Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-01-2021, 11:59 AM   #14641
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wonder if Schmidt is packaged with 9th OA to get Reinhart and something else. Though, I am sure any player with an NTC is keeping Buffalo on that list of teams to not be traded to.
Old 07-01-2021, 12:21 PM   #14642
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Each deadline is different but you don't need a ton of cap at the deadline - as if you have space it builds up. The Flames could also choose to retain. Nick Foligno netted a 1st at the deadline and I think Gio could do the same.
My concern though is that the Flames may not be fully "out of it" at that TDL to make that move.

But I think he's worth a late 1st at the deadline next year.
Really depends how he plays next year IMO.

You're right on the cap hit and Flames ability to retain but teams will still only have so much room cap room to spend and may have a lot of choices when it comes it higher salary players. They'll want someone with a big impact if a first round pick is in play.

But I'll be quite surprised if a Darryl Sutter coached team is out of it by the deadline so point is likely moot.
Old 07-01-2021, 01:42 PM   #14643
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
Wonder if Schmidt is packaged with 9th OA to get Reinhart and something else. Though, I am sure any player with an NTC is keeping Buffalo on that list of teams to not be traded to.
Vancouver will trade Schmidt for Duncan Keith.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2021, 03:42 PM   #14644
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/TheFourthPeriod/...627681796?s=19

Eichels agent pretty much declaring Eichels leaving Buffalo.
Old 07-01-2021, 04:38 PM   #14645
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
https://twitter.com/TheFourthPeriod/...627681796?s=19

Eichels agent pretty much declaring Eichels leaving Buffalo.
The SN headline was that they are moving toward a resolution with respect to his treatment plan, so the exact opposite interpretation - i.e. they may patch things up.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

Old 07-01-2021, 04:48 PM   #14646
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still think Minnesota comes in and gets him. It's remarkable how well they did without a top center. Just not sure if it was just a flash in the pan though. If so, well, more of a reason to go and acquire a center of Eichel's caliber.

They can offer one of Fiala/Dumba, one of Boldy/Rossi, one of their 2021 1st round picks, and probably a 2022 1st/2nd based on whether or not Minnesota makes the playoffs. The Sabres give up Eichel and maybe Miller to offset some of the salary they'd be receiving.

Fiala/Dumba
Boldy/Rossi
2021 1st (MIN)
2022 1st/2nd (based on playoffs)
Rask

for

Eichel
C. Miller

Assuming Buffalo flips Risto, Buffalo protects Dahlin/Jokiharju/Dumba and Minnesota protects Spurgeon/Suter/Brodin. Both teams take on the risk of Eichel/Rossi
Old 07-01-2021, 04:51 PM   #14647
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
Honestly, Sabres are best to wait it out until they get a great offer like Avs did with Duchene. Sakic took a lot of heat while he wasn't trading Duchene but the end result was worth it
Sakic got extremely lucky with the Duchene deal. No one on earth imagined at the time the deal was made that that draft pick would turn into Cale Makar.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Old 07-01-2021, 04:54 PM   #14648
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Sakic got extremely lucky with the Duchene deal. No one on earth imagined at the time the deal was made that that draft pick would turn into Cale Makar.

Wasn't it Byram?
Old 07-01-2021, 05:01 PM   #14649
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
Wasn't it Byram?
You may be right. Whoever it was, they drafted a damn good defenseman with that Ottawa pick that no one expected they could at the time.

Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2021, 05:22 PM   #14650
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Canucks moving on from Nate Schmidt?

https://twitter.com/user/status/1410645210267279361

Markstrom, Tanev, and Toffoli walk last season and now Schmidt is on the outs after one year. What is going on in the Nucks locker room?
Old 07-01-2021, 05:31 PM   #14651
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
You may be right. Whoever it was, they drafted a damn good defenseman with that Ottawa pick that no one expected they could at the time.

Ottawa making the Conference Finals that year really screwed over their perception of the future. They were carried by EK65 and crashed down to earth once more when he wasn't the same after that playoff run. They had no business paying a 1st for Duchene.

Something tells me Montreal may be going that route with the current run they're having.
Old 07-02-2021, 07:17 AM   #14652
Demetric
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
Markstrom, Tanev, and Toffoli walk last season and now Schmidt is on the outs after one year. What is going on in the Nucks locker room?
I think the first 3 were due to Mgmt not offering enough, not the dressing room.
Old 07-02-2021, 07:45 AM   #14653
GS Skier
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Since this string is just for fun and fantasy I thought I would toss this little bomb in.

Just spent 30 minutes perusing the Sabres Fan Forum. They have of course a long Eichel string.

In their chat rooms they want Tkachuk AND Lindholm! Anyone who thinks the league hasn't noticed Lindholm would be mistaken. Admitedly one or two Buffalo fans stated that "Calgary would never do that" but thats what Buffalo fans are chatting about when Eichel to Calgary comes up. They absolutely want Tkachuk and no mention of Gaudreau that I saw or read.
Old 07-02-2021, 08:48 AM   #14654
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS Skier View Post
Since this string is just for fun and fantasy I thought I would toss this little bomb in.

Just spent 30 minutes perusing the Sabres Fan Forum. They have of course a long Eichel string.

In their chat rooms they want Tkachuk AND Lindholm! Anyone who thinks the league hasn't noticed Lindholm would be mistaken. Admitedly one or two Buffalo fans stated that "Calgary would never do that" but thats what Buffalo fans are chatting about when Eichel to Calgary comes up. They absolutely want Tkachuk and no mention of Gaudreau that I saw or read.
Sabre fans are in for a very hard reality check when they see the return Eichel brings.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2021, 09:22 AM   #14655
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Each deadline is different but you don't need a ton of cap at the deadline - as if you have space it builds up. The Flames could also choose to retain. Nick Foligno netted a 1st at the deadline and I think Gio could do the same.
My concern though is that the Flames may not be fully "out of it" at that TDL to make that move.

But I think he's worth a late 1st at the deadline next year.
Plus inevitably there will be teams that have space due to LTIR, like Toronto, Montreal, and of course TBL. If a top 4 D man goes down, a prorated Gio would be very attractive to a contender.
Old 07-02-2021, 10:14 AM   #14656
The Original FFIV
First Line Centre

Exp:

Long way to go until training camp but trade market will be held up until after the expansion draft and/or the Eichel/Seth Jones situations sort themselves out.

Probably a result of being a Flames fan but I’m worried that we will miss out on the trade market. There’s only a finite amount of players we want to acquire and a bunch of teams also looking to make moves. So some of our targets could be in play for the bigger fish mentioned above or other teams wanting to make moves can present superior offers (like Josh Anderson last year). While some of our players have value, other teams may not see the value that Treliving places on our players (eg Monahan leading goal scorer from draft class (good) vs one dimensional defensive liability (bad).

While Arvidsson checked the rh rw box, he’s also smaller and I can see Sutter wanting a bigger team. So can’t imagine he was a primary target. Can see us having interest in the following forwards.

DeBrusk - while not a rh rw, checks the western Canadian box and can see Sutter being a fan of his play. Boston needs lh d (Hanifin) but have their 3D that they want to protect (McAvoy/Carlo/Grzelcyk) so probably something after expansion draft if it happens. Can’t see Boston in on Eichel or Jones so something that Treliving can execute without waiting for dominos to fall.

Reinhart - much discussed and fills rw rh shot box. One year left until ufa so extension needed before acquisition. Has languished in Buffalo for a while so change of scenery probably would do him good. Is Monahan straight up fair value?

Laine - another rh rw and much discussed. Comes with baggage and not sure if he’d be thrilled coming back to another small Canadian market. Rfa so holds some leverage despite having an off year. Struggled under torts, would he do same under Sutter? Given what Columbus gave up, cost would be high (Tkachuk?). Unless rumour is true and Chuckie wants out, can’t see this happening.

Kempe - not a rh rw but can play right side. Plays the game with speed and tenacity, which would endear him to Sutter. Cost would be high and would LA even give him up as they are looking to add top 6 F, not subtract. Hard to gauge value and might be a player that LA values higher than other teams. LA might be in on Eichel/Seth Jones so likelihood he’s not available until those situations are dealt with. Would they do Monahan or Hanifin if they miss out on the bigger fish?

Just hope we are able to do something around the draft as it would be a pity if we are left without a dance partner and the long awaited change doesn’t happen and we bring back the same group that has shown they can’t get it done.
Old 07-02-2021, 11:40 AM   #14657
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Eric Francis doing his typical crap on the team article, this time about Eichel.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article...mpression=true
Old 07-02-2021, 11:46 AM   #14658
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Eric Francis doing his typical crap on the team article, this time about Eichel.

For a guy who hates Eric Francis, you sure like to give him the spotlight. Clearly he’s good at his job if he’s got people reading his stuff and getting a reaction out of it.

Honestly, who cares? He’s just doing his mouthpiece job. Most market’s have someone similar whether that be Steve Simmons, Larry Brooks, or Mark Spector.

There’s no point in complaining about him. He barely worth acknowledging in my mind.

Last edited by TOfan; 07-02-2021 at 11:49 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TOfan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2021, 11:53 AM   #14659
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post
Most market’s have someone similar whether that be Steve Simmons, Larry Brooks, or Mark Spector...
Pom-pom waving, apologetic Mark Spector? One of these things is not like the others.

Quote:
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2021, 12:09 PM   #14660
Drunk Uncle
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post

Not a huge fan of Francis' schtick and sensationalism but I think the sentiment of the argument he's making isn't far off.
The Following User Says Thank You to Drunk Uncle For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread