Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2021, 02:26 PM   #721
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
ok so pretty much all the leaks on the Pixel 6 turned out to be true, with the Pro version getting the 6.7" 120Hz screen, 12GB RAM and telephoto lens. dammit I have resisted the behemoth phone trend up to this point, but I think there's a bit too much difference between the two models now to pass up.

this is going to be a monster leap from my toddler sized Pixel 2, just hoping my pants don't explode (or if they do it's from how awesome the phone performs and not how physically large it is).

Yeah, I'm thinking along the same lines. I still may get the smaller version, but the pro is waaay better spec-wise.

BTW, I like the grey/white combo the best, I think. What about you?
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 03:11 PM   #722
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Yeah, I'm thinking along the same lines. I still may get the smaller version, but the pro is waaay better spec-wise.

BTW, I like the grey/white combo the best, I think. What about you?
sadly I'll be throwing a case over these two-tone schemes so it doesn't make a difference for me, but I'm old school and will typically always go with black. the grey/white is a close 2nd though.

supposedly the AI processing is fast enough that these will be able to optimize/fix blurry, dark or grainy video in real time. that will be put to the test at launch as video has always been where the Pixels lagged a bit. but I'm super excited about the still shot performance. I swear my ancient P2 still does better, more convincing portrait photography than the iPhone 12. someone just showed me some portrait shots from their brand new iPhone and the bokeh is just...fake as hell.

my goal is to relegate my mirrorless camera equipment to very specific situations like wildlife or sports, where the mega zoom insane shutter speed can't quite be replicated in a phone yet.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2021, 08:37 PM   #723
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
ok so pretty much all the leaks on the Pixel 6 turned out to be true, with the Pro version getting the 6.7" 120Hz screen, 12GB RAM and telephoto lens. dammit I have resisted the behemoth phone trend up to this point, but I think there's a bit too much difference between the two models now to pass up.

this is going to be a monster leap from my toddler sized Pixel 2, just hoping my pants don't explode (or if they do it's from how awesome the phone performs and not how physically large it is).

Shut up and take my money!
Old 08-12-2021, 04:13 PM   #724
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Man, I'm also loving the new Galaxy Flip 3. It's between that and the Pixel 6 for me.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2021, 11:18 AM   #725
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can hardly wait until the Pixel 6 Pro comes out..going to grab one for sure.
Cheese is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 07:42 AM   #726
CaptainReboot
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Anybody here familiar with Xiaomi phones? My dad is looking for one. He has an old Redmi Note 4 now but is looking for a replacement, most likely the Redmi Note 10 Pro. The only site I really know of that sells them in Canada is https://www.mi4canada.com/
CaptainReboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 07:16 PM   #727
Iceman90
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainReboot View Post
Anybody here familiar with Xiaomi phones? My dad is looking for one. He has an old Redmi Note 4 now but is looking for a replacement, most likely the Redmi Note 10 Pro. The only site I really know of that sells them in Canada is https://www.mi4canada.com/
As far as I know that's the best place to buy Xiamoi phones in Canada. I don't know if it's the case with modern phones, but you might want to check the network bands it operates on. I have a cousin who bought an early Xiamoi phone and it didn't operate on all the same bands as we had in Canada so at the time he could only get 3G speeds.

Why does your Dad want a Note 4? What features are drawing him to it?
Old 08-14-2021, 09:10 PM   #728
CaptainReboot
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman90 View Post
As far as I know that's the best place to buy Xiamoi phones in Canada. I don't know if it's the case with modern phones, but you might want to check the network bands it operates on. I have a cousin who bought an early Xiamoi phone and it didn't operate on all the same bands as we had in Canada so at the time he could only get 3G speeds.

Why does your Dad want a Note 4? What features are drawing him to it?
I think he likes the UI on the Xiaomi's. Plus he wants something with a larger screen. I did check the Note 10 on https://www.kimovil.com/en/frequency-checker/CA and it looks like the global version should be ok here.
CaptainReboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 09:48 PM   #729
Iceman90
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

We're seeing some of the high end Android manufacturers promising longer and longer support for Android updates. It is rumoured the Pixel 6 will come with 5 years of updates.

As cyber security becomes a more and more mainstream concern for many, do you think that offering longer update cycles will impact buying decisions for consumers (or corporations buying devices for employees)?

And what do you think a reasonable update cycle for a mid range to high end phone should be?
Old 08-14-2021, 10:32 PM   #730
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

3 years is probably sufficient
Old 08-19-2021, 12:34 PM   #731
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
3 years is probably sufficient
I think 5 years would be great. My Pixel 2 (3.5 years old) still runs everything really smoothly, so I'm sad that it's no longer receiving security updates.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 02:04 PM   #732
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Man, I'm also loving the new Galaxy Flip 3. It's between that and the Pixel 6 for me.
I'm reeeeallly looking at the Fold 3, myself. I may even pull the trigger on one today.

https://www.samsung.com/ca/smartphon...xy-z-fold3-5g/
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 02:06 PM   #733
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post
I have a perfectly functioning Samsung s8 and just got an email from my company's it dept saying unless I update to a new phone I won't be able to access corporate email etc. They say my software is more than 8 months old and the s8 is no longer getting updates (from android 9 to 10?)

Sucks as the phone works just fine.
Tell them if they want you to acess corporate emails on your phone, they should pay for your phone.
Old 08-25-2021, 04:22 PM   #734
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
I'm reeeeallly looking at the Fold 3, myself. I may even pull the trigger on one today.

$2,269.99?! I'm just gonna buy two Pixel 6's and duct tape them together.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2021, 11:12 PM   #735
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post

So I ended up preordering one of these on Aug 25th. We're currently 50mins away from it being Sep 13th, and my $2400 order is still sitting at the processing stage. Latest I've been told by them (Samsung) is they won't have any new stock until Sep 20th at the earliest.

Sometimes I really hate being an early-adopter.
Old 09-25-2021, 10:03 AM   #736
boosterjuice
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Holy crap, love my fold 3. Total game changer.
boosterjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to boosterjuice For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2021, 11:13 AM   #737
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Yes, I finally got mine on Thursday of last week (almost a full month after ordering it), and I love it. Unexpected bonus: actual tablet apps on my phone now!
Old 10-04-2021, 07:08 PM   #738
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

I just received a Pixel 6 Pro case from Amazon I had ordered to figure out if the size was going to work for me. I'm pleasantly surprised that it's not obnoxiously big. I'll be going that route, I'm 90% sure.
Old 10-06-2021, 09:48 AM   #739
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pixel users....how's your adaptive charging working out for you? Mine seems to only work if I restart it at some point in the day. Occasionally it will do it without a restart. Yes, I have an alarm set in the required time frame as well as plugging it in at the correct time.

Really wish they'd fix this. A good, slow overnight charge with a battery full by the time the alarm is set to go off would really help battery life.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 10:30 AM   #740
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mine doesn't seem to do it properly. Alarm is 5:30 but it's fully charged long before that.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote