Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-27-2021, 03:44 PM   #2521
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dont_trash_Dion View Post
Same Place 40,000 + Armchair Gm’s, Coaches and Rec Players do!!! CALGARY PUCK!!!!
Yes, welcome to sports discussions.

You sure seem to hate it here based on all your comments. What approved topics are we allowed to discuss?
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 03:49 PM   #2522
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Yes, welcome to sports discussions.

You sure seem to hate it here based on all your comments. What approved topics are we allowed to discuss?
Ignore this one, clearly one of the brainless wonders from 960.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 04:17 PM   #2523
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

At least Pat will get semi-normal amounts of sleep now.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Freeway For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2021, 04:53 PM   #2524
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's a shame really. Call-in shows after a game are kind of a tradition and would be fun to tune in occasionally..
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2021, 05:02 PM   #2525
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post
Poor Robert.
I am assuming he was the older gentlemen that always got thru?
Old 09-27-2021, 05:04 PM   #2526
Dont_trash_Dion
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Not at all what I was saying. It’s hilarious the infighting that goes on here! I Maybe a troll. I guess. It’s all good!
Dont_trash_Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 05:06 PM   #2527
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
I am assuming he was the older gentlemen that always got thru?
Not sure if he's older but, yeah, he was always on. He was the guy that says, "come on Patty, you know what Patty, listen to me Patty.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 05:10 PM   #2528
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeway View Post
At least Pat will get semi-normal amounts of sleep now.

Pat is the anti-Charles Barkley.
Old 09-27-2021, 06:07 PM   #2529
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Well thats kind of a bummer. I enjoyed tuning in late after a game while walking the dogs on winter nights. Definitely became formulaic with typical callers but was still mostly entertaining and beats listening to canned CBS sports radio content.
greyshep is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to greyshep For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2021, 06:22 PM   #2530
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pat did yeoman's work to stick to that late night gig year after year. I think it's the humane decision for all involved to cancel.
dustygoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 08:25 PM   #2531
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Darn, Overtime was one of my favorite things on the station. I liked the regular callers and I thought both Pat and Rob did fantastic jobs. Pinder was good too when he subbed in.

Hopefully it comes back when the Flames are more exciting
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2021, 01:58 AM   #2532
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

As a regular caller into the Overtime segment, I will admit that it was a small but powerful group of fans who would call in. I don't know how profitable of a segment it was since I assume they were paying several employee's to run it.

That being said, I don't know if canceling it entirely is the best play either. Sure a Monday or Tuesday game vs Columbus doesn't really have a lot to discuss but weekend games or games vs Canadian teams makes sense.

I don't think there is anything wrong with having a segment of 25 games as a season to get the blood boiling on the fan! I know Pat and I think it might have been difficult with the level of hours the guy was doing as well, hopefully he makes the most of it too!
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to curves2000 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2021, 05:10 AM   #2533
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dont_trash_Dion View Post
Not at all what I was saying. It’s hilarious the infighting that goes on here! I Maybe a troll. I guess. It’s all good!
Phaneuf sucks.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2021, 06:35 AM   #2534
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

The city has lost enthusiasm for the team. You don't see people wearing Flames gear (I see more people wearing Oilers colors at work) or even talking about the Flames over the water cooler. They have followed the footsteps of the Stampeders where people still go to the games but nobody talks about them during the week.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 07:46 AM   #2535
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
The city has lost enthusiasm for the team. You don't see people wearing Flames gear (I see more people wearing Oilers colors at work) or even talking about the Flames over the water cooler. They have followed the footsteps of the Stampeders where people still go to the games but nobody talks about them during the week.
I think there are a few factors playing into it but I agree. I personally have never been this disinterested but I think outside factors play into it a bit.

Thing is we haven’t watched this team live in real action for 19 months. They went into the bubble and when it looked like they might be able to turn a corner and are 12 seconds away from a 3-1 series lead they choke it away and lose 3 straight including giving up 7 unanswered in an elimination game.

Everyone thinks they will make a massive deal as the season turns over. All that happens is Tanev and Markstrom are signed and Brodie, Talbot and Hamonic (who we all know they spent a fortune to acquire) walk for nothing.

The next season starts with excitement of an all Canadian division and the team comes out completely flat. Even an exciting coaching change to Darryl Sutter cant save them. They completely miss the playoffs after being best in the west 2 years ago.

We are all excited for what should be imminent and sizable change to the core. Gio goes to Seattle as predicted but the only response is a 6 year deal to a middle 6 player who is about to turn 30 and a 1 year rental on a big lumbering 4-6 Dman. I am not surprised people are not that excited about the team.

Last edited by Vinny01; 09-28-2021 at 07:49 AM.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2021, 08:15 AM   #2536
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I think there are a few factors playing into it but I agree. I personally have never been this disinterested but I think outside factors play into it a bit.

Thing is we haven’t watched this team live in real action for 19 months. They went into the bubble and when it looked like they might be able to turn a corner and are 12 seconds away from a 3-1 series lead they choke it away and lose 3 straight including giving up 7 unanswered in an elimination game.

Everyone thinks they will make a massive deal as the season turns over. All that happens is Tanev and Markstrom are signed and Brodie, Talbot and Hamonic (who we all know they spent a fortune to acquire) walk for nothing.

The next season starts with excitement of an all Canadian division and the team comes out completely flat. Even an exciting coaching change to Darryl Sutter cant save them. They completely miss the playoffs after being best in the west 2 years ago.

We are all excited for what should be imminent and sizable change to the core. Gio goes to Seattle as predicted but the only response is a 6 year deal to a middle 6 player who is about to turn 30 and a 1 year rental on a big lumbering 4-6 Dman. I am not surprised people are not that excited about the team.
I'm not talking about the hardcore fans. Sure many of us are not invested in this current team but we still discuss and will watch the games. It's the casual fans that have moved on IMO. The Flames don't have that McDavid player or top young prospect to generate interest of casual fans. The casual fans look at the roster and see the same team that's done nothing for years so they shrug their shoulders and move on.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 08:20 AM   #2537
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I'm not talking about the hardcore fans. Sure many of us are not invested in this current team but we still discuss and will watch the games. It's the casual fans that have moved on IMO. The Flames don't have that McDavid player or top young prospect to generate interest of casual fans. The casual fans look at the roster and see the same team that's done nothing for years so they shrug their shoulders and move on.
I have been working from home for the last 19 months so just not as exposed to the day to day as I was when working in an office and going out more. That definitely is playing into things and I am sure the fact people are just mingling less will minimize small talk about a team who has done nothing but disappoint since the 2019 playoffs
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 11:45 AM   #2538
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post
Not sure if he's older but, yeah, he was always on. He was the guy that says, "come on Patty, you know what Patty, listen to me Patty.
i always assumed that he had a direct phone number to call in.

shows like this can be interesting, sonsidering many folks don't have a chancve for some regular water cooler chat at work, but unfortunately the show gets dominated with guys that seem to think the home team can bundle up two 4th liners for a #1C.

would be interesting to see, if the flames ever get playoff traction again, if they resurrect the show at all
Old 09-28-2021, 11:39 PM   #2539
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

IMO, there are two ways for sports call in shows to function - the right way and the wrong way.

The wrong way is Straightforward “we wanna hear from you/join the conversation” bull####. A nutless monkey could do that job.

The right way is Making the callers the brunt of the joke.

Nobody needs to hear Robert’s straight take on the Flames.

Rome refers to his callers as clones because they’re all different versions of the exact same loser, and he’s right.

Drunks calling the radio is only fun if you light them up. It isn’t fun if you treat them like their opinions matter.
Old 09-29-2021, 01:17 AM   #2540
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

I hope that’s intended to be green text.

Rome is a jackass. Good interviewer, to be fair, actually a really good interviewer, when things are quiet, but frankly a d bag when doing his schtick. Sadly that’s what gets a good chunk of the audience.

I get that there is a part of sports that involves trash talk. But that’s when the rules of the game are essentially agreed upon

‘Owning’ people for entertainment, especially if the people being ‘owned’ are not malicious in their intent, is a ####ty thing in general. Especially publicly. Truly disappointing
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post: