a winner that would be a life changing experience for people in this city.

With all due respect please remove your head from your rear end.
Meh. At the end of the day, it's just hockey. It's fun. There is absolutely no reason at all to take any of this seriously—I watch and follow because I enjoy it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 10:50 PM   #4385
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InternationalVillager View Post
I think the disappointing aspect of the Flames off-season so far is the lack of direction. Fans have no idea what the Flames are up to or what direction they are even thinking of heading in. I believe the lack of dialogue from management to the Fans combined with the lack of rumours being leaked has led to this. As a fan - I get it. An off-season with barely any news (thus far) is pretty lame/boring.

In Treliving’s defense (LOL!), he has been asked some pretty direct questions at his press conferences. He’s pretty much refused to give much of an answer.

The mandate is to compete without completely ruining your future.

Look at the roster- Markstrom, Gaudreau, Tkachuk, Lindholm, Tanev, etc. not to mention Sutter- he wasn’t brought in to guide a rebuild. There shouldn’t be any confusion from fans what the direction is- like it or not.

I know people are upset with the lack of movement, but I’m happy with a GM gunning for something impactful like an Eichel trade as opposed to throwing assets at borderline bad players like Ristolainen.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 10:53 PM   #4386
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Meh. At the end of the day, it's just hockey. It's fun. There is absolutely no reason at all to take any of this seriously—I watch and follow because I enjoy it.
I used to enjoy it. But I’ve been sad about the state of this team for a long time and I just want to watch good hockey before I die. This treadmill they’ve been on never seems to go anywhere and it pains me to hear they’re sticking to it.

What else am I to believe except that I’m a wallet to this organization?

Last edited by mrdonkey; 07-27-2021 at 10:55 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to mrdonkey For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2021, 10:53 PM   #4387
flamesgod
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Look at the roster- Markstrom, Gaudreau, Tkachuk, Lindholm, Tanev, etc. not to mention Sutter- he wasn’t brought in to guide a rebuild. There shouldn’t be any confusion from fans what the direction is- like it or not.

I know people are upset with the lack of movement, but I’m happy with a GM gunning for something impactful like an Eichel trade as opposed to throwing assets at borderline bad players like Ristolainen.
Ya, no kidding, let’s blow it up and rebuild with a relatively young core like that. Or, maybe we should let a real coach get a shot? Maybe see how that goes first?
flamesgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 10:53 PM   #4388
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Oilers will add Hyman and swap Larsson for Keith. I would say Hyman is a bigger add than the loss of Larsson. Garland is a positive add for the Canucks and OEL and Schmidt is a wash. I wouldn't call it major improvement but there's some measurable improvement there. Flames have got worse with the loss of Gio and I don't expect the Flames to find a defensive UFA that is better than him.
Oilers have Mike Smith and Koskinen as their goalies again...Smith going to have another career year?

Their D and bottom six were the issue and are not improved yet their team is capped out for the next 5 years

Flames have space...I hope their improvements are actual improvements and not just deck chairs

Hyman is a classic Leafs hype guy...if Hyman was on the Wild and being signed as a UFA in Carolina the deal would barely be a blip on the free agent radar. Besides, I would bet money that McDavid's PPG goes down not up next season.

Last edited by dino7c; 07-27-2021 at 10:55 PM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 10:54 PM   #4389
InternationalVillager
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

I believe “mandate is to compete without completely ruining your future” is such a cliche and a tag line for perpetual mediocrity.

In any sports team, I believe you should have 2 mandates:

1. We are in this to win at all costs.
2. We are building for the future.

Being stuck in the middle is what is truly ruinous for organizations. You can’t do both. You can’t try to win and build for the future. You’ll end up not doing either.
InternationalVillager is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to InternationalVillager For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2021, 10:54 PM   #4390
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’ve been mostly quiet about my feelings for a while, other than the odd gripe here and there.

But I can’t help but realize I’ve reached a point of apathy. I have little faith this team will be any different and I barely even care. I think I passed my boiling point a long while ago and now I’m just disinterested.

I’ve been a life long fan, and it is quite sad to absorb this feeling of “I just don’t really care”.
I want to feel different and I really want to be wrong, but sadly I don’t think that will happen.

I really never thought that Brad Treliving would be the undoing of my affinity to the Flames - I liked him for many years and he has done some great things for this organization. I’m at a bit of a loss for words...I didn’t see this coming.

Maybe this next few weeks is an upheaval but I just don’t see it. And I can’t do another season of this iteration of the roster...SOS.

Last edited by Jiggy_12; 07-27-2021 at 10:57 PM.
Jiggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 10:56 PM   #4391
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I believe “mandate is to compete without completely ruining your future” is such a cliche and a tag line for perpetual mediocrity.

