Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2021, 08:04 AM   #1
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:
Icon24 Brent Seabrook announces he is unable to continue playing and calls it a career

https://www.nhl.com/blackhawks/news/...ns/c-322133900
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 08:07 AM   #2
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

Chicago dodges another one.

Good career though, he used to be really good.
DJones is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DJones For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2021, 08:07 AM   #3
3thirty
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

While I wish him all the best and he had a great career, Chicago is really lucky to get out of his 6.875 million cap hit for the next 3.5 years...
3thirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 08:08 AM   #4
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Count down to him popping up in the Hawks front office in 3, 2, ....

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 08:09 AM   #5
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Weird decision though right? Surely he could've just got the doctor to declare him unfit to play and he goes on LTIR, cashing $7 million checks every year while being unofficially 'retired'.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 08:12 AM   #6
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

I doubt he is "officially" retiring. The Blackhawks announced he was put on LTIR before his retirement announcement

They still will have to deal with his caphit and pay him. He just won't play a game ever again.

It is LTIRetirement and they will have to use LTIR space to benefit..

Similar to the Hossa situation but Seabrook still has some significant salary and signing bonuses still left to be paid out.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2021, 08:12 AM   #7
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Weird decision though right? Surely he could've just got the doctor to declare him unfit to play and he goes on LTIR, cashing $7 million checks every year while being unofficially 'retired'.
Oh I'm pretty sure he will still go on LTIR and get his money. I think the retirement word is being used as he's done playing hockey. Officially, he's on LTIR for the length of his contract.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 08:14 AM   #8
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3thirty View Post
While I wish him all the best and he had a great career, Chicago is really lucky to get out of his 6.875 million cap hit for the next 3.5 years...
For sure, but Seabrook was still a pretty good player until serious injuries made him ineffective. He would have been worth some of that cap hit if healthy.
Old 03-05-2021, 09:15 AM   #9
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lol @ the disbelief of a guy who played 15 years in the National Hockey League with three cups having the audacity to retire due to injury.

You try it.
Old 03-05-2021, 09:25 AM   #10
browntrout
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Out of curiousity, I wonder what the insurance cost premiums are for the player to pay with a LTIR, like around 30 million, that s a great retirement payout
browntrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 09:29 AM   #11
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Lol @ the disbelief of a guy who played 15 years in the National Hockey League with three cups having the audacity to retire due to injury.

You try it.
No kidding.

Over 1200 NHL games on his resume, its hardly a stretch to believe that his body simply cant do it any more.

Really good player for a lot of years.
Old 03-05-2021, 09:30 AM   #12
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
I doubt he is "officially" retiring. The Blackhawks announced he was put on LTIR before his retirement announcement

They still will have to deal with his caphit and pay him. He just won't play a game ever again.

It is LTIRetirement and they will have to use LTIR space to benefit..

Similar to the Hossa situation but Seabrook still has some significant salary and signing bonuses still left to be paid out.
I hate this. This is cap circumvention. If Seabrook cant play, he should retire. he shouldnt get all of the money still while being camped on IR. The hawks need some sort of penalty enforced against this.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 09:33 AM   #13
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm sure they would consider it, but first, it's Chicago, and they already let them get away with the Hossa thing. Second, other teams have done it too and without a peep from the league - most notably the Maple Leafs (there's a reason this is called "Robidas Island").

The only team that actually has to deal with cap penalties, rather than getting around them or having the league bail them out, is Vancouver... which is fairly hilarious.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 09:34 AM   #14
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

It’s only cap circumvention if he can play. If he can’t, then it’s using the rules exactly as intended. Also lol at arguing someone should walk away from money they are entitled to because they got hurt on the job.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2021, 09:36 AM   #15
Infinit47
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
I hate this. This is cap circumvention. If Seabrook cant play, he should retire. he shouldnt get all of the money still while being camped on IR. The hawks need some sort of penalty enforced against this.
My initial gut reaction is always that of how convenient this is for the team in question.

But the reality is, this guy put his body on the line and was hurt at his job. He deserves every penny of that contract.
Infinit47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 09:39 AM   #16
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It would actually behoove the Hawks if Seabrook retired outright. In this case, LTIR protects the player, not the team, since they still sort of have to deal with his contract.
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 10:00 AM   #17
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have to give him the credit he deserves. He was a well thought of prospect and a fan favorite during his time in Lethbridge in his WHL years. Initially I liked him. However, I saw some warts in his game and I didn't think he was ever going to make the NHL for more than just a cup of coffee. He proved me wrong and had a long and very good NHL career.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 10:13 AM   #18
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Huh?

That's what IR is for. He can't play because he is permanently injured. And he got permanently injured playing hockey. I believe he had 3 surgeries, including to his shoulder and to his hip.

How is this cap circumvention? The Hawks are not taking advantage of anything that other teams do on a daily basis.

I assume then that you believe that hockey contracts should become non-guaranteed in the case a player gets injured? Good luck with that one.
The Following User Says Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2021, 10:14 AM   #19
thefoss1957
#1 Goaltender

Location: Chicago Native relocated to the stinking desert of Utah
Exp:

I appreciate that Seabrook's "heavy" playing style led to a breakdown. I also resent the league's attempt to punish teams that front loaded contracts, that were perfectly legal and acceptable at the time, with the ridiculous cap penalty. Changing the rules on pre-existing contracts is, patently, unfair, and should only apply to contracts signed AFTER the rule change.It is not as if the rules allowed restructuring to meet compliance to the changes.

As for his career, in some ways, Seabrook was slightly disappointing, in that, he was much more hyped coming out of Juniors than most other defenseman that draft. He turned out "very good" instead of the projected "totally dominant". And suffers, some, in comparison, with his long time defense partner, Keith, who received very little buzz coming into that draft.

But, all in all in leadership, and performance, Seabrook was an excellent player for his tenure as a Blackhawk, and is a guaranteed to get his jersey number "7" retired. And that is a good thing, as the other guy that wore that number, who stands as my most hated and overrated 'Hawk player of all time, is also likely to be honored with sharing that number retirement. And I will never forgive Chelios for taking that selfish retaliation penalty, behind the play, in game 3 of the the 1992 SCF..
Old 03-05-2021, 10:16 AM   #20
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinit47 View Post
My initial gut reaction is always that of how convenient this is for the team in question.

But the reality is, this guy put his body on the line and was hurt at his job. He deserves every penny of that contract.
Absolutely because Seabrook is a shell of his former self. But if he hadn't had such devastating injuries, he likely would still be a viable useful NHL d-man. Injuries robbed him of so much playing ability.
The Following User Says Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post: