Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What will happen to Brad Treliving after the end of the season?
He should and will be fired 167 17.06%
He should be fired, but will continue as the Flames GM 277 28.29%
He should not and will not be fired 288 29.42%
He should not but will be fired 27 2.76%
Unsure if he should be, but he will be fired 37 3.78%
Unsure if he should be, but he will not be fired 183 18.69%
Voters: 979. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-24-2021, 03:52 PM   #4161
Sofa GM
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Monahan for Dvorak, one for one.
This would be a bad bad trade
Sofa GM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sofa GM For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2021, 04:01 PM   #4162
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Not sure about giving up on Wolf but I would have definitely given next years 1st for Reinhart. Then looked at trading Backlund for a prospect and a pick if that was possible, though I think that would be a stretch.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 04:07 PM   #4163
howard_the_duck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Fact is flames are closer to being a lottery team than cup contender.

Tre was right to sit out buying, though I’d have loved to see Monahan moved based on what looks to be a seller’s market.
howard_the_duck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to howard_the_duck For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2021, 04:14 PM   #4164
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I don't think so. You don't make a bad trade just for the sake of making a trade. People are acting like the trade deadline is this draft, it isn't. Lots of time to change some things.
And then come trade deadline, we’ll say “let’s not make any deadline dud deals, let’s wait for the off-season.” And then we’ll be all like “well hold on a second, let’s wait until trade deadline.”

How long do we need to wait for? This core has shown us they’re incapable for close to a decade now.
MillerTime GFG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MillerTime GFG For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2021, 04:20 PM   #4165
Sofa GM
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard_the_duck View Post
Fact is flames are closer to being a lottery team than cup contender.

Tre was right to sit out buying, though I’d have loved to see Monahan moved based on what looks to be a seller’s market.
This is 100% true…..
Sofa GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 04:20 PM   #4166
Mattman
First Line Centre

Exp:

So day 2 of the Draft is where Tre makes his splash right? There's still time right?

Jokes aside and to reiterate what some posters have said, this seems to be a sellers market right now. Jones and Reinhart got very solid deals for not having amazing years.

I've got a bad feeling that we will be in a similar spot come September, but I'll hold my judgments until a couple days after free agency opens. Do something Tre!
Old 07-24-2021, 07:06 PM   #4167
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

We have 3 important dates this month

1)expansion draft
2) entry draft
3) FA signing

So far Treliving has failed to move the needle after the 1st two
He has one more opportunity before they can kick him to the curb for the trash collection
Flamesfan05 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 07:09 PM   #4168
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattman View Post
So day 2 of the Draft is where Tre makes his splash right? There's still time right?

Jokes aside and to reiterate what some posters have said, this seems to be a sellers market right now. Jones and Reinhart got very solid deals for not having amazing years.

I've got a bad feeling that we will be in a similar spot come September, but I'll hold my judgments until a couple days after free agency opens. Do something Tre!
Both Buch and reinhart would make a difference
Both could be had for a reasonable price
Flamesfan05 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 07:25 PM   #4169
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesfan05 View Post
We have 3 important dates this month

1)expansion draft
2) entry draft
3) FA signing

So far Treliving has failed to move the needle after the 1st two
I Actually think the Flames had a solid weekend. There are a bunch of new kids in the organisation that look to have lots of potential, and could make an impact.

Quote:
has one more opportunity before they can kick him to the curb for the trash collection
Well, that's not happening.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 07-24-2021 at 07:29 PM.
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2021, 07:29 PM   #4170
aiy_yah
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
I would have liked to see some movement this weekend but I’m happy they didn’t make any of the trades that did happen.

2022 1st + Wolf for Reinhart…. Don’t think I’d want to take the risk of moving next years 1st

1st + 2nd for Ristolainen….barf

The Jones trade / contract … not a chance in hell I want to make that move

Acquire either the Atkinson or Voracek contracts…no thanks

The crazy Vancouver deal…I really like Garland but don’t want any part of OEL’s contract or to give up a 1st and 2nd for that honor.

The Buchnevich deal is the one that I would have been okay with being involved in. 2nd + Blais isn’t a bad price to pay for what Buchnevich brings at all.

Bean would have been okay too but we already have Hanifin, Valimaki, Kylington, and Mackey as younger LH dmen in the org.

The real miss (and it’s tough to say if it’s a miss or not) could be not moving Monahan. The market seemed like it was good to sell off a piece this weekend. But tough to say without knowing what actual offers are.
Agree with this 100%

aiy_yah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 07:31 PM   #4171
Torch
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Really excited to see what Tre pulls off. Every year he has done something. Thought we had a great draft. Go Flames go.
Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Torch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2021, 07:40 PM   #4172
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

His zoom after Gio left and then the bland commentary on Coronato compared to prior years look to me that he is under tremendous pressure. And you could tell he was absolutely gutted when talking about Gio and what he meant to Tre. This guy knows he has to make some change and I assume his lack of commentary on Coronato except for saying “he scores from multiple areas” several times tells me he is working hard on changing this team. Total guess but I’ve never seen him look so drawn/jaded/preocccupied/down or whatever that was.
dustygoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 07:49 PM   #4173
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
I would have liked to see some movement this weekend but I’m happy they didn’t make any of the trades that did happen.

2022 1st + Wolf for Reinhart…. Don’t think I’d want to take the risk of moving next years 1st

1st + 2nd for Ristolainen….barf

The Jones trade / contract … not a chance in hell I want to make that move

Acquire either the Atkinson or Voracek contracts…no thanks

The crazy Vancouver deal…I really like Garland but don’t want any part of OEL’s contract or to give up a 1st and 2nd for that honor.

The Buchnevich deal is the one that I would have been okay with being involved in. 2nd + Blais isn’t a bad price to pay for what Buchnevich brings at all.

Bean would have been okay too but we already have Hanifin, Valimaki, Kylington, and Mackey as younger LH dmen in the org.

The real miss (and it’s tough to say if it’s a miss or not) could be not moving Monahan. The market seemed like it was good to sell off a piece this weekend. But tough to say without knowing what actual offers are.
1a. The goalie involved is probably not worth 25% of what Wolf is worth. Maybe Chechelev.
1b. Florida's 1st was protected. As would Calgary's.
For me, the deal would be scary because Reinhart can be a UFA soon if he wants to be.
That would be my main reservation. It could an expensive rental.

2. You would've just been "okay" with this deal? I think Calgarypuck would been crazily overjoyed if the Flames had made this trade for Buchnevich.

Another deal is the Nedeljkovic one. At that cost and cap hit, despite having Markstrom, I would've offered more than that in a heartbeat.

But the rest of the post I agree with. And yes, with so many bad moves by the Oilers, Canucks, Philadelphia, Minnesota (buyouts), etc. We can't complain too much.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 08:01 PM   #4174
Rollin22x
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesfan05 View Post
Both Buch and reinhart would make a difference
Both could be had for a reasonable price
Those deals were not available to everyone. It’s not like those players were on EBay for everyone to bid on.
Rollin22x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 08:15 PM   #4175
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post
Not sure about giving up on Wolf but I would have definitely given next years 1st for Reinhart. Then looked at trading Backlund for a prospect and a pick if that was possible, though I think that would be a stretch.
Next years 1st could easily be a top 10 pick and you'd give that up for Reinhart?
Hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hackey For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2021, 08:21 PM   #4176
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I Actually think the Flames had a solid weekend. There are a bunch of new kids in the organisation that look to have lots of potential, and could make an impact.

I agree. 5 years from now we all shall be smiling.
DeluxeMoustache is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 08:24 PM   #4177
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustygoon View Post
His zoom after Gio left and then the bland commentary on Coronato compared to prior years look to me that he is under tremendous pressure. And you could tell he was absolutely gutted when talking about Gio and what he meant to Tre. This guy knows he has to make some change and I assume his lack of commentary on Coronato except for saying “he scores from multiple areas” several times tells me he is working hard on changing this team. Total guess but I’ve never seen him look so drawn/jaded/preocccupied/down or whatever that was.
I think Tre has been working the phones hard and probably realizes that there isn't much available for what he has to offer. Tkachuk or Hanifin are likely the only two players returning anything of significance but you're giving to get so likely aren't really ahead. Tre is in a very tough spot. I think we will be disappointed in what he is able to pull off.
Old 07-24-2021, 08:24 PM   #4178
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
I agree. 5 years from now we all shall be smiling.
And 31 other teams did the exact same thing.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hackey For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2021, 08:33 PM   #4179
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
1a. The goalie involved is probably not worth 25% of what Wolf is worth. Maybe Chechelev.
1b. Florida's 1st was protected. As would Calgary's.
For me, the deal would be scary because Reinhart can be a UFA soon if he wants to be.
That would be my main reservation. It could an expensive rental.

2. You would've just been "okay" with this deal? I think Calgarypuck would been crazily overjoyed if the Flames had made this trade for Buchnevich.
1) Levi and Wolf are similar, and Wolf for sure would have been the ask from Buffalo. Both were 7th round picks. Both really broke out after their draft. Wolf is more proven overall at junior. But Levi started for the WJC team and played amazing, while Wolf was back up for the US. And due to Covid that’s really the most recent memories GMs would have from these two goalies. Levi is a draft year later too, so a little further behind the development curve from that perspective.

Wolf for sure would have been the ask from Buffalo though IMO.

2) That deal would come down to contract. Buchnevich could be deadset on just taking whatever he gets awarded in arbitration, which would walk him right to UFA. He still hasn’t signed in St.Louis so tough to say until that’s wrapped up. If he’s was willing to sign with some term though then yeah I would have been ecstatic with a similar deal.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 08:42 PM   #4180
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

I simply would not have wanted to give up that 1st. The lottery protection only bumps it a year - where you could have another high pick.
this team simply shouldn't be trading 1sts in my view. Not for someone who isn't a top of the lineup difference maker. I see Reinhart as a really good complimentary piece but not enough of an upgrade to really change the fortunes for the Flames.
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post: