Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2021, 06:57 PM   #1121
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
no more being easy to play against!
Need that game breaking talent to allow those players to do what they do.

Being mean and losing is better than losing like wimps but it still isn't ideal.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2021, 06:58 PM   #1122
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
B.Ritchie
N.Ritchie

We goin' full bash bros.

If he does sign here, the roster takes a very big boy hockey theme over last year's roster. We may not score a bunch but yer gonna bleed if you score on us.
What-year-is-it.gif
Old 07-29-2021, 07:01 PM   #1123
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Need that game breaking talent to allow those players to do what they do.

Being mean and losing is better than losing like wimps but it still isn't ideal.
Agreed.

But I also feel that the offensive players will play bigger and better, knowing the other boys have their backs.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2021, 07:02 PM   #1124
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

teams that only score 1 goal are still easy to play against, no matter how sore a loser they are.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 07:14 PM   #1125
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
teams that only score 1 goal are still easy to play against, no matter how sore a loser they are.
Such a tired narrative. Yes, it was a down year, but they still averaged 2.76 GPG and were 4 whopping goals short on league median.

I am confident they will be in the top half of the league for goals for, this year. And happy to make a bet, if you'd like.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2021, 07:21 PM   #1126
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
Ritchie, Ritchie, Tkachuk, Lucic, Pitlick, Lewis, Zadorov, Tanev, and Andersson? That is a major start to a Sutter team.
Man I wish Pospisil could stay healthy one of these years. He has grit in spades, palys with an edge and actually has some skill too.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2021, 07:22 PM   #1127
Wood
First Line Centre

Exp:

I doubt we go into the season without at least one more change, but a forward group of Gaudreau, Tkachuk, Lindholm, Monahan, Mangiapane, Coleman, Backlund and Dube is significantly better than what Sutter had in '04
Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wood For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2021, 07:26 PM   #1128
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood View Post
I doubt we go into the season without at least one more change, but a forward group of Gaudreau, Tkachuk, Lindholm, Monahan, Mangiapane, Coleman, Backlund and Dube is significantly better than what Sutter had in '04
Save Coleman, too bad this combo hasn’t worked the past few years. A lot of stick in Coleman to turn it around completely enough that the young guys develop and the veterans get back on track.
bluejays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 07:30 PM   #1129
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

BTW... in 2004, the Flames were 19th for goals for, in a 30 team league
Old 07-29-2021, 07:30 PM   #1130
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Man I wish Pospisil could stay healthy one of these years. He has grit in spades, palys with an edge and actually has some skill too.
I forgot about this kid! Sutter will love hin-I wouldn’t be surprised if he gets time on the big team as early as this upcoming season….
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 07:31 PM   #1131
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
I forgot about this kid! Sutter will love hin-I wouldn’t be surprised if he gets time on the big team as early as this upcoming season….
He was having a very good year in the AHL until he got injured. I wouldn't be surprised if he got a shot this year.
Old 07-29-2021, 07:33 PM   #1132
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
Save Coleman, too bad this combo hasn’t worked the past few years. A lot of stick in Coleman to turn it around completely enough that the young guys develop and the veterans get back on track.
I know this sounds like Treliving, but I don't think it's unreasonable to think that Mangiapane and Dube should continue to develop and take the next step.

If Dube can take that next step, this changes how this team looks when it comes to offense. Sutter has put Dube on alert so he better show up in the best shape of his life and focused in practice and the game.

I already consider Mangiapane a top 6 forward and if Dube takes that step, you are adding two top six guys in Coleman and Dube.

On the flip side is the fear that Monahan continues his decline into a middle six guy.
Old 07-29-2021, 07:37 PM   #1133
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Can't help but think that a full-length, normal season will allow Sutter to make men out of the boys on this team and turn it into a mean, efficient machine of hockey.

Last two seasons were weird, out of the ordinary, and there wasn't a chance for the group to really gel and work out the bugs.

The fluid coaching situation didn't help either.
Old 07-29-2021, 07:41 PM   #1134
Wood
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
BTW... in 2004, the Flames were 19th for goals for, in a 30 team league
That's what a good system and hard work can do. I'm excited to see what Sutter will do with this roster
Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 07:42 PM   #1135
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
I know this sounds like Treliving, but I don't think it's unreasonable to think that Mangiapane and Dube should continue to develop and take the next step.

If Dube can take that next step, this changes how this team looks when it comes to offense. Sutter has put Dube on alert so he better show up in the best shape of his life and focused in practice and the game.

I already consider Mangiapane a top 6 forward and if Dube takes that step, you are adding two top six guys in Coleman and Dube.

On the flip side is the fear that Monahan continues his decline into a middle six guy.
I’m big on Dube for a few seasons now. Admittedly didn’t see Mangiapane being that good but his leap has been a pleasant surprise and has a bigger upside than Dube now. I’m completely skeptical about the vets. I haven’t believed in the skills of Monahan, despite the points he’s put up, as I don’t think his skills are first line dependability in the league anymore. Tkachuk and Gaudreau have been sulky idiots and I can only hope they turn it around. There was clearly something off on something they were upset about, and I hope the organization was able to talk to them and figure out what they need to do to have better two way communication. Too much of a coincidence to think it was injury problems.
bluejays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 07:44 PM   #1136
Burning Beard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Kassian is going to have his hands full being a "Keeper of the Code" against this roster. But seriously, the Oilers lost Khaira and I guess they have Foegel now, but they are going to get pushed around big time this year.
Burning Beard is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Burning Beard For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2021, 07:49 PM   #1137
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Damn I want Nick Ritchie now. Fill this team up with big mean SOBs and hard workers that never quit.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2021, 07:49 PM   #1138
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Beard View Post
Kassian is going to have his hands full being a "Keeper of the Code" against this roster. But seriously, the Oilers lost Khaira and I guess they have Foegel now, but they are going to get pushed around big time this year.
I look forward to watching that.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2021, 07:50 PM   #1139
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood View Post
Which is why we are an Iginla away from being serious competitors
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 08:05 PM   #1140
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

So what you're all saying is Bieksa was right about what Calgary needed for their identity?
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote