Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2021, 04:50 AM   #61
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
The tension at the end of episode 3 was captivating but once again the journey to that point was a slog. I get the old school sitcom setting as a tribute and satire but this gets old quickly. Unless you are an old TV cinephile who is also a big Marvel nerd looking for every Easter egg, I'm not sure who this is aimed at.

I really wish we waited until the series was completed then binged the entire thing because this drip feeding of plot is becoming a chore.
I guess I'm the target audience then, because I'm really enjoying the whole.

It's a very Lynch-light mood piece, it's funny and silly and weird and super meta, and probably at its best when they're insinuating stuff rather than spelling it out.

I think focusing on the idea of "the Real Plot" is misunderstanding the show in a bad way. All the stuff is the real content, the retro sitcom stiff is not "filler" and that combination of retro with a modern grimdark developing continuity is what makes it interesting and stand out.

Last edited by Itse; 01-25-2021 at 04:52 AM.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2021, 07:52 AM   #62
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

What I have learned during my time on CP is that I am very easily entertained. I am super grateful for that. My kids and I really enjoyed episodes 2/3 of Wanda vision and can't wait until next week.

My youngest (7) now wants to rewatch Age of Ultron since he doesn't really remember much about Quicksilver and how Vision was created.
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Boblobla For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2021, 08:51 AM   #63
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
I guess I'm the target audience then, because I'm really enjoying the whole.

It's a very Lynch-light mood piece, it's funny and silly and weird and super meta, and probably at its best when they're insinuating stuff rather than spelling it out.

I think focusing on the idea of "the Real Plot" is misunderstanding the show in a bad way. All the stuff is the real content, the retro sitcom stiff is not "filler" and that combination of retro with a modern grimdark developing continuity is what makes it interesting and stand out.
I agree with this. The show is actually a retro sitcom, with characters who are unique obviously adn have a backstory with which we are familiar. And then there is a mystery thread flowing through the episodes and presumably we will see the show transition more and more towards resolution of this mystery.

But I think some viewers, like myself, just aren't that entertained with the reto sitcom aspect of it. I don't find it all that sunny (the point of a sitcom after all) and while I appreciate how well they have reconstructed the tone of these shows, I'm not sure if that's such a difficult achievement.

In any case, it's still much watch TV because of the characters involved and the episodes are so short and the season is so brief that it's not hard to stick it out.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 06:38 PM   #64
sleepingmoose
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Looks like WandaVision may start to get at least a little more interesting this week. Or at least move a little further away from inside the sitcom world.

sleepingmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 07:34 PM   #65
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Kat Dennings!!!

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 06:37 AM   #66
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, if folks were waiting for the crunchy bits and the bigger picture, this is your episode. And if this one doesn't pique your interest enough to keep going, it's probably time to find something else to watch.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 08:37 AM   #67
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm getting about a minute of interest per episode so far
TSXCman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 09:28 AM   #68
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Latest episode was great. Lots of returning characters in this one.

If you believe in ratings, IMDB has the first 4 at 7.5, 7.9, 8.4 and 9.2.

If you didn't like the first few episodes, it feels like it's coming back to "normal" Marvel.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 10:03 AM   #69
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Just started and this is the best episode

Spoiler!

We are definitely jumping into modern era Marvel now.
Clearly it should have been a 4 ep dump to start, in order to keep fans interested.

Last edited by #-3; 01-29-2021 at 10:14 AM.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to #-3 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2021, 12:04 PM   #70
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post
Clearly it should have been a 4 ep dump to start, in order to keep fans interested.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2021, 04:07 PM   #71
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just watched episode 4. That was excellent! Now we're gettin' somewhere.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 05:06 PM   #72
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I will say, getting to the end of that episode they still didn't manage to tell a whole concise story. Lots in the episode, but they didn't move the plot much at all, they still have some work to do perfecting the 20 minute weekly format.
Old 01-29-2021, 05:10 PM   #73
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
Just watched episode 4. That was excellent! Now we're gettin' somewhere.
I'll concur. Now we're getting a story.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 05:25 PM   #74
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

That was totally wicked!!! (But also seems super sad...)
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 05:38 PM   #75
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yep, time for me to shelve the whining and moaning. Lots of blanks filled in while leaving quite a few questions to be answered.

I guess that also confirms that people returning from "the Blip" returned where they left off, which raises a bunch of horrific realizations.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 05:39 PM   #76
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Episode four was great.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 05:45 PM   #77
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
Yep, time for me to shelve the whining and moaning. Lots of blanks filled in while leaving quite a few questions to be answered.

I guess that also confirms that people returning from "the Blip" returned where they left off, which raises a bunch of horrific realizations.
horrific realizations?

A couple was have sex, one of them blips, 5 years later a new couple is living in their house, and out of nowhere there is a naked stranger bobbing up and down in their bed?
Old 01-29-2021, 05:47 PM   #78
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

That explained a lot and definitely has me invested. Agreed it was more of a catch up the audience episode than moving the plot forward but now we are all set up for an exciting finish.

I enjoyed Randall Park acting as basically the audience surrogate trying to make sense of it all. His white board notes immediately had me thinking of internet nerd speculations. Kat Dennings was okay. She's super adorable and I can sort of buy her a scientist but the jokes fell very flat.

A few other thoughts:
-I'm very intrigued at the identity of this missing person from the witness protection program. There has to be a big reveal coming here.
-We got another aspect ratio. It's 4:3 for the sitcom and 16:9 for the real world but now they went to a more cinematic wider ratio when we see into Wanda's powers and mental state. I'm thinking this scene is meant to be a massive character transition so was treated as a moment of cinematic importance.
-That scene at the end is the stuff of nightmare fuel. I had trouble sleeping last night.
-God damn it annoys me when movie/TV characters decide to touch some random likely dangerous thing. Maybe try a different drone or some other instruments first, or at least put on gloves.

Last edited by FireGilbert; 01-29-2021 at 05:49 PM.
FireGilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 06:03 PM   #79
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

My question is, why is Monica in black and white in the show but the SWORD drone is in colour? Both came from the outside world, right?

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 06:19 PM   #80
Luder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I hope this is following the “House of M” story line from the comics.
Luder is offline   Reply With Quote