Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2018, 10:22 PM   #501
Flamenfame
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
lol @ yourself...Smith had better numbers last season and they have the exact same career save percentage despite Elliott playing on much better teams.

If you think Smith cost the Flames the game last night you are out to lunch

Four goals
2 on 1
2 on 1
2 on 0
Breakaway
How many times has Smith been in playoffs lol how many times has elliot lol Smith is utter junk and we will miss playoffs again with him book it
Flamenfame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 10:27 PM   #502
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenfame View Post
How many times has Smith been in playoffs lol how many times has elliot lol Smith is utter junk and we will miss playoffs again with him book it
Punctuation is your friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2018, 10:44 PM   #503
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenfame View Post
That's like saying an average player or goalie who has a ring is better than Iggy or Kipper.

Elliott may have made the playoffs more but he didn't have to play for a pathetic Coyotes team that no goalie would be able to get into the playoffs.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 10:48 PM   #504
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Toews has fallen off, but he was a lot more than just his points when they were winning Cups.

So is Monahan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chummer View Post
If he was that good he would have a job in the NHL. 31 GM's disagree with you.

This doesn’t quite ring true because someone who was thought to be one of the top coaches available is still unemployed 6 months later. Alain Vigneault.
Old 10-04-2018, 10:53 PM   #505
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterJoji View Post
So is Monahan.
I disagree. Especially if you're trying to compare it with the package Toews brought to the Hawks.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 10:59 PM   #506
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Yep, we need better forwards than Gaudreau, that's the problem. Let's go call Jim Rutherford and trade a bunch of add-ons for Evgeni Malkin. See if that'd work.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 11:08 PM   #507
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Monahan looked mediocre as always, honestly. I never understood the "he's finally healthy!!!" meme. Same player. It's actually disturbing to me how slow he is. Sucks defensively, and just sits in the slot all day waiting to be spoonfed chances. Can't wait for the Monahan 1C era to be over. I talked to the chief and he told me that this definitely is not it.
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 11:11 PM   #508
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
He's not a sidekick on this team, and that's why we won't be contenders. You can absolutely win with him, but you'd better have some other forwards that are better and more impactful. It's not his fault, the team just isn't good enough.
Yeah I understood what your point was, but it still doesn’t make sense. Do the Oilers need to find a better forward than McDavid to be a contender as well? The Flames don’t need a better forward than Gaudreau, what they need are more players like Gaudreau. Guys who can make other players around them better or help carry the load when the top line is shut down.

Last season, if the top line didn’t score, we didn’t win. Singling out our best player for this team’s lack of success is such cop out. I’d blame the rest of the forwards or the GM for not finding him enough support. It’s like the Iginla-Kiprusoff era all over again. We’ve been a 1 line team for years and only until this past summer has it been addressed.

The way I look at is, Gaudreau plays 19 minutes a game or approximately 30% of the game. He and his line do their part to help the team win the game, but games are typically being lost in the other 70% of the game. The 3M line can quite often be just as effective as the 1st line, but last season there was definite regression from their 16-17 performance which contributed to the failure that was the 17-18 season.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 11:11 PM   #509
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
Monahan looked mediocre as always, honestly. I never understood the "he's finally healthy!!!" meme. Same player. It's actually disturbing to me how slow he is. Sucks defensively, and just sits in the slot all day waiting to be spoonfed chances. Can't wait for the Monahan 1C era to be over. I talked to the chief and he told me that this definitely is not it.
If this post is serious, I give it a solid :/ out of 10.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2018, 11:23 PM   #510
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Old 10-04-2018, 11:27 PM   #511
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
If this post is serious, I give it a solid :/ out of 10.
I'll give yours pandering for internet back pats / 10

(Everyone go thanks his post guys, he made a funny joke)
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 11:30 PM   #512
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
Yeah I understood what your point was, but it still doesn’t make sense. Do the Oilers need to find a better forward than McDavid to be a contender as well? The Flames don’t need a better forward than Gaudreau, what they need are more players like Gaudreau. Guys who can make other players around them better or help carry the load when the top line is shut down.

Last season, if the top line didn’t score, we didn’t win. Singling out our best player for this team’s lack of success is such cop out. I’d blame the rest of the forwards or the GM for not finding him enough support. It’s like the Iginla-Kiprusoff era all over again. We’ve been a 1 line team for years and only until this past summer has it been addressed.

The way I look at is, Gaudreau plays 19 minutes a game or approximately 30% of the game. He and his line do their part to help the team win the game, but games are typically being lost in the other 70% of the game. The 3M line can quite often be just as effective as the 1st line, but last season there was definite regression from their 16-17 performance which contributed to the failure that was the 17-18 season.
The McDavid thing is a silly comparison. Do the Oilers need to find a player better than a top three player in the league, at center, because the Flames need someone other than Gaudreau to be the main guy up front? No, why would they? How is that relevant?

If you construct your team and your top forward is a flashy winger who can't really play physical, you're in trouble if you think you're going to be a legit contender.

I'm not blaming Gaudreau for this situation. He gives what he can, I don't disparage his skill or what he supplies. It's a team construction problem. We didn't get the level of talent that would have put us at the top of the league. Bad luck, bad picks, mediocre development, a combination of all of it, whatever. It's just where we are now.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 11:40 PM   #513
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

For all the sweeping generalizations made after 1 game about JG being slow out of shape and not comitted to being elite anymore, and Smith being washed up, the bright side when using that same logic is that Tkachuk and Monahan will get 82 goals and Gudbranson is on pace for almost 740 minutes in penalties.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2018, 12:13 AM   #514
Brick
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass_nerder View Post
We definitely didn't play well, but I also think Markstrom played the best game I can remember him playing against us. Ever.
The Flames have a knack for making most opposing goalies look like they are Vezina candidates. Too often they seem to be unwilling to go into the tough areas to score. Way too much perimeter stuff happening.
Brick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 12:24 AM   #515
---Hatrick---
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Just stop. You’ve been beating this drum for as long as I can remember. And a while back I recall you trying to convince us that Horvat is better than Monahan. Just stop. It was game f****** one. We get it, you don’t like Monahan. He’s a consistent goal scoring first line Center. Accept it
Old 10-05-2018, 01:06 AM   #516
Flamenfame
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
That's like saying an average player or goalie who has a ring is better than Iggy or Kipper.

Elliott may have made the playoffs more but he didn't have to play for a pathetic Coyotes team that no goalie would be able to get into the playoffs.
Elliot after slow start was money down the stretch as Flames made playoffs with a much weaker team than last season that Season Flyers missed playoffs , last season with stronger team and better play by our top players we miss playoffs with the joker Smith but low and behold Flyers make playoffs with Elliot , the homerism in here is why this team is allowed to #### the bed ,and the homer fans lie in it.
Flamenfame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 01:28 AM   #517
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Your opinion = NG.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2018, 01:35 AM   #518
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The days between game 1 and 2 are probably the most dramatic here every year since we routinely lose the first one badly.

Always insaaaane overreactions. Then the team plays lights out then next game and everyone flips to the other end of the emotional spectrum and "this is the real team, I knew it!", then we get something in between and it dawns on everybody again that it's a long season and the overall the team is somewhere kind of somewhere the middle and there are too many highs and lows to ride that rollercoaster game to game and we slowly step back and level out a bit.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2018, 01:46 AM   #519
Buck Murdock
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Who's kidding who...it was the China trip. Had they had a better training camp and preseason they would have been better prepared instead of playing so sleepy. Boston got destroyed as well.
Buck Murdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 01:48 AM   #520
Kybb79
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Murdock View Post
Who's kidding who...it was the China trip. Had they had a better training camp and preseason they would have been better prepared instead of playing so sleepy. Boston got destroyed as well.
Boston lost to the Cup champs. We lost to a lottery team.
Kybb79 is offline   Reply With Quote