Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2020, 09:37 PM   #21
P-DAZZLE
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTech780 View Post
I wonder if they would do a taxi squad like in baseball. Allow each team to carry 3 extra players, one has to be a goalie, not count them against the cap until they are recalled from the taxi squad.
That sounds about right. And they're waiver exempt. Or at least waiver exempt a certain amount of extra times. I think the idea is based on having extra guys for stretches with many games in the condensed schedule.
P-DAZZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 03:12 AM   #22
CrispyGriz
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-DAZZLE View Post
That sounds about right. And they're waiver exempt. Or at least waiver exempt a certain amount of extra times. I think the idea is based on having extra guys for stretches with many games in the condensed schedule.
It likely simplifies the process of call ups as well. If a player needs to isolate every time that a recall was needed there would be situations where a call up couldn’t play and a team may not be able to ice a full roster. With a taxi squad, the players are already part of the group so they can step right in.
Old 10-25-2020, 03:20 AM   #23
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Every team gets three players at league minimum that don’t count towards the cap.
Yes, it can be that simple
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 05:35 AM   #24
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
I wonder if they would do a taxi squad like in baseball. Allow each team to carry 3 extra players, one has to be a goalie, not count them against the cap until they are recalled from the taxi squad.
With Covid isolation, I can't see how they can run the league without a taxi squad. During the playoffs teams had extra players in the bubble with them.

Wouldn't expanding the roster be different though. The extra guys would be sitting on the bench and be like any other player, in terms of being allowed to play.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 06:31 AM   #25
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
With Covid isolation, I can't see how they can run the league without a taxi squad. During the playoffs teams had extra players in the bubble with them.

Wouldn't expanding the roster be different though. The extra guys would be sitting on the bench and be like any other player, in terms of being allowed to play.
I think what the suggestion is that "expanding the roster" in this instance isnt allowing more guys on the ice during a game, just allowing more guys to be with the big club at any one time.

Your team roster would go to 25 instead of 23, but your game roster would still be at 20.
Old 10-25-2020, 10:16 AM   #26
P-DAZZLE
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
I think what the suggestion is that "expanding the roster" in this instance isnt allowing more guys on the ice during a game, just allowing more guys to be with the big club at any one time.

Your team roster would go to 25 instead of 23, but your game roster would still be at 20.
Yeah, I don't think there was any suggestion of adding spots to the game roster the way soccer added some substitutes when it returned.
Old 10-25-2020, 12:50 PM   #27
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post

My point was that aren't teams already doing that by having extra players in the bubble?
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 01:54 PM   #28
P-DAZZLE
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
My point was that aren't teams already doing that by having extra players in the bubble?
Well it probably has to be approved as part of all the decisions for the coming season. What happened in the bubble isn't just standard now.
Old 10-25-2020, 02:32 PM   #29
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The bubble is over. This is about what will be done in the future when there won't be a bubble.

Also, in the bubble, the games were considered postseason. The players don't get paid for the postseason and there's no cap compliance. If they're going to allow teams to carry extra players in the regular season, they need to figure out how to make that work under the cap. Right now, teams are struggling to get full rosters that are cap compliant and many teams will need to start the season with 21 or 22 man rosters.

Allowing teams to carry an additional 2 players won't matter if they still have to follow the normal cap rules because most teams won't have the space to do it.
Old 10-26-2020, 09:27 AM   #30
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Increase the roster size and allow a one-time buyout with a reduction of 50% of the buyout penalty.

Make it so that the Flames can buy out Ryan and take a cap hit for him of $520K this year and next. Gives the Flames an extra 2.6M cap space this year.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 09:34 AM   #31
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Agreed. I think Domingue, Rinaldo, and Petrovic would be our taxi squad.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 09:35 AM   #32
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
Agreed. I think Domingue, Rinaldo, and Petrovic would be our taxi squad.
This fits so well you have to wonder if they've discussed it already, and Tre acted accordingly.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2020, 10:50 AM   #33
P-DAZZLE
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
This fits so well you have to wonder if they've discussed it already, and Tre acted accordingly.
When I heard Button on the radio that was what I figured, that's why I mentioned it in the OP. It really seems like Treliving knows it is going to be this way, or is planning for it because that's what he thinks will shake out. I think they might have mentioned third goalie signings on the radio.
Old 10-26-2020, 05:37 PM   #34
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
Increase the roster size and allow a one-time buyout with a reduction of 50% of the buyout penalty.

Make it so that the Flames can buy out Ryan and take a cap hit for him of $520K this year and next. Gives the Flames an extra 2.6M cap space this year.
If the NHL introduced a one-time buyout the Flames would be buying out Lucic, not Ryan.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 06:05 PM   #35
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post

The discussion is about an expanded roster to help teams cope with a compressed schedule, not fix the effects of bad contracts.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
depth , nhl , rosters