In any sports team, I believe you should have 2 mandates:

1. We are in this to win at all costs.
2. We are building for the future.

Being stuck in the middle is what is truly ruinous for organizations. You can’t do both. You can’t try to win and build for the future. You’ll end up not doing either.

Yeah I don’t necessarily disagree with you, but it’s pretty clear that’s what the Flames are doing- like I said like it or not Sutter is here to try and win.

Just hoping an Eichel deal can get done.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 10:58 PM   #4392
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

LA had Kopitar. Calgary has nothing close. Not yet anyways.
Old 07-27-2021, 11:07 PM   #4393
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Imagine if all the posters who threatened to quit the flames actually did. Not just them but all the people who have expressed agony over Tre, the core, ownership, etc.

It’s like season 8 of game of thrones around here. Just a bunch of people hate watching. Except GoT ended and people moved on with their lives. The flames are forever.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2021, 11:11 PM   #4394
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Imagine if all the posters who threatened to quit the flames actually did. Not just them but all the people who have expressed agony over Tre, the core, ownership, etc.

It’s like season 8 of game of thrones around here. Just a bunch of people hate watching. Except GoT ended and people moved on with their lives. The flames are forever.
Because threatening to quit the Flames and being dissatisfied with the decision making are one and the same?

You’re better than this.
Old 07-27-2021, 11:12 PM   #4395
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
And then there are posters like you who bitch about the people bitching about hockey. Sounds even sadder.
“I know what you are but what am I?” is not an effective comeback strategy in adulthood.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 12:25 AM   #4396
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
I think the disappointing aspect of the Flames off-season so far is the lack of direction. Fans have no idea what the Flames are up to or what direction they are even thinking of heading in. I believe the lack of dialogue from management to the Fans combined with the lack of rumours being leaked has led to this. As a fan - I get it. An off-season with barely any news (thus far) is pretty lame/boring.

In Treliving’s defense (LOL!), he has been asked some pretty direct questions at his press conferences. He’s pretty much refused to give much of an answer.
I agree and this is literally the first time I’ve ever felt this way and it is weird but I kind of do think the Flames owe the fans some kind of explanation as to wtf is going on. You know, if they don’t resent them enough. Nope it’s just here’s your price increase see you in the fall.

It’s actually becoming a joke of a franchise since Hotchkiss passed away. Like you guys have been so bad for so long, and you’re doing nothing, and you don’t have a plan, and you can’t even bother to speak to the fans?

Like if anything Tre should be press conferencing an apology to the fans. The ones who pay the bills?, etc.

I’m sure Treliving is “working it” and having similar types of demands in trade discussions that this owner’s main company is known for. Almost impossible to do business with and eventually people just stop calling you because they know your position won’t even be in the same universe as reasonable. It’s how their business is conducted off the ice and hmmmmmm wonder if that same approach is taken here hmmmmm

Last edited by Mr.Coffee; 07-28-2021 at 12:30 AM.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2021, 12:50 AM   #4397
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can only speak for myself, but I watch way less than I used to. Part of that’s just life getting in the way, but I also don’t care nearly as much when they’re on in general, and haven’t for two or three years now.
Old 07-28-2021, 01:08 AM   #4398
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I suspect we'll be looking at three straight offseasons here where the Flames' biggest forward additions have been Tyler Pitlick, Josh Leivo, and Milan Lucic.

There's patience, and then there's stasis.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2021, 01:12 AM   #4399
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
I agree and this is literally the first time I’ve ever felt this way and it is weird but I kind of do think the Flames owe the fans some kind of explanation as to wtf is going on. You know, if they don’t resent them enough. Nope it’s just here’s your price increase see you in the fall.

It’s actually becoming a joke of a franchise since Hotchkiss passed away. Like you guys have been so bad for so long, and you’re doing nothing, and you don’t have a plan, and you can’t even bother to speak to the fans?

Like if anything Tre should be press conferencing an apology to the fans. The ones who pay the bills?, etc.

I’m sure Treliving is “working it” and having similar types of demands in trade discussions that this owner’s main company is known for. Almost impossible to do business with and eventually people just stop calling you because they know your position won’t even be in the same universe as reasonable. It’s how their business is conducted off the ice and hmmmmmm wonder if that same approach is taken here hmmmmm

There is a case to be made that he is a career grinder who is out of his element
DeluxeMoustache is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 06:52 AM   #4400
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I suspect we'll be looking at three straight offseasons here where the Flames' biggest forward additions have been Tyler Pitlick, Josh Leivo, and Milan Lucic.

There's patience, and then there's stasis.
Agreed, that's my guess as well...

Flames will sign a few players but they will be 4th liner types

GM will make the same type of statement as last year
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote