Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2021, 07:23 PM   #921
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Do we know which sectors those 300k jobs would be in? I get that 300k jobs is a positive but if the bulk are of the middle-management, white-collar variety, then it doesn't do much to help the working class.

There's also the whole national security aspect of trying to repatriate as many manufacturing jobs and reducing trade deficits.

It didn't detail that in this article, but likely will in another one (just started this edition, literally first article), but 300000 jobs left on the table is 300000 jobs left on the table (the opposite of what every Democratic administration claims), which is the spirit of this particular article that these soft protectionist measures are thought to strengthen American job numbers by most voters.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 07:42 PM   #922
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1356916157001965569
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to opendoor For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2021, 08:33 AM   #923
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mull View Post
This indeed was one of my 'sources'.
The other 'sources', are like the other other poster said, news stories I know more detail about that Oliver doesn't present all important facts to make a point.

I understand that is a weak argument, but frankly, it is what is. I think Oliver presents a dangerous bias view and not going to back through countless old videos to justify what specifically. His reputation, nor mine on this issue, is not worth that time from me.

When he does it again, I will remember to post back .
So I watched the video, and the only 2 things I would say he even takes issue with are 1) that Trump also uses slapp suits to his benefit and 2) that Oliver did not fully characterize all of the complaints that were in the suit against him.

Seems really really really really thin to me if this is the only example we have so far. The first point Stone agrees with what Oliver says about Trump but just points out that he has used slapp to his benefit. To me that wasn't even so much of a disagreement, just a clarification. The second point at least has a little bit of validity if the argument is 'John Oliver misleads people' in that he did characterize the suit as primarily about the 'eat sh$t bob' comments and not all the other claims. But in Stones video he screencapped several of the claims and one I noticed was labelled 45. So I do not exactly hold it against Oliver for not thoroughly addressing at least 45 claims.

Overall Stone repeatedly confirms that was Oliver said was accurate and has 1 nit picky challenge. I'm not even sure that registers as a 1/10 on the outrage scale.
This individual is not affluent and more of a member of that shrinking middle class. It is likely the individual does not have a high paying job, is limited on benefits, and has to make due with those benefits provided by employer.
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dobbles For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2021, 08:35 AM   #924
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

You sure about that? I’m a drone and always assume premium cable comedy shows are 100% unbiased news sources. Don’t be so naive, dobbles.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2021, 11:29 AM   #925
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Petty and childish, but also correct, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

https://twitter.com/user/status/1357066354617176064
Old 02-04-2021, 12:33 PM   #926
HockeyIlliterate
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Yeah, that's what I'm hoping is the decision that's made. Either that or just count it as income at tax time. Base it on 2021 income, too. Basing it on 2019 or 2020 income is just a recipe for disaster and they type of thing that could lose the Democrats the House in 2022.
I’m unemployed.

I was a highly paid professional, so my 2019 income disqualified me for a stimulus check and, because of a decent severance package, my 2020 income does (and would) disqualify me as well.

My 2021 income would likely qualify me for a check, even at the reduced income level proposed by the Republicans, but I presumably wouldn’t receive such a check until 2022, and who knows what good that would do me then?

Regardless, my only real comment about the stimulus checks is this:

I am very much against reducing the income cap level in an effort to be bipartisan. Romney et al can’t guarantee that even their own group would vote for the bill even with the stimulus check changes made to it, so I don’t see the point in the Democrats lowering the income cap.

It just strikes me as the Republicans trying to negotiate for something and then not even voting for the negotiated changes, with the end result being the Democrats end up passing a watered down bill on their own—when if they had just stayed with the original, the votes would have been the same anyway, so that once again the middle and upper middle class gets screwed.

If anything, the Democrats need to go even bigger. Stimulus checks for everyone, regardless of income. $600 weekly boost to unemployment through September. $3000 checks to those with kids. Medicare for all. $20 an hour minimum wage.

Go big. Get it all done now, in one big bill. Heck, bring on DC statehood too and pack the court while they are at it.
HockeyIlliterate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 01:01 PM   #927
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Check out this 2.7 BILLION dollar lawsuit from Smartmatic that came out today against Fox, Rudy and Sidney.
Brilliant!

1.The Earth is round. Two plus two equals four. Joe Biden and Kamala Harris won the 2020 election for President and Vice President of the United States. The election was not stolen, rigged, or fixed. These are facts. They are demonstrable and irrefutable.

2.Defendants have always known these facts. They knew Joe Biden and Kamala Harris won the 2020 U.S. election. They knew the election was not stolen. They knew the election was not rigged or fixed. They knew these truths just as they knew the Earth is round and two plus two equals four.

3.Defendants did not want Joe Biden and Kamala Harris to win the election. They wanted President Donald Trump and Vice President Michael Pence to win re-election. Defendants were disappointed. But they also saw an opportunity to capitalize on President Trump’s popularity by inventing a story. Defendants decided to tell people that the election was stolen from President Trump and Vice President Pence.

https://www.smartmatic.com/uploads/S...orporation.pdf

Last edited by Cheese; 02-04-2021 at 01:05 PM.
Cheese is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2021, 01:14 PM   #928
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Defendant Judge Pirro!
troutman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 01:18 PM   #929
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Man what happened to Jenine Pirro. It's like she got brain worms.
Wastedyouth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 01:20 PM   #930
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
Check out this 2.7 BILLION dollar lawsuit from Smartmatic that came out today against Fox, Rudy and Sidney.
Brilliant!

1.The Earth is round. Two plus two equals four. Joe Biden and Kamala Harris won the 2020 election for President and Vice President of the United States. The election was not stolen, rigged, or fixed. These are facts. They are demonstrable and irrefutable.

2.Defendants have always known these facts. They knew Joe Biden and Kamala Harris won the 2020 U.S. election. They knew the election was not stolen. They knew the election was not rigged or fixed. They knew these truths just as they knew the Earth is round and two plus two equals four.

3.Defendants did not want Joe Biden and Kamala Harris to win the election. They wanted President Donald Trump and Vice President Michael Pence to win re-election. Defendants were disappointed. But they also saw an opportunity to capitalize on President Trump’s popularity by inventing a story. Defendants decided to tell people that the election was stolen from President Trump and Vice President Pence.

Love that they are going after Maria Bartiromo as well.
greyshep is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to greyshep For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2021, 01:21 PM   #931
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

A comprehensive memo debunking voter fraud myths:
https://www.brennancenter.org/sites/...Fraud_Myth.pdf
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2021, 01:26 PM   #932
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyshep View Post
Love that they are going after Maria Bartiromo as well.
Dobbs, too.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2021, 01:27 PM   #933
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
Man what happened to Jenine Pirro. It's like she got brain worms.

Old 02-04-2021, 01:28 PM   #934
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

The latest FiveThirtyEight podcast is mostly about Bidens covid-response, but it starts with discussion on same recent polls that strongly suggest what I've been suspecting is true:

The Trumpists are at best half of the Republican party at this point, and more likely the split between Trumpists and more traditional conservatives is something like 60-40 in favour of Trump.

Unless the "Bush - conservatives" as 538 calls it pull some rabbit out of their hat, I think the next minority leaders are going to be more or less hard core Trumpists, and the more traditional conservatives are going to be pushed out of leadership positions. (To me it looks a lot like McConnell already lost the power struggle with Trump. The attack on Capitol changes nothing for the Republicans.)

(The podcast of course also points out that a large reason for this is that the difference between Trumpists and the old guard is mostly in rhetoric style rather than policy content.)

Worth listening to.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 01:51 PM   #935
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbles View Post
So I watched the video, and the only 2 things I would say he even takes issue with are 1) that Trump also uses slapp suits to his benefit and 2) that Oliver did not fully characterize all of the complaints that were in the suit against him.

Seems really really really really thin to me if this is the only example we have so far. The first point Stone agrees with what Oliver says about Trump but just points out that he has used slapp to his benefit. To me that wasn't even so much of a disagreement, just a clarification. The second point at least has a little bit of validity if the argument is 'John Oliver misleads people' in that he did characterize the suit as primarily about the 'eat sh$t bob' comments and not all the other claims. But in Stones video he screencapped several of the claims and one I noticed was labelled 45. So I do not exactly hold it against Oliver for not thoroughly addressing at least 45 claims.

Overall Stone repeatedly confirms that was Oliver said was accurate and has 1 nit picky challenge. I'm not even sure that registers as a 1/10 on the outrage scale.
I never said I was outraged. I said I think Oliver is dangerous.

I have never heard of anyone being "outraged" about a show but also saying their enjoy it so much they don't miss an episode..
Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 01:53 PM   #936
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Brilliant!

Considering he was the one who started the whole thing why the hell wasn't Trump named in this suit?
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2021, 02:16 PM   #937
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Considering he was the one who started the whole thing why the hell wasn't Trump named in this suit?
He doesnt have any money for them to receive in compensation.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 02:22 PM   #938
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Brilliant!

keep them coming. I hope these people are sued into oblivion.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 02:49 PM   #939
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Brilliant!

4D Chess defence

The Earth is flat.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 02:59 PM   #940
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mull View Post
I never said I was outraged. I said I think Oliver is dangerous.

I have never heard of anyone being "outraged" about a show but also saying their enjoy it so much they don't miss an episode..
Outrage was my adjective. I wasn't applying it to you.
This individual is not affluent and more of a member of that shrinking middle class. It is likely the individual does not have a high paying job, is limited on benefits, and has to make due with those benefits provided by employer.
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote