Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2012, 08:24 AM   #61
c.t.ner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
I'm not sure of their methodology, but I simply do not see the seat count coming that close to the polling percentages. It doesn't really work that way. That said, I'm not sure I trust a 65-17-2-3 breakdown that threehundredeight has either.
I agree, especially since it's a parliamentary system. The general polling percentages across the province don't mean as much as what's going down in each riding. But it is a good yardstick.

I guess my question when looking at this info is whether or not the WRP are going to peak too early. I know it's a short campaign, but things can still shift widely.

Last edited by c.t.ner; 03-26-2012 at 08:29 AM.
c.t.ner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:35 AM   #62
GP_Matt
First Line Centre

Exp:

Slava,
You seem to be upset that she didn't follow some imaginary rule. She followed the rules at the time and did nothing wrong. The fact is that there are no rules governing disclosure of candidate/leader nominations. Lots of the candidates have raised large sums of money to receive their nomination for local positions and have no reporting requirements.
GP_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:02 AM   #63
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP_Matt View Post
Slava,
You seem to be upset that she didn't follow some imaginary rule. She followed the rules at the time and did nothing wrong. The fact is that there are no rules governing disclosure of candidate/leader nominations. Lots of the candidates have raised large sums of money to receive their nomination for local positions and have no reporting requirements.
No, I'm not actually upset at all. I just think that in general (for all parties and candidates at municipal levels as well) that full disclosure should be mandated. I understand that she didn't have to disclose any of this and I suppose she deserves some credit for that. Lets not get too into the back patting though; disclosing donors from 2 1/2 years ago isn't the pinnacle of transparency either. I still stand by my original comment; this has less to do with transparecy and disclosure and more to do with trying to batten down the hatches for the onslaught she is sure to see.

Election financing laws in Alberta have a long way to go IMO. They should cover the leadership campaigns IMO, as well as better cover the municipal campaigns.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:09 AM   #64
First Lady
First Line Centre

Exp:

And the writ is dropped. We are off and running.

Have updated thread title with Election date.
First Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:30 AM   #65
GP_Matt
First Line Centre

Exp:

Well, that will be a hit to my production today.

Here's hoping that the race can stay clean and avoid the American style attack ads.
The Following User Says Thank You to GP_Matt For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2012, 10:35 AM   #66
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

My only wish is that after this election we won't have to see Redford's face on the papers everyday.
darklord700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:39 AM   #67
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP_Matt View Post
Well, that will be a hit to my production today.

Here's hoping that the race can stay clean and avoid the American style attack ads.
Here's hoping that this race becomes incredibly dirty and evil with pier 6 brawls, lots of oil thrown Danielle Smith's way and a good old fashion revolutionary uprising by the proletarians.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:51 AM   #68
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

I'll preface this by saying I have no allegience to any party right now.

I had an interesting conversation with a fellow from Lethbridge on the weekend. I was at Castle Mountain having a pint between runs, and a fellow sat beside me who had some interesting "facts" about Alison Redford.

- raised by an ultra religious baptist family
- continually trying to push the religious agenda in her party
- wants more state control on things like schooling programs
etc etc etc

Anyone hear any of this? The guy was a business owner, but was pretty redneck in his own right. I don't really follow provincial politics so I have no clue if he was crazy, or was being spoon fed propoganda from someone else. This is likely, because he WENT OFF on building a refinery in Alberta, and taking more money from the big bad oil companies who are pillaging our resources. He tried to high five me when the Wild Rose party was brought up (I denied him the high five, because I don't know what Wild Rose is all about either).

I do get a kick out of people like that though. Uninformed, yet really really really passionate about something.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:02 AM   #69
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post

I had an interesting conversation with a fellow from Lethbridge on the weekend. I was at Castle Mountain having a pint between runs, and a fellow sat beside me who had some interesting "facts" about Alison Redford.

etc etc etc

Anyone hear any of this? The guy was a business owner, but was pretty redneck in his own right. I don't really follow provincial politics so I have no clue if he was crazy, or was being spoon fed propoganda from someone else. This is likely, because he WENT OFF on building a refinery in Alberta, and taking more money from the big bad oil companies who are pillaging our resources. He tried to high five me when the Wild Rose party was brought up (I denied him the high five, because I don't know what Wild Rose is all about either).

I do get a kick out of people like that though. Uninformed, yet really really really passionate about something.
I don't know much about Alison Redford, I'm not really onboard with her because she doesn't seem to have control over her party, and she's had quite a while to gain that control.

There's not much out there on her religious affiliations, but honestly she just seems to scream disaster to me.

I don't have a lot of trust in her at the moment.

I don't all together like Wild Rose, but my trust factor for Danielle Smith is a bit higher.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:02 AM   #70
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
He seemed pretty informed.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:03 AM   #71
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

etc etc etc

And so the whisper campaign has begun.
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:03 AM   #72
GP_Matt
First Line Centre

Exp:

I am not a Redford supporter but that certainly isn't anything that the Wildrose is mentioning. My guess would be that if you dig deep enough you can find evidence to support a tiny part of it and the rest is made up. It sounds too much like a conspiracy theory that seems plausible until you look into it. On top of that, are the Baptists really known for their ultra religious stances?
Old 03-26-2012, 11:05 AM   #73
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord700 View Post
He seemed pretty informed.
In what way?

Building refineries in Alberta, and taking more money from oil and gas companies is a good idea to you too?

Or are you talking about Redford?
Old 03-26-2012, 11:06 AM   #74
GP_Matt
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post
And so the whisper campaign has begun.
Just like I don't believe Alison Redford is involved in a conspiracy I also don't believe that the opposition has a conspiracy to quietly spread lies about her.

I am certain that we can find single issue people who support every party even though the party doesn't support their issue.
But thanks for countering rumour and speculation with more rumour and speculation, very productive.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:08 AM   #75
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

I have no idea where he was coming up with his "facts". I just thought it was interesting that he was so passionate about it. He mentioned something about her trying to push some home school bill through that limited what parents were allowed to teach their kids, or something to that effect.

I started losing interest in it when I started chatting with a guy from New York who witnessed 9/11. That was WAY more interesting.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:13 AM   #76
First Lady
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't think one's personal religion should enter into politics at all.

There are two accounts on Twitter that completely annoy me.

One wants to know who all the athesist candidates are.

And another @WButler2011 is constantly harping on one of the PC candidates who is a Mormon minister. Saying he can't represent the people. What rubbish!!
First Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to First Lady For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2012, 11:20 AM   #77
GP_Matt
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I have no idea where he was coming up with his "facts". I just thought it was interesting that he was so passionate about it. He mentioned something about her trying to push some home school bill through that limited what parents were allowed to teach their kids, or something to that effect.

I started losing interest in it when I started chatting with a guy from New York who witnessed 9/11. That was WAY more interesting.
I wasn't following it too closely, but I did hear from a few religious leaders that Bill 2 was going to infringe on the rights of parents to home school their children.

Apparently there is quite a bit of support for an amendment to bill 2 which has of course died on the floor anyway.
http://www.rockyviewweekly.com/artic...against-bill-2
Old 03-26-2012, 11:20 AM   #78
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

A candidate's religious views should be a non-issue. Unfortunately, there are crackpots on both sides who think otherwise.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2012, 11:21 AM   #79
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I think in a lot of cases, the candidate themselves becomes the guilty party for bringing religion into things.

The "She's a baptist" bit for Redford is irrelevant to me so long as Redford doesn't make her religion an issue. Same with anyone else.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2012, 11:58 AM   #80
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/ch...607/story.html

"A chance to kick Alison Redford out of office"

A good read about Redford and why people hated her.

Tags
alberta , election , get off butt & vote