Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-31-2015, 02:22 PM   #1
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:
Thumbs up Something different: Johnny Hockey leads the league in assists

I think this kid is going to be magical. He's getting all these points while our team is continuously losing. Can you imagine how many points he would be getting if our team was winning?

He shows chemistry with whoever he plays with, and I have a really good feeling about the Gaudreau - Bennett combo.

To me it seems like he could be capitalizing even more, a lot of misses by teammates that he is setting up, and not many goals yet. When the team starts winning and other players get confidence to finish off his passes, he could jump up even more.

Currently on pace for something like:
82 GP: 7G, 82A = 89 pts

I know it's way early but can you imagine 82 assists? When is the last time somebody even had that many? He'll probably normalize to something like 20-50=70 but with Johnny, you never know.
Old 10-31-2015, 02:27 PM   #2
Patek23
Franchise Player

Exp:

As much as I'm not so sure about the team as a whole turning things around. I only see Johnny getting better. He's getting the respect now from defenders who don't want to look silly by having him dance around them and it's giving him a lot more room to dish out the puck. The Flames have yet to have a hot scorer. We get someone who starts finding the back of the net consistently and I have no doubt you'll find its Johnny dishing them the puck. I had high hopes for him this season and some of the displays of skill I've seen on his part have left me a lot more excited for his development than I was originally. Mark my words Gaudreau will be a superstar in this league.
Patek23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 02:32 PM   #3
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Something I noticed in the last quarter of the previous season has been mentioned a few times in recent weeks now by commentators:

He's literally causing opposing defenders to panic when entering the zone. It's funny to see because it's very noticeable in some cases. You can quote noticeably see them back off and give him space because they recognize who's coming in on them and know if they come toward him he'll make them look silly.

It's exciting to see how that opens space for him, and he doesn't need a lot of it to work his magic.

He's definitely been a bright spot and and is only going to get better. I think he's bordering on being / showing he can grow into a franchise type player.

Last edited by GoJetsGo; 10-31-2015 at 02:44 PM.
GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 02:34 PM   #4
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBI View Post
... He'll probably normalize to something like 20-50=70 but with Johnny, you never know.
I honestly think I would be disappointed with a 70-point season from Gaudreau this year. He is going to win the Art Ross one day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2015, 02:41 PM   #5
Crumpy-Gunt
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I wouldn't be dissapinted by it 70pts from Johnny. I do know he has the ability to get more.
Crumpy-Gunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 02:43 PM   #6
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJetsGo View Post
Something I noticed in the last quarter of the previous season has been mentioned a few times in recent weeks now by commentators:

He's literally causing opposing defenders to panic when entering the zone. It's funny to see because it's very noticeable in some cases. You can quote noticeably see them back off and give him space because they recognize who's coming in on them and know if they come toward him he'll make them look silly.

It's exciting to see how that opens space for him, and he does need a lot of it to work his magic.

He's definitely been a bright spot and and is only going to get better. I think he's bordering on being / showing he can grow into a franchise type player.
I agree with everything you've written. I do worry about the cheap shots he's taking, though.
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 02:53 PM   #7
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick M. View Post
I agree with everything you've written. I do worry about the cheap shots he's taking, though.
The one's he's receiving, right? Not giving?
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 03:14 PM   #8
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah Johnny has been Johnny this year, thankfully. And sadly it does get lost in the ocean of negativity and hysteria not only here but in the media too.

He's so good at hockey.

He even took a slapshot last game!
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 03:20 PM   #9
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBI View Post
I know it's way early but can you imagine 82 assists? When is the last time somebody even had that many?
It's only happened 55 times in NHL history that a player has recorded 82 or more assists in a season. Last time? 2009-2010, Henrik Sedin had 83 assists.

Other recent seasons:

2006-2007: Sidney Crosby, 84
2006-2007: Joe Thornton, 92
2005-2006: Joe Thornton, 96

All other instances are from before the 99-00 season. 82 assists would tie the Flames franchise record, set by Kent Nilsson in 80-81.

Last edited by Finger Cookin; 11-06-2015 at 10:33 AM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2015, 03:21 PM   #10
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

He sux, can't score
T@T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 03:23 PM   #11
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

When you consider that the Flames have only scored 2 goals per game, seeing Johnny's contribution is nothing short of spectacular.

He has 12 points so far, and 11 assists on a team where everyone is struggling to score is amazing.

He has produced points in 12 of the Flames 22 goals so far, meaning he contributes to about 55% of this team's offense.

All this while being one of the smallest players ever to play in the NHL.

I am very impressed with John Gaudreau.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2015, 03:26 PM   #12
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
When you consider that the Flames have only scored 2 goals per game, seeing Johnny's contribution is nothing short of spectacular.

He has 12 points so far, and 11 assists on a team where everyone is struggling to score is amazing.

He has produced points in 12 of the Flames 22 goals so far, meaning he contributes to about 55% of this team's offense.

It's funny how no one really called him Johnny until he got to the NHL and it stuck.

I hope he continues his tear, and I hope it sparks the Flames.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 03:32 PM   #13
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default Something different: Johnny Hockey leads the league in assists

I'm glad he's on a line with Bennett and Frolik now.

To be honest I never liked that former line, Gaudreau-Monahan-Hudler. Too small, too soft (all 3 got lady byng votes) weak on the forecheck, not tenacious enough. They had to score with perfect shots and tic tac toes on the rush, long bomb stretch passes and PP time. The new line mates have helped Gaudreau a lot. Both those two go balls to the wall on the forecheck, and play a more physical game. If Bennett sticks with Gaudreau he will be in the Calder conversation by default for all the points he's going to get.
saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 03:37 PM   #14
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
It's only happened 55 times in NHL history that a player has recorded 82 or more assists in a season. Last time? 2009-2010, Henrik Sedin had 83 assists.

Other recent seasons:

2006-2007: Sidney Crosby, 84
2006-2007: Joe Thornton, 92
2005-2006: Joe Thornton, 96

All other instances are from before the 99-00 season. 82 assists would tie the Flames franchise record, sent by Kent Nilsson in 80-81.
Who was the last winger? probably have to go back to the crazy 70's or 80's, Off the top of my head the last true winger would be Bossy, Lafontaine and Savard played a little wing but I think mostly center.
The Following User Says Thank You to T@T For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2015, 03:39 PM   #15
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
It's funny how no one really called him Johnny until he got to the NHL and it stuck.

I hope he continues his tear, and I hope it sparks the Flames.
They called him Johnny in Boston.

John Hockey just didn't sound good.
The Following User Says Thank You to T@T For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2015, 03:42 PM   #16
IamNotKenKing
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by T@T View Post
Who was the last winger? probably have to go back to the crazy 70's or 80's, Off the top of my head the last true winger would be Bossy, Lafontaine and Savard played a little wing but I think mostly center.
Had to look that up, but am surprised to see Bossy had 83 assists in '81-82.
Did you seriously know that off the top of your head?
IamNotKenKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 03:43 PM   #17
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by T@T View Post
Jagr did it twice, in 95-96 (87) and again in 98-99 (83). Bossy did it once in 81-82 (83). And, at least according to the positions assigned to players on nhl.com, those are the only three times a winger has recorded 82 or more assists in a season. Most assists in a single season by a LW according to nhl.com is 69 by Kevin Stevens in 91-92. A LW has recorded 60 or more in a single season only 11 times in NHL history.

Because someone might ask, D to do it are:

Orr: 70-71 (102), 73-74 (90), 74-75 (89), 69-70 (87)
Coffey: 85-86 (90), 83-84 (86), 84-85 (84), 88-89 (83)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2015, 03:57 PM   #18
Rollin22x
Scoring Winger

Exp:

he must lead the league in sick moves so far as well
Rollin22x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 04:13 PM   #19
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

He actually hasn't done as many sick moves as last year I think because the D is giving him more space and he's been a little less risky so as to not give the puck away..
Old 10-31-2015, 04:16 PM   #20
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post

Not only that but he's been on the ice for some of the other goals without getting a point. So out of 22 goals, he's probably been on the ice for 14-15 I bet.. So probably the flames score 65% of their goals when Johnny is on the ice, and only 35% of their goals when Johnny is NOT on the ice. Ouch.

Tags
awesome , hockey , johnny , magic