Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2015, 05:39 PM   #321
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningSteel View Post
I am rubber and you are glue. What you say
bounces off me and sticks to you.
Well then, you are a man of incredible intelligence, wisdom, good looks and sexual prowess.

Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 01:57 PM   #322
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:
Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I don't think he's shown elite passing skills. Maybe somewhat above average. He had one really good pass in his time this year (that a bunch of posters gushed over like no one had ever made a stretch pass before). Elite passing means, IMO, Gaudreau, Sedin, Oates, Toews, Chouinard, etc. I'd say his passing is behind 4 or 5 others on the team, if not more. And his skating, puck sense, shooting, etc are middling.
He only had one really good pass in his time this year that resulted in a goal..

He has made several other passes that died on his teammates stick that I have noticed this year, as well as in years past. When he made those passes all I could think of was Tanguay.. He makes passes that not every player can.

I'm not trying to say he is in top form and every one of his passes resembles elite skill in that area. I'm saying he looks like he has the ability to be an elite passer in this league since he has shown flashes of it.

I was defending the comment that Baertschi isn't all that special and doesn't do anything special because his passing vision, to me anyway, is trending towards elite status simply due to the plays I have seen him make.. They don't always result in goals so they are forgotten by most.

Even if he hasn't shown elite ability but merely above average ability isn't that still something 'special' or of note since the goal is to have as many above average players as possible?
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SeanCharles For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2015, 07:24 PM   #323
CrispyGriz
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I am trying to find the video of the goal Sven scored a week or two ago. Not really having any luck. Can someone either link me to the right thread or repost it in here?

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-07-2015, 07:52 PM   #324
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:
Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyGriz View Post
I am trying to find the video of the goal Sven scored a week or two ago. Not really having any luck. Can someone either link me to the right thread or repost it in here?

Thanks in advance.
Do you mean his 2 goal night from last week?

Or a while back where he had a goal and a few assists?

May as well add the only other game highlights he has a goal in..

Last edited by SeanCharles; 01-07-2015 at 08:05 PM.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SeanCharles For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2015, 08:07 PM   #325
PugnaciousIntern
First Line Centre

Exp:

Wrong thread
PugnaciousIntern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 11:48 AM   #326
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't think he's shown elite passing skills. Maybe somewhat above average. He had one really good pass in his time this year (that a bunch of posters gushed over like no one had ever made a stretch pass before). Elite passing means, IMO, Gaudreau, Sedin, Oates, Toews, Chouinard, etc. I'd say his passing is behind 4 or 5 others on the team, if not more. And his skating, puck sense, shooting, etc are middling.
Not just the passing skills, but the puck possession in the neutral ice and offensive zone. Gaudreau, being a small player, has the amazing ability to carry the puck across the opposition blue line and keep the puck in. Guys that you have mentioned, plus Patrick Kane, does that really well. The Flames need more guys like that and currently, we have Johnny doing most of that work. If Baertschi can improve on that with his skill, man, he'd be in the NHL lineup right now. He's got skills, he just need to be smart and use those skills. If you're small, you gotta use them brains. A small player can try to do a lot of forechecks, but eventually, a player like that will just end up getting hurt. Play like Kane and be a smart slippery SOB. Plus, making the plays is far more entertaining than watching a pass go directly out of the offensive zone into neutral ice or into the defensive zone. A lot of times, a Flames player will just pass the puck blindly in the offensive zone and the opposition just takes the puck out and basically everyone has to chase and regroup. That's so frustrating to watch - probably not so for the opposing team's fans.
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 02:39 PM   #327
darthma
Scoring Winger

Location: Down by the sea, where the watermelons grow, back to my home, I dare not go...
Exp:

Quote:
I love JG and all, but to call him elite based on half a season is a huge stretch... especially when you put him in the company of Oates.
darthma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 02:49 PM   #328
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthma View Post
I love JG and all, but to call him elite based on half a season is a huge stretch... especially when you put him in the company of Oates.
I didn't say he was an elite player. I said he has elite passing skills. They amy or may not develop more, but right now I think he passes as well as anyone in the league. Those skills, long term, might not amount to a great career, depending on what happens. But they are there nonetheless.

I only saw Guy Chouinard for two seasons, but he was one of the best passers I ever saw. So on that particular skill, he was elite. as an overall player - good, not elite.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ahl , baertschi , flames , nhl