Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-18-2021, 11:40 AM   #261
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Saying it publicly isn’t a good look.
I personally wish players would speak their mind a little more. I am a little tired of hearing the same generic answers each and every time to the same questions. I know the NHL is all about keeping things behind closed doors, and so on, but I prefer a little more honesty and a little less PR.

As long as he can back up his financial ask with quality play on the ice I don't mind. If the Tkachuks are a tough negotiation, but do everything their teams ask of them then I have no problems with it.

Unfortunately, it seems sometimes Tkachuk's mouth writes checks he can't cash. I think it's similar to Conor McGregor in a way. As long as he can back things up with great play, no one has any problems. However, as soon as his play starts to slip it seems he can't back up what he is saying.

As for the captain discussion, I also have Backlund/Tanev/Lindholm/Hanifin ahead of Tkachuk. I actually think Hanifin can be a very interesting captain if he continues to take steps in his growth. The two things I have against Tkachuk are uncertainty with his next contract, and the lazy plays last year.
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gvitaly For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2021, 11:42 AM   #262
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
At the end of the day there's about 0% chance you give that guy the 'C'.
Because of his play, or because of his negotiation style? Because if latter, that is absolutely no reason why you shouldn't give a player captaincy or not. This is a business, and the players need to look out for their best interest, and get the best deal as possible for them. Teams are not going to do them any favours in contracts; players should be the same if they want the most money/leverage possible from the situation.

Why should players bend over for teams, while teams won't the same in return for them if they can get a better player/deal elsewhere?
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 11:53 AM   #263
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvitaly View Post
I personally wish players would speak their mind a little more. I am a little tired of hearing the same generic answers each and every time to the same questions. I know the NHL is all about keeping things behind closed doors, and so on, but I prefer a little more honesty and a little less PR.

As long as he can back up his financial ask with quality play on the ice I don't mind. If the Tkachuks are a tough negotiation, but do everything their teams ask of them then I have no problems with it.

Unfortunately, it seems sometimes Tkachuk's mouth writes checks he can't cash. I think it's similar to Conor McGregor in a way. As long as he can back things up with great play, no one has any problems. However, as soon as his play starts to slip it seems he can't back up what he is saying.

As for the captain discussion, I also have Backlund/Tanev/Lindholm/Hanifin ahead of Tkachuk. I actually think Hanifin can be a very interesting captain if he continues to take steps in his growth. The two things I have against Tkachuk are uncertainty with his next contract, and the lazy plays last year.
They can speak their minds more about some things, but contract negations are best left outside the public arena. I’d wager his brother’s agent didn’t appreciate it. A captain is also the face of his franchise, and asked for the most interviews. You don’t want a loose cannon.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2021, 12:08 PM   #264
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tired of Mathew Tkachuk.
Manhattanboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 12:09 PM   #265
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
Because of his play, or because of his negotiation style? Because if latter, that is absolutely no reason why you shouldn't give a player captaincy or not. This is a business, and the players need to look out for their best interest, and get the best deal as possible for them. Teams are not going to do them any favours in contracts; players should be the same if they want the most money/leverage possible from the situation.

Why should players bend over for teams, while teams won't the same in return for them if they can get a better player/deal elsewhere?
At this point both. People are saying he still has to walk the walk and not just talk the talk and then they are also saying you dont just not give him a C because he comes off as an entitled dbag.

Dont shoot the messenger but at this point hes not backing it up on or off the ice.

Still love the player and want him on the team for a long time, he's just not getting the C.

Last edited by Samonadreau; 09-18-2021 at 12:12 PM.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 12:36 PM   #266
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Back in 1995, the Jets had 3 young studs up front: Selanne, Tkachuk, and Zhamnov.

There was no way they were going to be able to afford them all, and everyone knew there were difficult choices looming. Before the trade deadline, they traded Selanne to Anaheim.

It was the wrong move. Tkachuk increasingly became a bigger disaster with each passing season.

I fear that history is going to repeat itself here.
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2021, 01:48 PM   #267
howard_the_duck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post

You’ve still got to play the game. Poor tactic from Tkachuk to get money from this FO. Who knows, maybe that’s the move and it’s another signal he wants out.
howard_the_duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 02:33 PM   #268
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man a blockbuster trade involving the Flames would be so great right now.
Manhattanboy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Manhattanboy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2021, 02:38 PM   #269
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Erik Gudbranson
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 04:10 PM   #270
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
Man a blockbuster trade involving the Flames would be so great right now.
Or failing that, a Blockbuster Video - then you could watch a quality film made more than ten years ago starring many people you’ve heard of, instead of the Calgary Flames as they’re currently constituted.
Old 09-27-2021, 07:51 PM   #271
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Back in 1995, the Jets had 3 young studs up front: Selanne, Tkachuk, and Zhamnov.

There was no way they were going to be able to afford them all, and everyone knew there were difficult choices looming. Before the trade deadline, they traded Selanne to Anaheim.

It was the wrong move. Tkachuk increasingly became a bigger disaster with each passing season.

I fear that history is going to repeat itself here.

Who is Selanne in this comparison?
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 08:34 PM   #272
flamesfan1297
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
Who is Selanne in this comparison?
I'm guessing Gaudreau?

Halloween candy is horrifying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
"Putting nets on puck."

- Ferland 2016
flamesfan1297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 11:30 PM   #273
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
Erik Gudbranson
Winner winner chicken di...n...n...e....r....... #### no
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 10:39 PM   #274
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Darryl Sutter on Captaincy....
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2021, 10:49 PM   #275
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post

Darryl Sutter on Captaincy....
Young Darryl Sutter is just a mixture of current day Darryl Sutter and 2004 Craig Conroy.

Same ol Darryl, just on 6 pots of coffee to ramp up the cadence of his speech and the speed of his physical mannerisms.

Last edited by ComixZone; 10-02-2021 at 10:51 PM.
ComixZone is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2021, 08:47 AM   #276
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfan1297 View Post
I'm guessing Gaudreau?
I don't think the Flames are deciding if they should keep Gaudreau or not, he's deciding if he wants to keep the Flames or not.

What Tkachuk decides to do this off season will be interesting though. Does he prefer securing a long-term deal, or does he risk a one and done to be able to become a UFA?
Hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 11:22 AM   #277
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

My guess on Tkachuk is he'll stay with the Flames as long as the money makes sense for him. And I don't blame him for that at all.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 11:37 AM   #278
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Darryl is the closest one can get to motivational Stallone.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2021, 11:42 AM   #279
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

So... it basically comes down to either

- Lucic,
- Tanev, or
- Backlund

Perhaps, a poll is in order?
Old 10-03-2021, 12:10 PM   #280