Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2011, 09:03 AM   #41
The Goon
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Thanks for decimating the Bloc Quebecois, Jack. It would have been an entertaining few years with you asking questions in the HOC.
We may curse our bad luck that it's sounds like its; who's sounds like whose; they're sounds like their (and there); and you're sounds like your. But if we are grown-ups who have been through full-time education, we have no excuse for muddling them up.
The Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Goon For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2011, 09:06 AM   #42
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Prayers for the Layton Family. Jack had a passion for this country, that much is certain.

I wonder if the stress of the campaign really took it's toll on him? Did he know that he had the cancer during the campaign?
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 09:09 AM   #43
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I never agreed with his politics, but it is a damn shame he never got to enter the HOC as opposition leader. He really did deserve that.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 09:13 AM   #44
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Such a shame. I respected him and his ethics to stand for what he believed in.

RIP Jack.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 09:18 AM   #45
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykalberta View Post
I dont like him.
I dont like him any more or less ater hearing this.

My condolences go to his life partner and his children in their time of un-imaginable sorrow.
Ditto.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 09:20 AM   #46
YYC in LAX
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm not a supporter of him or his politics. In fact, I'm extremely anti-NDP, but there is no question that his legacy will live on long after his death. Those who knew him and those who support the NDP will be able to look back and reflect on a very important political figure.

YYC in LAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 09:24 AM   #47
Stay Golden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goon View Post
Thanks for decimating the Bloc Quebecois, Jack. It would have been an entertaining few years with you asking questions in the HOC.
I never voted NDP but Jack did accomplish this and that will be a pretty decent legacy to remembered by, RIP.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:34 AM   #48
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Damn that was fast. Didn't think it would happen this quickly.

RIP Jack Layton
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 09:37 AM   #49
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

You don't have to like his politics, but you do have to love the smackdown he gave the Libs, and more importantly, the Bloc.
RIP, Jack. You know what they say about being either crazy or genius.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 09:43 AM   #50
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

My favorite moment was when he KO'ed Ignatief during the debates for never showing up for work.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2011, 09:51 AM   #51
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Life and times of Jack Layton in pictures.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/.../?from=2137258
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 09:52 AM   #52
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow, absolutely shocking. Not too long ago he was vying to be the PM of our country. This is very sad news. Condolences to his friends and family
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:11 AM   #53
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sad to hear.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:18 AM   #54
FlameFan21
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Thoughts and prayers for Jack Layton and his family.
FlameFan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:24 AM   #55
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I never agreed with his political stance and policies that I thought were a combination of Disney and someone who had a educators inexperienced viewpoint of how the real world worked.

But I respected his passion, and I respected his drive and determination.

I am also grateful that he had a big hand in the destruction of the cancerous Bloc and the elitist Liberals.

In the coming months we'll see that he was not only the leader of the NDP but he was the NDP.

Condolences and prayers for his family and friends.

Rest in Peace Jack.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2011, 10:29 AM   #56
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Very sad to hear. If anyone could have gotten me to swing my vote it would have been Layton. Very charasmatic and a great leader. I echo the notion that if Harper had half the leadership qualities that Layton does the country would be better for it.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:32 AM   #57
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jack Layton's Letter:

Dear Friends,

Tens of thousands of Canadians have written to me in recent weeks to wish me well. I want to thank each and every one of you for your thoughtful, inspiring and often beautiful notes, cards and gifts. Your spirit and love have lit up my home, my spirit, and my determination.

Unfortunately my treatment has not worked out as I hoped. So I am giving this letter to my partner Olivia to share with you in the circumstance in which I cannot continue.

I recommend that Hull-Aylmer MP Nycole Turmel continue her work as our interim leader until a permanent successor is elected.

I recommend the party hold a leadership vote as early as possible in the New Year, on approximately the same timelines as in 2003, so that our new leader has ample time to reconsolidate our team, renew our party and our program, and move forward towards the next election.

A few additional thoughts:

To other Canadians who are on journeys to defeat cancer and to live their lives, I say this: please don't be discouraged that my own journey hasn't gone as well as I had hoped. You must not lose your own hope. Treatments and therapies have never been better in the face of this disease. You have every reason to be optimistic, determined, and focused on the future. My only other advice is to cherish every moment with those you love at every stage of your journey, as I have done this summer.

To the members of my party: we've done remarkable things together in the past eight years. It has been a privilege to lead the New Democratic Party and I am most grateful for your confidence, your support, and the endless hours of volunteer commitment you have devoted to our cause. There will be those who will try to persuade you to give up our cause. But that cause is much bigger than any one leader. Answer them by recommitting with energy and determination to our work. Remember our proud history of social justice, universal health care, public pensions and making sure no one is left behind. Let's continue to move forward. Let's demonstrate in everything we do in the four years before us that we are ready to serve our beloved Canada as its next government.

To the members of our parliamentary caucus: I have been privileged to work with each and every one of you. Our caucus meetings were always the highlight of my week. It has been my role to ask a great deal from you. And now I am going to do so again. Canadians will be closely watching you in the months to come. Colleagues, I know you will make the tens of thousands of members of our party proud of you by demonstrating the same seamless teamwork and solidarity that has earned us the confidence of millions of Canadians in the recent election. 2
To my fellow Quebecers: On May 2nd, you made an historic decision. You decided that the way to replace Canada's Conservative federal government with something better was by working together in partnership with progressive-minded Canadians across the country. You made the right decision then; it is still the right decision today; and it will be the right decision right through to the next election, when we will succeed, together. You have elected a superb team of New Democrats to Parliament. They are going to be doing remarkable things in the years to come to make this country better for us all.

To young Canadians: All my life I have worked to make things better. Hope and optimism have defined my political career, and I continue to be hopeful and optimistic about Canada. Young people have been a great source of inspiration for me. I have met and talked with so many of you about your dreams, your frustrations, and your ideas for change. More and more, you are engaging in politics because you want to change things for the better. Many of you have placed your trust in our party. As my time in political life draws to a close I want to share with you my belief in your power to change this country and this world. There are great challenges before you, from the overwhelming nature of climate change to the unfairness of an economy that excludes so many from our collective wealth, and the changes necessary to build a more inclusive and generous Canada. I believe in you. Your energy, your vision, your passion for justice are exactly what this country needs today. You need to be at the heart of our economy, our political life, and our plans for the present and the future.

And finally, to all Canadians: Canada is a great country, one of the hopes of the world. We can be a better one - a country of greater equality, justice, and opportunity. We can build a prosperous economy and a society that shares its benefits more fairly. We can look after our seniors. We can offer better futures for our children. We can do our part to save the world's environment. We can restore our good name in the world. We can do all of these things because we finally have a party system at the national level where there are real choices; where your vote matters; where working for change can actually bring about change. In the months and years to come, New Democrats will put a compelling new alternative to you. My colleagues in our party are an impressive, committed team. Give them a careful hearing; consider the alternatives; and consider that we can be a better, fairer, more equal country by working together. Don't let them tell you it can't be done.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world.

All my very best,
Jack Layton
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:39 AM   #58
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

What is the protocol for replacing an MP in a situation like this? How long does the house of commons wait before holding a by-election? Should there even be a by-election? NDP won the seat fair and square, so do they get to nominate someone to take Layton's seat?

Considering that there's a majority, this is not really an issue, but if there was a minority, I suppose this would be a pretty important thing to get ironed out.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:39 AM   #59
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

There will be a byelection.
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 11:13 AM   #60
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

It is sad he passed just after reaching the pinnacle of his success politically, and didn't have the chance to act on that success in the commons.

He will be missed.

Tags
canada , layton , ndp