Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What will happen to Brad Treliving after the end of the season?
He should and will be fired 167 17.06%
He should be fired, but will continue as the Flames GM 277 28.29%
He should not and will not be fired 288 29.42%
He should not but will be fired 27 2.76%
Unsure if he should be, but he will be fired 37 3.78%
Unsure if he should be, but he will not be fired 183 18.69%
Voters: 979. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-24-2021, 08:42 PM   #4181
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackey View Post
I think Tre has been working the phones hard and probably realizes that there isn't much available for what he has to offer. Tkachuk or Hanifin are likely the only two players returning anything of significance but you're giving to get so likely aren't really ahead. Tre is in a very tough spot. I think we will be disappointed in what he is able to pull off.
Is there ever a positive moment for you as a Flames fan?
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 08:47 PM   #4182
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Is there ever a positive moment for you as a Flames fan?
There definitely isnt much to look forward to at the moment. The most optimism is that Daryl is going to work magic.
Hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 08:58 PM   #4183
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesfan05 View Post
We have 3 important dates this month

1)expansion draft
2) entry draft
3) FA signing

So far Treliving has failed to move the needle after the 1st two
He has one more opportunity before they can kick him to the curb for the trash collection
I disagree. I thought that the expansion draft and entry draft they accomplished exactly what I wanted. They didn't fall into a trap and expend assets for a single season of Gio. Perfect time to move on, let Seattle worry if he can make it through an extended season without losing a step. 6.75M cap space is a great thing.

Entry draft they brought in 8 kids. Pretty clear he isn't in chase mode as the team has brought in 16 kids over the last 2 drafts. That is a lot of darts at the dart board.

Time will tell with the FA period, but so far I am happy where the team is right now.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2021, 09:08 PM   #4184
the_only_turek_fan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Without knowing what other GMs are offering for our players it’s hard to judge.
the_only_turek_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 09:15 PM   #4185
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

Treliving is doing his best. Let's let the man do his work.
cannon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cannon7 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2021, 09:18 PM   #4186
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

A lot of GM's were interviewed today during the draft and to a man they all seemed to suggest that trade action will heat up on Monday.
Old 07-24-2021, 09:26 PM   #4187
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

The winners this year are the teams the didn't acquire any players (or the ones who sold off mediocre players for absolute halls).

This draft year was absolute insanity. So many hideous overpayments.

Also things are way too up in the air without Gaudreau re-signed. If Gaudreau walks and the Flames have traded their first pick next year, for an accessory piece to play with Gaudreau, they'll be riots.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2021, 09:33 PM   #4188
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
I disagree. I thought that the expansion draft and entry draft they accomplished exactly what I wanted. They didn't fall into a trap and expend assets for a single season of Gio. Perfect time to move on, let Seattle worry if he can make it through an extended season without losing a step. 6.75M cap space is a great thing.

Entry draft they brought in 8 kids. Pretty clear he isn't in chase mode as the team has brought in 16 kids over the last 2 drafts. That is a lot of darts at the dart board.

Time will tell with the FA period, but so far I am happy where the team is right now.
I am talking about this coming year.

Losing Gio and gaining Pitlick is the change so far

How can you feel happy with that?

It would have been fine if we had a good team. We don’t and changes have to be made.

Considering the need, Treliving gets an F so far
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 09:35 PM   #4189
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I used to love it when my teachers gave me my final grade on the second day of class. It was totally fair.
Old 07-24-2021, 09:37 PM   #4190
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

How about you assess at the end of the off-season. Though chances are you will continue to complain then too.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 09:38 PM   #4191
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
I used to love it when my teachers gave me my final grade on the second day of class. It was totally fair.
You do get grades along the way to that final grade

Or you just show up for the final exam?
Old 07-24-2021, 09:42 PM   #4192
Rollin22x
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I am talking about this coming year.

Losing Gio and gaining Pitlick is the change so far

How can you feel happy with that?

It would have been fine if we had a good team. We don’t and changes have to be made.

Lots of people here wanted changes to the core. Gio was a big part of the core and they gained cap space. I’d say Tre is right on track so far.
Pitlick is a 4th liner so not big plus or minus.
How fast do you think this massive change should take? How long before Tre can’t make anymore changes? I’d guess dealing with 32 GMs and the players involved takes time.
Rollin22x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 09:44 PM   #4193
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You do get grades along the way to that final grade

Or you just show up for the final exam?
The only way to give Treliving an F at this point is if you think he's not going to do any more work the whole term. You've already baked in a zero on the final, the midterm, and all the major assignments.

I wouldn't say that any of the moves he's made deserve an F, considered individually. Nor would I give him an F for not being in on most of the (mostly ridiculous) trades that have happened so far. The only thing you can really judge him on at this point is the draft, and I don't think Pronman's C+ is out of line for that.

Last edited by Jay Random; 07-24-2021 at 09:46 PM.
Jay Random is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 10:04 PM   #4194
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin22x View Post
Lots of people here wanted changes to the core. Gio was a big part of the core and they gained cap space. I’d say Tre is right on track so far.
Pitlick is a 4th liner so not big plus or minus.
How fast do you think this massive change should take? How long before Tre can’t make anymore changes? I’d guess dealing with 32 GMs and the players involved takes time.
I did say he still has time at the FA date

But the available players are disappearing
Old 07-24-2021, 10:08 PM   #4195
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
The only way to give Treliving an F at this point is if you think he's not going to do any more work the whole term. You've already baked in a zero on the final, the midterm, and all the major assignments.

I wouldn't say that any of the moves he's made deserve an F, considered individually. Nor would I give him an F for not being in on most of the (mostly ridiculous) trades that have happened so far. The only thing you can really judge him on at this point is the draft, and I don't think Pronman's C+ is out of line for that.
I am not grading the draft itself

Just the inactivity
Old 07-24-2021, 11:06 PM   #4196
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Just the inactivity
Curious to know what you mean by inactivity. Was there a GM who was more active at the draft last year? Does signing the, widely regarded, best goalie on the UFA market last season not register? What about Tanev as well? What about selling Bennett and Rittich?….Inactivity?

Sure, I was hoping for something of significance over the past two days, but looking at the price of a Ristolainen, for example, is not something I would have applauded. Jones wasn’t coming here and I don’t fault Treliving for trading a first+ for Reinhart either.

Look at what the Blackhawks gave up to get Jones. He could have very well signed in Chicago in a year from now and all it would have cost is cap space.If he was willing to sign there now, why not then? Apparently he wasn’t going to Philadelphia.

Does acquiring Sam Rienhart push this team into contention? I don’t think so. I like the player, but not at that price for this team right now. Not without another shoe, or two to drop. So, what are we complaining about? Inactivity? Really?

Treliving will never live down the Hamonic trade as long as he’s GM of the Flames, short of winning a cup. And I’m reasonably sure, over a beer, he would say ‘yeah, I would like that one back’. That was a situation of a GM reaching for it. I think it’s worth acknowledging Treliving looks to have shown some restraint here. I would imagine Treliving did his job and had a good idea about what the price was to acquire the players that moved this weekend, and also wether they were suitable options.

One way or the other, the vultures are out looking to pick the team, and the GM, apart.

Sometimes ‘inactivity’, as you put it, can be a good thing. Also worth acknowledging that the offseason isn’t over. Last I checked Jack Eichel hasn’t been traded and I’m sure there are others who are available. Some we may know about , and some we may not.

The Flames not falling over themselves to acquire a Ristolainen , OEL, Ellis, Atkinson, Vorachek, or a Rienhard is something I can accept.

Last edited by TOfan; 07-24-2021 at 11:10 PM.
TOfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TOfan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2021, 11:16 PM   #4197
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
WTF. What year is it.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 11:19 PM   #4198
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Just the inactivity
You would rather bad deals?
Old 07-24-2021, 11:32 PM   #4199
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I truly feel there aren't any good deals out there. If he made the deals that are available fans would likely be outraged. I feel strongly change is needed but if the value sucks, is it worth doing just for the sake of change? I hope Tre can work some magic but realistically I just don't see how he is going too. I guess that's why he gets paid the big bucks though.
Hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hackey For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2021, 11:34 PM   #4200
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
You would rather bad deals?
No but we need changes badly