Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2021, 08:34 AM   #261
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder if the Falcons will make a move. Ryan isn’t getting any younger, and Watson would already have two top WRs.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 08:39 AM   #262
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I mean who won't try and make a move here? Outside the teams with high upside rookies (Bengals, Chargers, Jags) or teams with clearly better or nearly as good QBs (Bills, Chiefs, Packers, Seahawks), everyone is going to at least take a sniff. Hell if I'm the Ravens or Cards I see if I can parlay Jackson/Murray and a couple firsts because Deshaun is clearly better and the money going forward is going to be similar. It's gonna be fun to watch this unfold.
Old 01-28-2021, 08:50 AM   #263
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Doesn't Dak and this years 1st for Watson make the most sense for both sides?

Unless Texas wants to go full rebuild and aim for a Miami/Jets Package
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 08:53 AM   #264
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

nah I'd go full rebuild. You have to pay Dak immediately, plus he comes off major injury. Makes way more sense for Houston to sell the farm, stockpile picks and start from scratch. It's not like Houston is in a position to win anything ... they have no cap space, no draft picks and not a lot of talent. It really is incredible how one man managed to quickly ruin a whole franchise despite have a young franchise QB in place.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 08:54 AM   #265
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Miami for Tua and 3

GirlySports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 08:54 AM   #266
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
I mean who won't try and make a move here? Outside the teams with high upside rookies (Bengals, Chargers, Jags) or teams with clearly better or nearly as good QBs (Bills, Chiefs, Packers, Seahawks), everyone is going to at least take a sniff. Hell if I'm the Ravens or Cards I see if I can parlay Jackson/Murray and a couple firsts because Deshaun is clearly better and the money going forward is going to be similar. It's gonna be fun to watch this unfold.
Dont think the Cards or Ravens trade for Watson.

Then again, Murray back in Texas while Watson reunited with Hopkins wouldn’t be bad. Don’t think it’s worth gutting AZ’s future for almost a lateral move.
Old 01-28-2021, 08:55 AM   #267
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
Doesn't Dak and this years 1st for Watson make the most sense for both sides?

Unless Texas wants to go full rebuild and aim for a Miami/Jets Package
Wasnt Dak on the franchise tag? He’s a free agent I thought. Watson and his NTC controls his destiny, what teams offer is almost irrelevant. He has to want to go there.

Hearing all the Easterby talk maybe they can sell desaun on Philly, Wentz loves him some Bible he’d fit right in with the new Texans regime
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 08:57 AM   #268
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's why the Jets ultimately make more sense than the Dolphins. The Dolphins become Super Bowl contenders with Deshaun so next years first is in the 24-32 range. The Jets have some good young pieces, but even with Deshaun they are probably maxing out at 7-9 next year so in the 14-18 range. The only way the Dolphins make more sense is if the Texans really want Tua.
Old 01-28-2021, 08:58 AM   #269
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

I’d take a pass on Tua. Just go full rebuild and get as many picks as possible.
The Big Chill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 09:02 AM   #270
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
That's why the Jets ultimately make more sense than the Dolphins. The Dolphins become Super Bowl contenders with Deshaun so next years first is in the 24-32 range. The Jets have some good young pieces, but even with Deshaun they are probably maxing out at 7-9 next year so in the 14-18 range. The only way the Dolphins make more sense is if the Texans really want Tua.

To get Watson the Jets would have to give up the #2 pick now. Of course trading to the Dolphins to get their own pick back would be so Texans.

Old 01-28-2021, 09:04 AM   #271
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah but that's the big advantage for the Jets/Dolphins is they can probably give up only picks in the next two drafts. Anyone else is probably spreading it across three or four drafts. It would be pretty humiliating though to accept the pick you traded to ostensibly help the guy you're trading.
Old 01-28-2021, 09:11 AM   #272
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah but that's the big advantage for the Jets/Dolphins is they can probably give up only picks in the next two drafts. Anyone else is probably spreading it across three or four drafts. It would be pretty humiliating though to accept the pick you traded to ostensibly help the guy you're trading.
The Texans are always embarrassed enough, I’m sure they can handle one embarrassing trade. They need to scorch the team and rebuild.

I can’t help but think the Jets are not the best place to go but that’s just a personal hunch.
Old 01-28-2021, 09:14 AM   #273
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Deshaun is thinking of those sweet marketing bucks. Whatever advantage Miami has with income tax is probably dwarfed by what being the King of New York makes you.
Old 01-28-2021, 09:32 AM   #274
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lol at the Saints being third favorites. If the Saints get him the NFL should just go ahead and eliminate the cap.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1354816053063237641
Old 01-28-2021, 10:12 AM   #275
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Lol at the Saints being third favorites. If the Saints get him the NFL should just go ahead and eliminate the cap.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1354816053063237641
His cap hit is only 10 mil next year.
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 10:21 AM   #276
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Anything after that broncos tier is pure fantasy. Pretty sure even thinking about a trade puts the Bears over the cap
Old 01-28-2021, 11:08 AM   #277
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Deshaun is thinking of those sweet marketing bucks. Whatever advantage Miami has with income tax is probably dwarfed by what being the King of New York makes you.

Since Watson holds a no-trade clause, that sounds like he can really turn the screws if he wanted to. Because if I were him, I’d push that a team, say the Jets, send no more than one 1st-rounder or he’s blocking it. That way, he can move to the Jets without the future cupboard being bare. I’d be totally for Watson screwing Houston considering the way they tore down everything around him.

Old 01-28-2021, 11:17 AM   #278
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I mean the Texans still have significant leverage here, they aren't under the gun with no good options. The thing about the Jets and Dolphins is they have the assets to make the trade without crippling themselves long term in the draft capital sense. Most of the other possibilities will have to mortgage more in the future rather than up front.
Old 01-28-2021, 11:40 AM   #279
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

I suppose it depends on what you consider leverage. I’m waiting for the day an NFL player shows up and goes “golly all I can do is throw picks, sorry about that coach. Guess you better trade me before I tank my value completely.” Forget sitting out, show up and get an unfortunate and totally accidental case of the yips.

Until the NFL fully guarantees contracts the teams and owners can suck it. I hope Watson puts it to em good. As an assets your greatest leverage is your ability to decrease your value as an asset. Treat me like one? Ok, now I’m a toxic asset. Sucks for you cause you gotta pay me or cut me, I still get what I want.
Old 01-28-2021, 11:49 AM   #280
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I kinda feel for him, but it's not like the Texans weren't a disaster when he signed his extension not even six months ago. If he wanted to force the issue he should have refused to sign it and forced them to tag him every year till he's making $70 million a season. The thing is while he might want to tank his value, the Jets and Dolphins and others want to win now and he's their best chance to help that. They aren't going to wait, especially when they can afford the cost.