Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2021, 04:35 AM   #21
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow, those guidelines are really the height of stupidity. You could literally use them as an example of how not to write guidelines. This clears up exactly nothing about the rule.

Jusf effing call all crosschecks whenever you see them, they're completely unnecessary. That's a simple and easy line to draw. This here is just BS.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2021, 07:12 AM   #22
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

What this does is allow the officials to have more options to hand out game management penalties.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2021, 07:47 AM   #23
Knightslayer
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Why? They did a good job cracking down on the excessive slashing through the whole season. They can do the same for cross-checking. I do think they went too far with the slashing, and could dial it back a tiny bit. Playoffs are a different beast though.
I thought they did a terrible job game to game. Depending on what ref the game was called totally different.
Knightslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 08:04 AM   #24
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

Easy work around for this.

Tom Wilson just builds up a good head of steam from 75 feet away and then just blind sides you into oblivion.

See....no stick, no crosscheck no penalty.

Don't be a Tom Wilson btw.....he's a doooosh.
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 08:29 AM   #25
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

A rule that says you can do something (“push” in this case) but not excessively is just a horrible rule.

Heavy contact sports like hockey and football are hard to officiate, no way around it, but this kind of stuff doesn’t help.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2021, 02:56 PM   #26
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
A rule that says you can do something (“push” in this case) but not excessively is just a horrible rule.

Heavy contact sports like hockey and football are hard to officiate, no way around it, but this kind of stuff doesn’t help.
Totally agree with you.

From the NHL rule book:

Rule 59 – Cross-checking
59.1 Cross-checking - The action of using the shaft of the stick between the two hands to forcefully check an opponent

What's 'forcefully' to one referee will be different from another referee, which is the whole problem.

If they changed it to prohibit contacting an opponent with the shaft of the stick between two hands, that would get rid of it completely.

The role of the stick is to play the puck and that's it.
Old 09-24-2021, 03:04 PM   #27
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default The crackdown on cross-checking

If I recall correctly, the easier distinction was that you could make a push motion and not a hitting motion. So if a player put his arms and stick up against another player and then pushed, it’s ok - so there are two steps to the check. But to strike or hit the player in a single step would be cross-checking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by stemit14; 09-24-2021 at 03:10 PM.
stemit14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 04:23 PM   #28
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
“ Players are allowed to use their sticks to "push or guide" a player defensively. But it's when that push involves excessive force that's the problem”

####ing hate this kind of thing. This is okay, unless you really mean it or are really strong or the other guy has weak legs or the ref thinks you were a little hard on the guy or...

That sounds like the most subjective, tickytak type of #### out there.

I disagree with this actually.

Push or guide seems to imply they are trying to move closer to lacrosse rules with the stick where you can “place and push”, but not hit in one excessive movement.

Sounds like they are trying to eliminate some of the cheap shots forwards take while still allowing defenders to be able to battle and move guys around.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 11:04 PM   #29
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
I disagree with this actually.

Push or guide seems to imply they are trying to move closer to lacrosse rules with the stick where you can “place and push”, but not hit in one excessive movement.

Sounds like they are trying to eliminate some of the cheap shots forwards take while still allowing defenders to be able to battle and move guys around.
It sounds like a good idea in theory. That said, the proof is in the pudding. Right now the way the rule is worded, it’s a game management rule. For example, I expect it to be called 5 on 5 a lot more than to give a team a 2 men advantage. The rule also has the potential to be called quite differently from one ref to another. Furthermore, I fully expect a lot of embellishment in the first half of the season.
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 09:37 AM   #30
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1441493080637689859
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 09:49 AM   #31
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lol at example 3

They better be consistent with this rule, mcdavid is one of the worst players out there for using the ‘guiding’ cross-check when he smells blood in the offensive zone. If he gets away with it more often than players don’t get away with it on him I won’t be shocked but I’ll be pissed. Reffing is already under a big enough microscope as it is so if they don’t handle this right I could see more and more frustration with the pinstripes.
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote