Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2021, 11:50 AM   #3681
MacFlame
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Guys like Rock, Orton, Cena, and Brock tend to be the exception in terms of being young guys in Wrestling that were able to draw.

Austin was 32 when he won his first title, Foley was 33.
Both guys were in the WWE for years (their 20's) prior to that.

Quote:

Punk was 33 for the Summer of Punk.

Byran was 33 for Wrestlmania 30 and the Yes Movement.
That's my point. They were over at that age. The WWE is bringing in guys NOW that are already late 30's.

Quote:
Early to mid-thirties isn't that old for a Wrestler traditionally and 4 years is a long long time in wrestling. Really if you spend 4 years as a main eventer in Wrestling then you are doing really well.
It's not. But that's not what's happening here. NXT has late 30 year olds ready to make the jump. Karrion Kross is being brought up to the main roster at 36! This isnt comparable to Austin winning the title at 32.

Quote:
Guys like Cole and Andrade are still early 30s and have a lot they can give to AEW still.
Andrade I'll give you, but he asked for his release and Cole LEFT the company.
MacFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 11:53 AM   #3682
MacFlame
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Here is the problem though.

WWE has been hiring tons of young names for the development center over the last 10 years, it's not like they've only hired the more well known indie guys for NXT. Problem is they haven't really been able to actually convert any of those young guys to stars. So the question is are they just #### at actually developing their own stars now, or have they just focused on the wrong type of people to start with.
Tough to say, but either way they have to fix it now. They fubar'd it...no doubt.
MacFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 12:37 PM   #3683
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

DDP started getting into wrestling when he was 35
Muta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 02:12 PM   #3684
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think they are just at different points as a company, bryan said it in the clip of him talking to the fans after all out, hes happy he can actually talk about wrestling again and use that word

He also said basically the opposite of punk, in that he loves working in wwe, loved the people, yet he still wanted to go to AEW because of the wrestlers and the fans. Cole said in the media scrum after how it was an easy decision for him.

Wwe now only ever gets to good levels when they have the talent to basically rise above the horrible booking, which is why new day, drew, roman, ko, becky, seth etc. Are still entertaining, and everyone else just falls flat. The writers all seem to be ex tv writers who dont know wrestling

The fans too are a huge part, when I said aew are at attitude era levels, so much of that is just the fans, they are hot 90% of the time. It makes an huge difference, wwe crowds are hot maybe 10%? The fans back bump lasted like 2 weeks for wwe crowds

They need to end the brand split, make it so its not the same matches every week, sure you see the top people every week, but sometimes only in a backstage promo, aew does this really well

They also use dark and elevation as what nxt should be, its developmental for everyone, with a few older big names to main event so the youtube thumbnail can have mox or jungle boy on it
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 09:11 AM   #3685
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

There was a rumor that Vince wanted to take Adam Cole and make him a manager for Keith Lee...and that Cole would play the role Lio Rush played with Lashley.

That's madness.

I could see like a Shawn Michaels - Diesel type of scenario being interesting for Cole and Lee, but to make him purely a manager is ridiculous.

Vince really has lost his marbles at this point. Honestly it's really only Reigns+Heyman that are saving the company at this point, and I highly doubt heel Reigns was Vince's idea.

Quote:
And I would say, ‘I don’t know if I want to gamble to such an extent that I’m willing to have everything I’ve done watered down or made a joke of.’ If somebody is a more intriguing character in NXT than they are in WWE, and it seems almost by design, I think that’s a big, big problem.”
Foley made this comment on Sean Waltman's podcast too, and I really think there might be something to this. Really feels like Vince has some pettiness towards NXT for some reason and is almost intentionally sabotaging those guys on the main roster over the last year.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 09-10-2021 at 09:14 AM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 09:31 AM   #3686
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Sounds like HHH had a genetic anomaly that caused a cardiac arrest and he had to undergo surgery.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 11:37 AM   #3687
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Sounds like HHH had a genetic anomaly that caused a cardiac arrest and he had to undergo surgery.
An unfortunate consequence of life long steroid use. The amount that wrestlers have abused their bodies for our entertainment is humbling.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 11:41 AM   #3688
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Do you think this is related to him taking a step back from nxt or unrelated?
Old 09-10-2021, 11:44 AM   #3689
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

On a side note it's pretty ridiculous that Rampage doesn't appear to be on the linear TSN channels tonight....need to make sure that Toronto vs Hamilton CFL game is on both TSN 4 and TSN 5 for some reason.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2021, 03:25 PM   #3690
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
Do you think this is related to him taking a step back from nxt or unrelated?

I think that there is a possibility that this is a factor in him being dropped as the EVP for development which includes NXT, and some of his jobs vanishing.

Its just a guess though.

I know I've read articles that Vince was really unhappy about NXT losing to AEW.

But we know that guys like Pritchard will take advantage of anything .

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2021, 03:26 PM   #3691
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
An unfortunate consequence of life long steroid use. The amount that wrestlers have abused their bodies for our entertainment is humbling.

Possibly, when HHH kept making those comebacks, he always looked a little bit over inflated.

Old 09-10-2021, 06:23 PM   #3692
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
On a side note it's pretty ridiculous that Rampage doesn't appear to be on the linear TSN channels tonight....need to make sure that Toronto vs Hamilton CFL game is on both TSN 4 and TSN 5 for some reason.
The first dance was the only time

And tsn doesnt have an app for any streaming devices, it's very annoying
The Following User Says Thank You to d_phaneuf For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2021, 09:59 AM   #3693
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

I doubt Tony Khan lets that one go for very long. Rampage will find a home in Canada in due time, even if it's not with TSN.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 10:09 AM   #3694
LIP MAN
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Icon56

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_phaneuf View Post
The first dance was the only time

And tsn doesnt have an app for any streaming devices, it's very annoying
The Xbox has one, it’s how we’ve watched Rampage. Very frustrating that it’s not on cable though. Seriously isn’t that hard with 5 channels and an hour of content.
LIP MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LIP MAN For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2021, 02:14 PM   #3695
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya I tried to even sideload the Android app onto firestick and the orientation just messes up

The tsn website is a mess with the silk browser

Rampage is taped most of the time anyway, just put it on tsn 5 at 2am or whatever so it could at least be recorded, or on their on demand

Really frustrating
Old 09-11-2021, 06:09 PM   #3696
Julio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_phaneuf View Post
Ya I tried to even sideload the Android app onto firestick and the orientation just messes up

The tsn website is a mess with the silk browser

Rampage is taped most of the time anyway, just put it on tsn 5 at 2am or whatever so it could at least be recorded, or on their on demand

Really frustrating

Rampage is available on demand at TSN's site and on mobile, but more would be good.
Maybe after the CFL season (and Friday Night Football) is done they will find a spot for Rampage.
Old 09-12-2021, 06:10 PM   #3697
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Joe gives up the NXT Championship due to injuries and doesn't know when he'll be back. I love Joe and his style and work rate, but its time for him to pack it in. The WWE kinda knew he was made out of glass at this point in his career and made him a commentator and he was excellent. Its time for him to return to that role.

Old 09-13-2021, 09:11 PM   #3698
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1437613456421752836
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 09:24 PM   #3699
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Honestly I was a little surprised because Lashley is exceptionally good. But this is big news.

Some fun segments on Raw. Alexa and Charlotte continue to knock it out of the park.

Old 09-14-2021, 08:22 AM   #3700
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

One thought is they usually do champion vs champion at Survivor Series...so maybe they keep the belt on Big E until then.

Let's them do New Day vs Bloodline in the build.

And you have Reigns go over Big E and don't have Lashley or Reigns face each other.
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post: