Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2014, 03:39 PM   #41
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by strombad View Post
Why do you even really care? Just don't buy the games!

I really do mean no offense by this, but EA hate often seems like 1st world/childish problems to me. They really do make great games. I put it in my console, turn it on, and enjoy myself. Are there little problems here and there? Sure, but if they were big enough to go on rants about, I'd probably just not buy the games.

I research stuff before I buy it, I don't buy movies, albums, or games I won't like, and I know what to expect. If I want to play a solid hockey game, I'll buy EA NHL. I don't HAVE to buy it, I want to buy it. If video games are your sole interest then maybe you feel like "not buying it" is not an option, but if I hear a game isn't going to be what I want, then it's simple, I don't buy the game. I like Sim City, heard the new one was garbage, so guess what? I didn't buy it, and my life was equally as good as it would've been had I bought it.

All I'm saying is that you complain an awful lot about a company that doesn't owe you anything and doesn't force you to buy anything. You obviously don't like EA, so who are you trying to convince exactly? "just calling it like it is" no, you're just complaining about something for some inexplicable reason. I get the need to be a wet blanket, but the solution for you is incredibly simple.

I love the hockey games, as imperfect as they might be. The FIFA games are better, I know why they're better, I'm cool with that. I just don't understand why you'd see a thread that says "NHL 15" and go in just to complain.
You're pretty smug for being so wrong. The menu systems are a pain and take forever, the lag issues are unacceptable when its game breaking and only 10 players. EA has a monopoly and their lack of care for their customers is insulting. Why do I care? Because I want to play a lag free game of online hockey without waiting while people pause the game. Why else would I care? Customer satisfaction is a thing and saying its just a first world problem is rhetorical nonsense.
AcGold is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AcGold For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2014, 03:55 PM   #42
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Just give me responsive menus with decent loading times.

It takes longer to start a game of NHL 14 from the ps3 menu screen that it does to start a game of Civ from my powered off PC. Unacceptable.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2014, 04:31 PM   #43
puckluck2
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I played this one dbag in NHL14 who a couple minutes in the game he all of a sudden left and the loading screen kept going on and on. I turned off my PS3 and turned it back on (my only option) and checked out his record. He had won like 15 straight games with a "DNF 3-0 score". A couple days later I get the same dude. He had a great record and I had a great record so I decided to play him and teach him a lesson. A couple minutes in the same thing happened but this time I turned off my TV, left my PS3 on and watched a movie. About an hour in I check and he still didn't disconnect so I continued watching the movie and was fully prepared to leave it on all night but thankfully he disconnected a bit later and I got the W.

I don't know what hack that is but they need to fix it.
puckluck2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to puckluck2 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2014, 05:13 PM   #44
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by strombad View Post
Why do you even really care? Just don't buy the games!
Maybe he complains because he loves hockey and wants to see a really good, high quality hockey game released?

Same reason people complain about bad film adaptations of their favorite books or TV shows or when their favorite hockey team is terrible or when a sequel to their favorite video game sucks. It's all just entertainment, but they want to see something better because they're passionate about it and want to discuss those things with other people.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 05:56 PM   #45
Trailer Fire
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm looking forward to NHL 15. I haven't played an NHL game since 11. I'm really looking forward to another NHL game.
Old 05-04-2014, 07:05 PM   #46
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Maybe he complains because he loves hockey and wants to see a really good, high quality hockey game released?

Same reason people complain about bad film adaptations of their favorite books or TV shows or when their favorite hockey team is terrible or when a sequel to their favorite video game sucks. It's all just entertainment, but they want to see something better because they're passionate about it and want to discuss those things with other people.
Critically and commercially, the NHL series is just that.

He doesn't like it, so be it - that doesn't make it bad.

I personally love the series. I think it has never been better. Fantastic game. I'm very excited to see it on the new generation of consoles.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 08:08 PM   #47
Brannigans Law
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Critically and commercially, the NHL series is just that.
Critically and commercially Britney Spears was amazeballs. Just sayin'
Well, deal with it. I wasn't cheering for Canada either way. Nothing worse than arrogant Canadian fans. They'd be lucky to finish 4th. Quote me on that. They have a bad team and that is why I won't be cheering for them.
Brannigans Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 08:39 PM   #48
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh, and I want shots of people holding up pucks in the crowd when a shot gets deflected out of play. And/or shots of linesmen getting pucks from the time-keeper afterwards.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 09:14 PM   #49
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

I'm super excited to see what next-gen hockey will be like. I know starting with a new engine could really make for a bare-bones experience or even a few steps back in certain areas, but I don't care. I get the hate for the game, but I've never been bothered by most of the complaints. Despite a few gripes I love the game most years.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 09:22 PM   #50
strombad
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcGold View Post
You're pretty smug for being so wrong. The menu systems are a pain and take forever, the lag issues are unacceptable when its game breaking and only 10 players. EA has a monopoly and their lack of care for their customers is insulting. Why do I care? Because I want to play a lag free game of online hockey without waiting while people pause the game. Why else would I care? Customer satisfaction is a thing and saying its just a first world problem is rhetorical nonsense.

Smug? You're the person pretending your opinion is what decided "right and wrong".

I've never noticed the menus to be any problem for me, and the wait time to get into a game is a minute or so if i know what I want, so what's the big deal?

Seriously, just don't buy it. I don't think anyone who doesn't like something about the game should follow that, people have the right to complain about the little stuff. But if you have the passionate hate for EA where everyone who disagrees with you is somehow "objectively wrong" then you know what?

Don't.
Buy.
It.

You whine about EA ruining game franchises and how 2k5 is better than the latest Madden and blah blah blah. By this, it's painfully clear you don't like the games at all, SO DONT PLAY THE GAMES. You didn't like Battlefield 3? Don't play 4! You didn't like NHL 14? Don't play 15!

It's a privilege to live in a world where these games are a reality, and of COURSE we can nitpick and complain, it's human nature! These games are so very imperfect. But to claim it's all just garbage and EA is ruining everything? Seriously, just go do something else. That's not to save me any trouble, it doesn't bother me that you complain, but it does bother me that someone would waste there time putting money into something they hate much more than they love.

The NHL series is well made and well loved. If you don't enjoy it, don't play it. We all have complaints, but I would bet that mostly everyone here still loves playing the games.

Maybe that's just a me thing. I didn't grow up with much, so video games were a little more sparse here. Maybe my personal demands aren't high enough. When a band I love puts out a crap album, guess what? I just don't buy/download the album. Nobody forces me to, so I don't. I like sandwiches, but I don't like Subway and near my work they're the only sandwich shop. Do I complain about their sandwiches? No, I just don't eat there.

Customer satisfaction IS a thing, you're right. Guess how you change something? It's not by complaining, it's by making a choice. Don't be a customer if you don't like anything the company does.

TL;DR - I'd rather fill my recreation time with stuff I actually like than complaining about stuff that isn't good enough for me. Pick things you like and enjoy. Your life will be much better. When the NHL series regains respectability to you, THEN jump back in. What exactly have you got to lose by waiting a few years between NHL games?
strombad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 10:28 PM   #51
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Did anyone here play the PC versions of NHL 96 through NHL 2001?

Every year, the menu was fresh. Each one had its own feel, yet was still familiar enough that you'd know where you were going to start a game, create a player, look at tasks, view goalie masks (PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE bring this back). The presentation throughout the games, you'd get to see the starting lineups, etc. NHL 13 started slowly getting back to this (I don't have '14 and don't intend on buying it), but it seems like the front-end and in-game presentation team has been mailing it in for years.

Anyone remember what NHL '07 for Xbox 360 was like compared to '07 for PC/PS2/XBOX? Even if the player faces all looked like trolls, the graphics were a MASSIVE improvement. That was a change in engine and shader model.

I think if NHL 15 gets a nice shiny new engine (pleeeeease DX12), we might be blown away again. I'm really hoping it's not just NHL 14 with a roster update.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2014, 11:20 PM   #52
strombad
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
I think if NHL 15 gets a nice shiny new engine (pleeeeease DX12), we might be blown away again. I'm really hoping it's not just NHL 14 with a roster update.

Maybe a bit off topic, but Microsoft has said games that utilise DX12 won't show up until the end of 2015.

Plus, DX12 is going to give a little boost to Xbox performance, but both consoles are fully capable of providing that "shiny new" engine feel right now.

Graphically, we should see a jump, performance (if they are using Ignite as predicted) will see a jump as well.

Just the idea of fully reactive movements, crowds, jerseys that actually move like real jerseys, seeing the sweat on a players face, all that stuff should provide a pretty significant "wow" factor visually.
strombad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 11:28 PM   #53
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Did anyone here play the PC versions of NHL 96 through NHL 2001?

Every year, the menu was fresh. Each one had its own feel, yet was still familiar enough that you'd know where you were going to start a game, create a player, look at tasks, view goalie masks (PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE bring this back). The presentation throughout the games, you'd get to see the starting lineups, etc. NHL 13 started slowly getting back to this (I don't have '14 and don't intend on buying it), but it seems like the front-end and in-game presentation team has been mailing it in for years.

Anyone remember what NHL '07 for Xbox 360 was like compared to '07 for PC/PS2/XBOX? Even if the player faces all looked like trolls, the graphics were a MASSIVE improvement. That was a change in engine and shader model.

This is exactly how I feel... that game with the masks was amazing. I remember on PC they had fantasy drafts, that was another feature they removed only to bring in as a "new feature" in like 2012 or 2013, I forget.

Anyway I didn't bother buying 2014, they don't deserve it. When they update the menus that have been used for like 10 years, maybe they'll get me paying attention, it's just lazy at this point. Do they only have like 3 people working on the game? Oh ya and the load times are ####ty and the lack of change in the custom team function for the last (literally, you'd think I'm making this up) 10 years has been nothing short of embarrassing.

EA needs a home run here or they could suffer I think.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 08:29 AM   #54
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://www.easports.com/nhl/nhl15

New features for XBox One and PS4:
Quote:
12 PLAYER NHL COLLISION PHYSICS
For the first time in any sports game, real-world physics affects every player through every on-ice collision with the new 12 Player NHL ® Collision Physics. Utilizing the power of the next generation consoles, and building off the critically-acclaimed NHL Collision Physics system, every player on the ice is governed by physics at all times. Feel the hard-hitting chaos of NHL hockey through true-to-life secondary collisions, net scrambles and player pileups, capturing the desperation of every shift.

REAL PUCK PHYSICS
The puck is one of the most complex items in the game to authentically replicate and it finally gets its due in NHL 15. Completely rebuilt puck physics result in a more realistic feel to every puck interaction. Everything on the ice, including the ice surface itself, is live which leads to the unpredictable and authentic puck spins, rolls and bounces seen in a real NHL game.

AUTHENTIC PLAYER & EQUIPMENT MODELS
The Next Generation Hockey Player has been rebuilt from the ice up. Now player models have three distinct layers - the body, equipment, and jersey. Each layer interacts independently, making every contact with the puck or other players even more realistic. Dynamic Cloth technology adds an extra layer of realism as it reacts to the player’s movement as they explode up the ice, helping bring the speed of the game to life.

UNPRECEDENTED PLAYER LIKENESS
Powered by the same technology that brought the most realistic representation of the athlete to EA SPORTS UFC, NHL 15 delivers groundbreaking player likeness, emotion and animation. From the strides a player takes to get up the ice to the emotion on their face after scoring a game winning goal, the players are as real as they’ve ever been.

SUPERSTAR SKILL STICK
Now all the tools of an NHL superstar are in your hands. The revolutionary Skill Stick has evolved to give even more control to the player. Protect the puck, receive passes without breaking stride, and discover an arsenal of sweet new dekes, all with an intuitive right stick control scheme that is easy to use but packed with depth.

AUTHENTIC ARENAS
There is no feeling like being there, and we are giving you the best seats in the house. The power of the next-gen consoles finally allows the NHL franchise to capture every detail of an NHL arena. Unique arena elements from 19,000+ seat capacities to lighting and player entrance tunnels are captured with a level of detail not possible on the previous generation. Now those home games will truly feel like home.

NEW COMMENTARY TEAM
New voices for a new generation. NHL 15 welcomes the NBC Sports commentary team of Mike 'Doc' Emrick and Eddie Olczyk to the broadcast booth. TSN analyst Ray Ferraro will provide game insights at ice level. Combined with Real Life Broadcast Integration that will feature real-world pre-game video commentary with Doc and Eddie set against in-game visuals, NHL 15 takes a revolutionary step forward in sports videogames; where the lines between the real world of sport broadcast and the game are blurred.

NBC SPORTS GAME DAY PRESENTATION
The most realistic broadcast package in a video game to-date is possible because of a new partnership with NBC Sports. Set the scene with the NHL on NBC crew welcoming you to the city during the game intros and immerse yourself in an experience that matches what you see on television with NHL on NBC graphics and branding.

LIVING CROWDS
NHL 15 sets a new standard in videogames with over 9,000 individual crowd models with 4x the animations of previous generations. Take a look through the glass and you’ll see fans hold up signs with your name on them, costume wearing superfans, or even sections full of team rivals rooting against you. Feel their behavior change after dropping the gloves, landing a big hit, or scoring a clutch goal. The crowd is alive.

VISION AI
An elevated level of player intelligence, Vision AI features evolved awareness with players reading and reacting to potential plays. Scoring area recognition, pass anticipation, and enhanced team breakouts all improve the flow of the game.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:31 AM   #55
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post

http://www.easports.com/nhl/nhl15

New features for XBox One and PS4:
While it looks good from that trailer, Im expecting Rogers Arena to be the only one that will look like its counterpart.

Quote:
New voices for a new generation. NHL 15 welcomes the NBC Sports commentary team of Mike 'Doc' Emrick and Eddie Olczyk to the broadcast booth. TSN analyst Ray Ferraro will provide game insights at ice level. Combined with Real Life Broadcast Integration that will feature real-world pre-game video commentary with Doc and Eddie set against in-game visuals, NHL 15 takes a revolutionary step forward in sports videogames; where the lines between the real world of sport broadcast and the game are blurred.
Quote:
The most realistic broadcast package in a video game to-date is possible because of a new partnership with NBC Sports. Set the scene with the NHL on NBC crew welcoming you to the city during the game intros and immerse yourself in an experience that matches what you see on television with NHL on NBC graphics and branding.
Finally!
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 08:34 AM   #56
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Look forward to the new commentary and NBC presentation.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 08:35 AM   #57
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yep, I am exctied.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 08:51 AM   #58
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

New broadcast team? New presentation style? Authentic arenas?! New physics and AI?

I'm bloody excited.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2014, 08:52 AM   #59
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Having Doc as the announcer should be pretty sweet.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:18 AM   #60
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also a Game Informer article for those interested.

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/nh...t-nhl-15.aspx?
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joborule For This Useful Post:

Tags
chel , ea nhl , ea sports , next gen , nhl