Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-05-2021, 10:32 PM   #2061
Hanna Sniper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdubbs View Post
I think the argument is that 'business as usual' isn't good enough for these fighters who put everything into fighting, paying out of their own pockets to fund their training.

Imagine NHL prospects having to pay their coaches and equipment managers out of pocket until they 'make it big', and these guys don't even have to face the threat of being knocked out in combat like UFC fighters. It's ridiculous how little UFC fighters make.
So how much should a fighter that has never won a fight or been on the main card be making

It’s no secret, you make the UFC millions and you will make bank

I never understood when fighters put in the effort to market themselves and make a huge amount of money and then you have these athletes that do nothing to market themselves but yet people cry about how little they make. If they don’t like thier paycheck then do something about it
Old 08-06-2021, 10:26 AM   #2062
bdubbs
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I don't know how much they should make--that's why there should be a fighters union. The union and fighters should decide what is fair for an up and coming fighter, not some arbitrary likeability factor that people have very little control over.

Unless you think being a jackass to everyone like Conor McGregor has been is the best way to get fighters paid? I mean Sean O'Malley is getting a bunch of undeserved hype because he's got a big mouth I guess.

Last edited by bdubbs; 08-06-2021 at 10:28 AM. Reason: players instead of fighters
bdubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 10:41 AM   #2063
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/UFC_CA/status/1434257820694757377

Thoughts on this? Seems like it should be banned IMO.
Old 09-07-2021, 12:02 PM   #2064
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

Probably an unpopular opinion but I have no problem with it, this kick has been used for a long time and this might be the first time I’ve seen a major injury occur from it. It’s a high risk move for the kicker who leaves themselves wide open to being countered and fighters should know how to defend against it anyways, like Adesanya did against Whittaker in the clip below. Switch stances or move out of range before they can kick you like that.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1310722438184030216

The fighter who lost posted on Twitter that he thought the kick was good and that it was on him to defend, true especially since that kick was being thrown at him the entire fight. In a sport where brain damage is guaranteed, I doubt they’ll bother banning this technique.

This year has been absolutely crazy as far as leg injuries go.

Last edited by mile; 09-07-2021 at 12:06 PM.
mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 09:31 AM   #2065
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Conor McGregor tried to start a fight with an artist at a recent awards show.

https://ca.style.yahoo.com/conor-mcg...031758902.html

I would be very curious what a current cat scan of his brain looks like. How bad is the damage and is it impacting his everyday behavior, because he is falling off the rails recently
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 09:36 AM   #2066
bdubbs
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Maybe Conor was always a thug from the beginning? He just has a ton of money now and gets away with more as a result.
The Following User Says Thank You to bdubbs For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2021, 10:02 AM   #2067
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

With each loss Conor becomes more unhinged. I think he knows his run at the top is over and doesn’t know how to handle it. He supposedly lashed out after MGK refused to take a pic with him, another blow to the ego.

In other interesting news:
https://arielhelwani.substack.com/p/...that-next-step
Quote:
According to sources, a number of influential industry individuals have come together to create a new MMA league that is structured more like the NBA/NHL/NFL rather than your typical MMA promotion. This new league would also include an athlete association that implements a CBA with 50/50 revenue share, guaranteed contracts, health insurance, career-ending insurance and a pension plan. The plan is to announce the venture in the coming days, I’m told. They are hoping to launch in 2023.
If this does actually take off and become something, it’s about damn time.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mile For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2021, 10:10 AM   #2068
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mile View Post
With each loss Conor becomes more unhinged. I think he knows his run at the top is over and doesn’t know how to handle it. He supposedly lashed out after MGK refused to take a pic with him, another blow to the ego.

This will be interesting to see if it actually happens. What I think would happen is that a lot of mid tier and low tier fighters will jump to the new league for the better benefits, pay and opportunities. UFC will likely stay with their current structure and pay out top dollar to keep the top tier guys.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 01:05 PM   #2069
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://arielhelwani.substack.com/p/...-mma-promotion
Quote:
The new league is structured as a nonprofit where independent franchise owners will roster a team of athletes signed from free agency or via the league entry draft. Each team will compete in home and away competitions in a traditional league format vying for a playoff spot. The owners and athletes are governed by the leagues bylaws and collective bargaining agreement which is enforced by the commissioner and board of governors.

Quote:
* The league will be known as World Fight League. (logo in article)
* The group is made up of several former/current professional athletes from the world of NFL, NBA and MMA, including multiple MMA world champions, five former respected MMA promoters, former MMA Executives and matchmakers, actors and recording artists
* According to sources, the WFL has been in the works since 2020 and the non-profit was established May 3, 2021.
* The league will consist of four conferences (North America, South America, Europe/Africa, Asia/Oceana).
* Each Conference will consist of no less than eight teams and no more than 24.
* Each team will roster 24 athletes, comprising of three athletes per weight-class.
*They are currently focused on launching in North America first, however, the framework is in place for a true world league.
* At this time, they have six approved franchise owners (four in the USA and two in Canada) and claim they have multiple proposals and applications being submitted for other teams.
* A conference will launch when there are eight respective approved team owners.
* According to sources, the CBA terms can’t and won’t be negotiated until they have a union of athletes established. However, any approved franchise owner has signed agreements that enforces certain terms and conditions they must abide by. Some of these provisions are put into place so they will not be able to take more than a 50 percent revenue share. Additionally, per sources, they must provide specific levels of health insurance, career-ending insurance, and pension plan for their athletes. When the union is established, the plan is for athletes and owners to finalize negotiations and agreements.

Old 09-17-2021, 01:20 PM   #2070
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

It’s about time. I’m sure the UFC will proactively try to get ahead to kill this league before it starts up, by paying a little better, but the truth was they were bound to pinch the pennies when they sold for the billions they did. It was always a matter of time before that happened as the costs to make a return on investment were sky high. Anyway, it sounds like at the consultant level this was well thought out from where they stand conceptually. Additionally, with high profile backers they should get through the politics of getting a tv contract I’m sure. And with enough support without a doubt they’ll take a huge chunk of UFC’s roster as they can pay potentially better and it’s not alike one for one on how they’re doing things. The unfortunate part is the notice they’re giving. Would have been better to launch suddenly with a few stars from UFC moving over. Not a huge fan of the leaders within UFC. Meatheads all in all.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 01:25 PM   #2071
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

The structure makes sense too.

You already have the "Team" type of structure with the way gyms and training takes place for most of these guys.

I wouldn't be surprised if Tony Kahn and the guys from American Top Team were involved...based on how we've seen them interact in AEW Wrestling already
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2021, 02:06 PM   #2072
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Surest sign yet that Jon Jones is nearly back

https://twitter.com/user/status/1441469696054726658
Old 09-24-2021, 03:02 PM   #2073
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

That guy is a complete moron.

What a waste of talent.

Probably could have gone down as the GOAT
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2021, 03:34 PM   #2074
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

The guy doesn't appear to be a dick, but he does have some deep down problems that come up in mostly passive aggressive behaviour. This is the first time it's been this aggressive if I recall. Hope he can get the help he needs because it's an annual event for him to be arrested.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 08:54 PM   #2075
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought Jones actually came off likable in his Hall-of-Fame speech, so it's hilarious to me that he got arrested the same night. Also got arrested two years ago for slapping a cocktail waitress at a strip club and a year ago for firing a gun while drunk in his car. The guy is a total mess and a trainwreck who loves his guns, I'm sure he'll end up in prison for murder someday.

Nick Diaz is finally back tomorrow, I hope he has a good showing. Even if he is washed up, I'm glad he's fighting Robbie Lawler who seems to have also fallen off a cliff. Am also looking forward to Volkanovski-Ortega.
Old 09-25-2021, 11:18 PM   #2076
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ortega-Volkanovski with one of the best title fights ever, incredible heart from both men and I'll always remember that back-and-forth third round.

Nick Diaz did better than I thought he did, but the trademark Diaz cardio wasn't there and he looked slow. He clearly didn't want to fight, seemed like he was pressured into doing this fight.
Old 09-26-2021, 08:59 PM   #2077
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ortega-Volkanovski with one of the best title fights ever, incredible heart from both men and I'll always remember that back-and-forth third round.

Nick Diaz did better than I thought he did, but the trademark Diaz cardio wasn't there and he looked slow. He clearly didn't want to fight, seemed like he was pressured into doing this fight.
Pressured? Nah. That's how you look / perform after 6 years of ring rust and major CTC from previous battles. He was breathing heavy halfway through the 1st round.

It's a pay check, nothing more.

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 11:10 AM   #2078
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oleksandr Usyk must be the best pound for pound boxer in the world. He put on a pacing clinic against Anthony Joshua.

He is only the third boxer in history to become the undisputed cruiserweight champion and then go on to win a heavyweight title.

I hope the promoters do the right thing and let him and Fury fight.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 11:14 AM   #2079
bdubbs
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Usyk deserves the titles after that performance. Joshua living with the ghost of Ruiz in his head when he gets clobbered. Big and stiff.
Old 09-27-2021, 11:21 AM   #2080
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

That moment late in the fight when AJ went to clinch and Usyk push him off and popped him a few times quickly was awesome. Usyk is not just a main event talent, but he also provides main event entertainment. It was anything but a tired slug fest.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote