Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-25-2021, 01:01 PM   #14381
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
I find that "character" comment weird. Honestly. He seems to be super-fitness conscious, and seems willing to try to adapt his game to what coaches want... Is that just a mirage? I guess he could be a "bad apple" away from fans' eyes, but he seemed like a decent team guy, if low-key and unable to elevate...
It is a weird choice of words. But I wouldn’t be surprised if Monahan has a reputation as a soft player who doesn’t elevate in crunch time or play hard without the puck. I just wouldn’t use the word ‘character’ there, which usually refers to off-ice personality and behaviour.
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2021, 01:04 PM   #14382
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I could see the character comment as he doesn't really stand up for his teammates, he spends a lot of time partying, or is part of the Hamilton museum appreciation club.
Old 06-25-2021, 01:17 PM   #14383
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Chief View Post
Depends how you see it. The last 31 thoughts podcast, Friedman mentioned Tochett and another unknown had flown to Seattle for final interviews. He couldn't pin down who the unknown was since he wasn't a name that was being interviewed by others. That fits Hakstol's description. Aside from naming him he was right on timing and the unknown coach part.
So he narrowed it down to 7.9 billion, minus 3 or 4 people.

Solid call on his part.
Old 06-25-2021, 01:22 PM   #14384
the_only_turek_fan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Chief View Post
Depends how you see it. The last 31 thoughts podcast, Friedman mentioned Tochett and another unknown had flown to Seattle for final interviews. He couldn't pin down who the unknown was since he wasn't a name that was being interviewed by others. That fits Hakstol's description. Aside from naming him he was right on timing and the unknown coach part.
I think he is a really good dude but most of his stuff is a lot of fluff.

“I wouldn’t be surprised if Team A did this….but I wouldn’t be surprised if they didn’t.”

Or “I really wonder about Team B…”

Such obvious stuff that everyone could come up with.

Again, I really like Friedge but sometimes there is a lack of substance.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to the_only_turek_fan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2021, 01:24 PM   #14385
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
It is a weird choice of words. But I wouldn’t be surprised if Monahan has a reputation as a soft player who doesn’t elevate in crunch time or play hard without the puck. I just wouldn’t use the word ‘character’ there, which usually refers to off-ice personality and behaviour.
'Temperament' or maybe disposition might be the better words...or lacking that 'killer instinct'.

A lot of that may have to do with being constantly banged up...being 'hurt prone' (as opposed to injury prone where you actually miss a lot of games) might be a fair knock, too. At some point one wonders if it's more than bad luck (lacking physical preparation, or inherent physical characteristics).
Old 06-25-2021, 01:32 PM   #14386
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_only_turek_fan View Post

“I wouldn’t be surprised if Team A did this….but I wouldn’t be surprised if they didn’t.”

I forget where it is, but someone suggested (in comparison to Eklund) that Friedman only floats about 20 rumours a year. I laughed and laughed.
Old 06-25-2021, 01:33 PM   #14387
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_only_turek_fan View Post

I don't think he's meant to deliver nothing but substance and inside information.

Some of it is what he's hearing, some of it is opinion based on what he knows or what he's seeing, which isn't much different than you or I outside the fact that he's closer to things in general.

I think people expect too much of hockey "insiders." I think it's worthwhile reading stuff that's just their opinion, too.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2021, 01:33 PM   #14388
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
So he narrowed it down to 7.9 billion, minus 3 or 4 people.

Solid call on his part.
Unfair IMO. He identified a reasonable category of dark horse coaching candidates...Bob Hartley, Brent Sutter, Jim Playfair, Desjardins, Gulutzan, Paul Maclean, Doug Weight, etc. ie. someone with experience, but isn't really on anybody's radar.
Old 06-25-2021, 01:34 PM   #14389
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
" I think it's worthwhile reading stuff that's just their opinion, too.
Exactly! It totally is! I don’t understand why they don’t lean into it more often. They don’t have to “hear” stuff all the time, but they tip toe around their opinions like there is more. It’s so cryptic and annoying.
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2021, 01:36 PM   #14390
the_only_turek_fan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I wish players started to question the “character” of some reporters after they publish articles that no one ends up reading.
Old 06-25-2021, 01:37 PM   #14391
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I don't think he's meant to deliver nothing but substance and inside information.

Some of it is what he's hearing, some of it is opinion based on what he knows or what he's seeing, which isn't much different than you or I outside the fact that he's closer to things in general.

I think people expect too much of hockey "insiders." I think it's worthwhile reading stuff that's just their opinion, too.
I bet EF has a ton of conversations where someone tells him "don't quote me on this, but _______". If he can confirm _____ from other sources, it'll be something he can report, but he probably has a thousand little unconfirmed nuggets that inform his 'vague speculations'.
Old 06-26-2021, 08:03 AM   #14392
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Monny and Johnny were often seen downtown partying some years back.

I believe that eventually stopped, especially in the case of Johnny. Perhaps it’s based on old info that never dies.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 06-26-2021, 08:17 AM   #14393
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Personally I’m looking forward to this up coming season especially Gaudreau and his contract situation because it’s becoming old hearing the will he stay or go debate and it distracts from just how good of a player he is and has been for this franchise. Personally hoping for an extension but either way I’m going to be happy for Johnny all this noise gets to die down again in a few months.

It’s funny for a guy everyone has always been so afraid of wanting to stay here (college fears of not signing, first big contract and waiting until the start of the season, 2 years after that the trade rumours and speculation which has only increased) Johnny has been such a dedicated Flames player and no matter what I will always look at his time here fondly.
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Heavy Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2021, 12:46 PM   #14394
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
Monny and Johnny were often seen downtown partying some years back.

I believe that eventually stopped, especially in the case of Johnny. Perhaps it’s based on old info that never dies.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

People blow things out of proportion. I’ve seen Johnny (and lots of other players) out at bars. They like to blow off some steam just like every other 20-30 year old. There has been zero issues with partying or over doing it.
Old 06-26-2021, 02:12 PM   #14395
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

According to Dreger, BJs wanted Monahan in the Josh Anderson trade talks but Treliving didn't want to give up a centre in the deal at the time

https://omny.fm/shows/the-instigator...-darren-dreger

stars around the 14 min mark

Also said out of Gaudreau, Monahan, Tkachuck, most likely Monahan gets traded.

Last edited by sureLoss; 06-26-2021 at 02:31 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2021, 02:14 PM   #14396
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Based on the contract Anderson signed, I'm happy the Flames didn't make that trade.
Old 06-26-2021, 02:16 PM   #14397
Jaydee
Scoring Winger

Exp:

monahan for kuznetsov?
Old 06-26-2021, 02:17 PM   #14398
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
According to Dreger, BJs wanted Monahan in the Josh Anderson trade talks but Treliving didn't want to give up a centre ini the deal

https://omny.fm/shows/the-instigator...-darren-dreger

stars around the 14 min mark

Also said out of Gaudreau, Monahan, Tkachuck, most likely Monahan gets traded.
The Blue Jackets hold the leafs 1st and the lightnings 1st this year. Interesting no doubt.

Bjorkstrand + Texier + Tampa 1st for Monahan?
Old 06-26-2021, 02:43 PM   #14399
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Monahan for Marchenko, Tarasov and a 2nd. If we are gonna move a center, may as well address 2 needs at once. Marchenko addresses speed, RHS and shooting on the wing, Tarasov an option for #2 behind Marky.

CLB wants our top 6 six center, we want a big scoring rhs top six winger and a back up tendy.

Last edited by dammage79; 06-26-2021 at 02:48 PM.
Old 06-26-2021, 02:44 PM   #14400
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
People blow things out of proportion. I’ve seen Johnny (and lots of other players) out at bars. They like to blow off some steam just like every other 20-30 year old. There has been zero issues with partying or over doing it.
The rumours were a little stronger than that but they are also several years old, well before Monahan settled down with his GF.
Closed Thread