Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2008, 07:54 AM   #21
kn
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Yeah, I have a MacBook with both OS X/Vista so there's not point in getting a MacAir.

I was torn between a high-end iMac or low-end Mac Pro but went for the iMac.

Once you go Mac, you never go back!
kn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 08:55 AM   #22
fredr123
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm really digging the idea of an ultralight Mac notebook. We switched to a Macbook Pro at home last year and have really enjoyed the change. I pack a notebook computer between the home and office all the time and would really appreciate a cool ultralight. I don't see a need for a DVD/CD drive anymore since most if not all of my work is stored on the office network. Couple problems that need to be dealt with before I jump on board though:

- battery is not replaceable (like iPods) so you won't be able to carry an extra battery with you or swap in a new one when the original battery inevitably starts to fail;

- I'm not up to date on the docking situation with Mac notebooks but I would wager there isn't a good solution yet for the Macbook Air form factor (having a doc with a nice keyboard/mouse/monitor setup at work is a huge benefit);

- SSD option is really pricey right now

Of course, it would probably take our IT guys a long time to figure out how to get a Mac on the Windows-only network at our office. Heck, half the time the various applications we use won't function properly on Windows machines.

Last edited by fredr123; 01-16-2008 at 09:00 AM.
fredr123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 09:58 AM   #23
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Problem is I need a laptop now, we gave away my wife's laptop and desktop to family, so when she gets back next week she's not going to have a computer.

I don't even want to order the Dell 1530 that I will probably go with either because it doesn't have the new Penryn processor in it.

I might have to cobble something together temporarily.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:13 AM   #24
fredr123
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Problem is I need a laptop now, we gave away my wife's laptop and desktop to family, so when she gets back next week she's not going to have a computer.

I don't even want to order the Dell 1530 that I will probably go with either because it doesn't have the new Penryn processor in it.

I might have to cobble something together temporarily.
http://www.memoryexpress.com/Product...)/Default.aspx

I'm really interested to hear from someone how well these things work. My wife spends about 90% of her time on the laptop surfing the web (gmail, facebook, online banking). I think something like this would work pretty well for her. Maybe your wife too?
Old 01-16-2008, 10:50 AM   #25
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

yeah, i'm waiting for the pro's as well. They are pretty late already in updating it, so I would be hoping it's here long before May.

I also hope the styling mimicks the Imac, with the nice black and silver combination. As thin as Air is, I think I prefer Wired's version to the official one.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 11:03 AM   #26
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredr123 View Post
http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/SalesClearance(ME)/PartnerPages(ME)/ASUSEeePC(ME)/Default.aspx

I'm really interested to hear from someone how well these things work. My wife spends about 90% of her time on the laptop surfing the web (gmail, facebook, online banking). I think something like this would work pretty well for her. Maybe your wife too?
She actually does work on her computer so that's pretty much out of the question.

Though I would like one for myself!
Old 01-16-2008, 11:33 AM   #27
fredr123
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
She actually does work on her computer so that's pretty much out of the question.

Though I would like one for myself!
I'm thinking it would be ideal for logging into your home media server from the comfort of your couch. You could start torrents, organize your media library and serve up the latest ep of BSG etc.

Or surf the game thread without melting your junk with a hot laptop.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:19 PM   #28
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow that thing is cool. If I had a need for a laptop I would buy one of these. Small, light and simple. Although not that cheap.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 09:24 AM   #29
StrayBullet
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

One USB port. No CD/DVD drive. Functionality does not work for me. Really ckufing cool, though!
StrayBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 09:33 AM   #30
algernon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

OK, so I preordered one... I'm not too worried about the lack of Optical Drive, As I mostly Surf and bought the superdrive anyway... Can't I buy an 'extension cord' type dealy to increase the number of USB's?
algernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 09:39 AM   #31
Flaming Choy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by algernon View Post
OK, so I preordered one... I'm not too worried about the lack of Optical Drive, As I mostly Surf and bought the superdrive anyway... Can't I buy an 'extension cord' type dealy to increase the number of USB's?
Yes, i'm pretty sure you can get a usb hub for it; very cheap too.

Seems sorta counter intutive to have an ultra-portable laptop that requires you to carry around all these adaptors, but it does look amazing.
Flaming Choy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 10:12 AM   #32
Kipru
One of the Nine

Exp:

I found this totally unbiased review from the net. Seems pretty cool, I can't wait to purchase it. It will match well with my beret and iphone.

http://www.riemurasia.net/jylppy/big...d=27259&full=1
Old 01-21-2008, 12:06 PM   #33
Neeper
Official CP Photographer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kn View Post
Once you go Mac, you never go back!
True dat!
I switched just a little over a year ago. I have a MBP and the new iMac. I love them both. I never have any problems with them. Everything just works, all the time.
Neeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 11:29 PM   #34
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredr123 View Post
- battery is not replaceable (like iPods) so you won't be able to carry an extra battery with you or swap in a new one when the original battery inevitably starts to fail;
Ouch - what could have been something quite useful for the road warrior who actually uses it a lot in a day is whacked in the knees by this. In my consulting days I'd torch a lithium ion battery to a 1 hr life in a year with some way serious usage on a combination of AC/battery and deep cycle charges at random. $129 + downtime to fix?

I'm sure they'll change this in the next version, just like they did in the iPod. Oh wait....

It's a pretty computer though.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 02:20 AM   #35
Kipru
One of the Nine

Exp:

I really can't figure it out why would you Mac-people buy much more expensive and technically inferior equipment than most of the PC's. Is it really about standing out from the crowd? Do you really need that half an inch somewhere what you can save from the laptop thickness? Seems like great hoax to me.

But then again, I can't understand most of the things happening these days. Men wearing makeup, Finnish people drinking red wine, Kiprusoff sucking and people listening to Rap and techno. It's like we are living in a upside-down world.

Last edited by Kipru; 01-27-2008 at 07:40 AM.
Kipru is offline   Reply With Quote