Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2015, 08:57 PM   #21
wooohooo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Netflix rates shaw better than telus. I've had both. And both have had their down times but I think shaw is better. We need some google fiber!

Seems to be a big push with internet connectivity around the world with big names like Elon musk wanting to have global internet. U.s talking about net neutrality. Give it a few years...hopefully.

Last edited by wooohooo; 01-17-2015 at 08:59 PM.
wooohooo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wooohooo For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2021, 01:14 PM   #22
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

My Shaw contract (for ISP only) is coming to end and I'm looking into alternatives. Vmedia looks to have some well priced plans. Does anyone have experience with them? What about any other ISP's outside of Shaw and Telus?

I'm not unhappy with Shaw but if I stay with them, the price of my current plan goes up so I'm looking at alternatives.

TIY
D as in David is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 01:19 PM   #23
STeeLy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D as in David View Post
My Shaw contract (for ISP only) is coming to end and I'm looking into alternatives. Vmedia looks to have some well priced plans. Does anyone have experience with them? What about any other ISP's outside of Shaw and Telus?

I'm not unhappy with Shaw but if I stay with them, the price of my current plan goes up so I'm looking at alternatives.

TIY

TekSavvy has been upping their prices consistently for the last few years.

I'm making the switch over to LightSpeed (runs off shaw lines for cable). Don't have anything yet about them since the service won't start until this coming Tuesday.

Website is fairly basic and you have to call in for everything, but the reviews I've seen are generally positive and the cheapest of the bunch at this time compared to VMedia, Nucleus, Cancom, etc...
STeeLy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to STeeLy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2021, 03:37 PM   #24
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Blanket statements about one ISP being better than the other, are silly.

Db loss, FTTH, localized saturation -- more more important metrics.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 07:17 PM   #25
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
I suppose, both speeds are pitiful and not worth a dollar IMO. Anything under 50 is just handcuffed nowadays, especially when you have multiple devices running all the time.
People vastly overestimate the internet speed they actually need. I know lots of people who pay >>$75/mo. for ≥100 Mbps and they use it for a couple of TV streams and a couple of cell phones, and it's barely even scratching the surface of what their service is capable of. The vast majority of users are just fine with 25 Mbps.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 07:22 PM   #26
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Happy with Can-com, like that they don't have contracts.

You still get Shaw's infrastructure but without the drama and constant price increases. My price hasn't changed in the several years I've been with them. It actually went down a buck a month because someone used my referral code. They upgraded my speed once for free without having to ask.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jacks For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2021, 08:04 PM   #27
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Are there any resellers that have Telus fiber internet?
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 12:22 AM   #28
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
Blanket statements about one ISP being better than the other, are silly.

Db loss, FTTH, localized saturation -- more more important metrics.
How does one go about getting this info?
D as in David is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 09:19 AM   #29
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just got offered Telus gig internet only for 70/mo... most stores/reps will only do the 89/mo.

I doubt shaw will be able to match this, but I am going to try.
Old 09-07-2021, 09:21 AM   #30
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDVAN View Post
I just got offered Telus gig internet only for 70/mo... most stores/reps will only do the 89/mo.

I doubt shaw will be able to match this, but I am going to try.
How did you get that offer? I'll likely be switching when my Shaw contract is up in a couple of months
Old 09-07-2021, 09:24 AM   #31
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

we switched to telus for about 3 weeks and gave up as in my neighbor there were no high speed ports left. Teams called were buffering/getting dropped etc.

so if you are going to move to telus ensure you can get the high speed ports or the new fiber service is up and running

my other takeway from the expereince was that many of our login id's for lots of places were tied to our shaw email address, so changing everythign was a pita. wish i would have set up stuff with a gmail account to make it easier to port.
Old 09-07-2021, 09:46 AM   #32
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
we switched to telus for about 3 weeks and gave up as in my neighbor there were no high speed ports left. Teams called were buffering/getting dropped etc.

so if you are going to move to telus ensure you can get the high speed ports or the new fiber service is up and running

my other takeway from the expereince was that many of our login id's for lots of places were tied to our shaw email address, so changing everythign was a pita. wish i would have set up stuff with a gmail account to make it easier to port.
Well I already checked my address on their site and they say that fiber speeds up to 2.5 Gbps are available, so we should be good there. And for your 2nd point I ran into that issue years ago when I did a Shaw/Telus swap, which gave me the incentive to move everything away from my Shaw email to Outlook.com. I signed up there when it was first offered so I managed to get my name without any numbers for the address, which made switching pretty easy
Old 09-07-2021, 11:02 AM   #33
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
How did you get that offer? I'll likely be switching when my Shaw contract is up in a couple of months
From a random mall kiosk guy... I will know in a month (when the install is scheduled), whether it's too good to be true or it worked out.

PM me. If it works out all good I will send you his contact info.
Old 09-07-2021, 01:50 PM   #34
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDVAN View Post
From a random mall kiosk guy... I will know in a month (when the install is scheduled), whether it's too good to be true or it worked out.

PM me. If it works out all good I will send you his contact info.
I was about to but then I remembered we have 2 Shaw mobile lines for my wife's parents who are staying with us, and right now they don't cost us anything because we have Shaw internet. If I switched now that would be an extra $30/mo for the phones, so I think I'll wait until they go back to Vietnam
Old 09-07-2021, 09:52 PM   #35
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
wish i would have set up stuff with a gmail account to make it easier to port.
I went from a Shaw address to a custom domain, I was a bit scared of losing access to my gmail account as at the time I'd heard a few stories of people that got locked out of their accounts and never got them back.

Though I did end up on Google anyway, I got a few Google Apps for Domains or whatever they were called accounts back when they were free. But I can always switch to a different email service if I want and keep my email address.
Old 09-08-2021, 08:37 AM   #36
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Private Email is dirt cheap for one email address. You can give that email address multiple aliases.
Old 09-08-2021, 09:05 PM   #37
Iceman90
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
I went from a Shaw address to a custom domain,
I really think more people need to do this. I have my own domain which I run through Google's old free Apps account, but you can use Zoho Mail or any number of free or cheap mail hosts. The beautiful thing about your domain is you can move it anywhere you want to whenever you want to. So as prices and services change, so can your provider.

I have been talking more family and friends into using their own domain for mail, and surprisingly more and more are doing so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Private Email is dirt cheap for one email address. You can give that email address multiple aliases.
NameCheap has some really nice product offerings at good prices. Private Email is a good service like you said for a single address for personal use or small businesses.
The Following User Says Thank You to Iceman90 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2021, 09:41 PM   #38
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I funnel all my email addresses into one single Gmail address too, the web interface is just so good. Though it's been years since I looked at anything else maybe there's stuff that's just as good out there now.

Though one thing I never considered with a custom domain is I once got a demand letter from some US company that has the .com version of my .ca domain and they were demanding I give it to them because they had the rights to it and my 1 page site caused confusion blah blah.. Aside from the fact I'd owned mine for a lot longer than they had theirs. I just ignored it but I suppose it would have been possible to lose it to someone with more resources than I'd be willing to commit to defend it.
Old 09-09-2021, 09:15 AM   #39
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Namecheap uses private email as their email service.
Old 09-09-2021, 10:04 AM   #40
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D as in David View Post
How does one go about getting this info?
Some of the ISP qual tools out there, will show it. Others require an actual call into the ISP.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote