Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

Notices

View Poll Results: What will happen to Brad Treliving after the end of the season?
He should and will be fired 141 18.03%
He should be fired, but will continue as the Flames GM 241 30.82%
He should not and will not be fired 193 24.68%
He should not but will be fired 15 1.92%
Unsure if he should be, but he will be fired 33 4.22%
Unsure if he should be, but he will not be fired 159 20.33%
Voters: 782. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-16-2021, 10:30 AM   #5161
Macho0978
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Totally agree.

GMs have to make a call both ways. Trade before they decline, trade for a player before he pops, and the same in contracts ... go one year if you think he'll decline, lock him down if you think he's going to pop.
Managing the timing of your contracts and selling high or buying low on players is just as important as drafting and developing. Some of it is luck too as you never really know long term how things will work out. A little more predictable with young RFAs but things can swing fast. Take Monahan and Gaudreau who signed the same off season. If you took both deals and flipped the term what is the impact on this team moving forward? What if Johnny signed 7 years and Monahan 6 years. Monahan might have come in at about $6 mil or a bit less for 1 less year and Johnny probably comes in just over $7 mil probably around $7.25 mil.

Moving forward if Monahan was the pending UFA and Johnny had 2 years left at $7.25 or even 3 years at $7.5 mil we would be looking at a team that could sell on Monahan as a rental knowing we had Johnny for 2 or 3 more years this team over the next couple years is looking so much better even though the contract doesn't change anything about the players.
Macho0978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 10:45 AM   #5162
NegativeSpace
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goriders View Post
You have to figure out the Gaudreau and Tkachuk contracts and you should have an idea as to what Monahan is at that point. I think next offseason will be a pretty tricky one.

I agree. Next summer will be tricky and I agree with others that the time to really maximize their assets in trades has probably past. Not having Gaudreau or Tkachuk sorted entering this year seems like a mistake to me. With the team's contract situation next summer, I have trouble seeing how this team stays together after this year and I just wonder if that is the thought inside the Saddledome.

The direction for this team is probably going to be decided next summer (and forced on them based on the contracts). We'll find out if Gaudreau is staying or not. We'll find out if Tkachuk will sign long-term or walk to free agency. Mangiapane. Monahan is entering his final year. Those looking for a core shake-up may see it happen.
NegativeSpace is offline   Reply With Quote