Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What will happen to Brad Treliving after the end of the season?
He should and will be fired 167 17.06%
He should be fired, but will continue as the Flames GM 277 28.29%
He should not and will not be fired 288 29.42%
He should not but will be fired 27 2.76%
Unsure if he should be, but he will be fired 37 3.78%
Unsure if he should be, but he will not be fired 183 18.69%
Voters: 979. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-05-2021, 10:58 PM   #1041
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well he fixed goaltending and now he's fixed the coaching.

Wtf do I bitch about now
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2021, 11:08 PM   #1042
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
well he fixed goaltending and now he's fixed the coaching.

Wtf do i bitch about now
rw
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 11:16 PM   #1043
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
rw
Meh, I didn't mind him prioritizing G and D instead. RW is a hole but not one I'm going to rant and rave about
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2021, 11:19 PM   #1044
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
rw
"Hey, Jarome."

"Hey, Darryl."

"Still got it?"
Old 03-05-2021, 11:39 PM   #1045
Rutuu
First Line Centre

Exp:

2012 Kings was Richards (Tkachuk), Williams (Lindholm), Carter (Monahan), kopitar (Gaudreau), Stoll (backlund), voynov (hanafin), Muzzin (tanev), rookie doughty (Gio), quick (markstrom), brown (mangiapane), Penner (Lucic), rookie Toffoli (Dube), Scuderi (Anderson), Clifford (Bennett)

Rakell on RW makes the narrative better...
Rutuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 12:00 AM   #1046
playmaker
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutuu View Post
2012 Kings was Richards (Tkachuk), Williams (Lindholm), Carter (Monahan), kopitar (Gaudreau), Stoll (backlund), voynov (hanafin), Muzzin (tanev), rookie doughty (Gio), quick (markstrom), brown (mangiapane), Penner (Lucic), rookie Toffoli (Dube), Scuderi (Anderson), Clifford (Bennett)

Kopitar, 6-3/220, was one of the best two way centres in the game. Not sure how he can be compared to a 5-9/165 skilled winger. In fact, a player like Kopitar is exactly the missing piece in the puzzle.
playmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to playmaker For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2021, 12:20 AM   #1047
Rutuu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by playmaker View Post
Kopitar, 6-3/220, was one of the best two way centres in the game. Not sure how he can be compared to a 5-9/165 skilled winger. In fact, a player like Kopitar is exactly the missing piece in the puzzle.
Agree fully...Gaudreau matches up more with Gaborik from the 2014 championship team. Kopitar is something the team is missing, but Tkachuk and Lindholm are better than their equivalents.

The Flames will have to do it a different way than the Kings did all those years ago...but the skill is there for the current club. This isn't the 2003-04 Flames where we had Iggy and a bunch of guys that gel'd in front of one of the best goaltenders in the league.

I can't believe how much of a 180 the Sutter hire has done for my outlook for this roster.
Rutuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 12:52 AM   #1048
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Only the roster isn’t skilled enough not do they have the size. We established this the past two years of playoff elimination. Darrel will get them to play better than they are but no matter what, against true championship teams even good coaching won’t take them over the top. Trelivings hands are tied with bad cap signings.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 06:50 AM   #1049
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think it's been discussed, but in the press conference Brad had a brief line where he said player movement is a little tough right now and they'll definitely look at that. I thought that was a blunt assessment of the situation, and if I'm reading into it, Darryl will probably report the players that should be on the trade docket. This should be a really interesting 6 months ahead because I'm sure there will be turnover especially if one of the top guys don't fit in, and it's good that they're looking at guys south of the border.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bluejays For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2021, 07:35 AM   #1050
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
I don't think it's been discussed, but in the press conference Brad had a brief line where he said player movement is a little tough right now and they'll definitely look at that. I thought that was a blunt assessment of the situation, and if I'm reading into it, Darryl will probably report the players that should be on the trade docket. This should be a really interesting 6 months ahead because I'm sure there will be turnover especially if one of the top guys don't fit in, and it's good that they're looking at guys south of the border.
Treliving said a few things that should make some players feel a little uncomfortable.
Old 03-06-2021, 07:46 AM   #1051
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Why is Doughty considered rookie Doughty?
Hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 07:53 AM   #1052
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
5 coaches in 5 years?

Are you talking about Treliving?

This is his 4th coaching hire by my count.

1st one (Gulutzan) was a HUGE dud. A total flub

2nd one (Peters) led the team to 2nd overall in the NHL, got fired for something completely out of Treliving's control and had to be replaced mid season, so Treliving gave the interim tag to a very sharp, in house assistant

3rd hire (Ward) was another bad hire by Treliving, because although Ward had a decent record as the interim, he really dropped the ball during the Dallas series, especially at the end

Credit to Treliving, and Flames ownership for righting that wrong just 20-some games into a 2 year contract. And thank goodness Sutter decided to come out of retirement to take the job.
Players mostly.

Its just a fact though...this is 5 head coaches in a 5 year span. Its pitiful.

Trelivings biggest failure imo is that he refused to recognize he has a room full of players of whom the majority of are unable or unwilling to be prepared to do their jobs night in and night out. The mental fragility of this group is hard to understand but still exists all the same.

That is about to change however and there will be casualties because of it.

Finally.

It may take until the off season to do so because of the inability of so many teams to make deals based on cap situations, but Sutter will quickly identify and weed out the weak links....and they will be removed.
Old 03-06-2021, 08:40 AM   #1053
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutuu View Post

Hanifin: “Why do I have to be Voynov”?
Old 03-06-2021, 09:53 AM   #1054
Flamescuprun2018
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by playmaker View Post
Check out the Ruzicka thread for a good laugh on this.
Flamescuprun2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 11:05 AM   #1055
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamescuprun2018 View Post
Check out the Ruzicka thread for a good laugh on this.
Because one poster breathed a comparison between the two? Hilarious. People are excited about a prospect who is crushing the AHL right now. Of course some will get carried away, but ut's fun.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 11:17 AM   #1056
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Because one poster breathed a comparison between the two? Hilarious. People are excited about a prospect who is crushing the AHL right now. Of course some will get carried away, but ut's fun.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
He IS the poster who breathed the comparison.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2021, 11:49 AM   #1057
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

There are never two identical teams to winning a cup. The Flames aren't going to match up perfectly to the LA Kings under Darryl Sutter. They aren't going to match up perfectly to the Chicago Blackhawks, or St. Louis Blues, or Tampa Bay Lightning..

Do they have the right mix to win? I think they do.

What the Flames haven't done yet is play as a team. They played as a team with that commitment to winning under Hartley for a while, and I would say that team greatly overachieved. However, they were a pretty crappy team all things considered in terms of depth and experience.

Do they have it now? I think there are obviously better groups out there, but you don't have to be the best team on paper. You just have to be a good team on paper, that is the best team on the ice, and I think the Flames can be that.

The greatest issue with this team over the last few seasons has been inadequate coaching to take them to the next step. I think this team is as ready as it will be. You can compare the pieces the Flames have versus other winning teams (and why has no one replicated the '89 team???), but there isn't two teams that necessarily match up perfectly. I really do believe that this team has the pieces to win, but they need great coaching, that willingness to do whatever it takes to win and play as a team, and some luck (injuries and bounces that you can't really control). I like the chances this team has. Far from guaranteed, and not even among the teams that are thought of as contenders, but this can be a plucky group that can surprise you with some speed and toughness, and might absolutely shock you if they can all get on the same page.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2021, 11:53 AM   #1058
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m doubtful the Flames have the team to win it all. I think they are still lacking a forward who can take the team on his back. I don’t think it’s Johnny or Tkachuk, and they are the best candidates.

I do think Sutter will do two things - make them better as a team, possibly to a PO round or two, and identify who’s not destined to be part of it going forward (and what they need to get them there).
Old 03-06-2021, 12:21 PM   #1059
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Treliving said a few things that should make some players feel a little uncomfortable.
Definitely - and they should have already been feeling uncomfortable beforehand.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2021, 12:25 PM   #1060
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think there is enough talent on this roster - it is no less talented than St Louis was.

As Calgary4Life said, they need to play as a team, and they need to build some confidence and swagger.

They have elite goaltending. Playing properly, they should be able to be elite, or at least very good, defensively. Get them playing more uptempo, get the forecheck going properly, and with a strong PP, anything is possible.

The thing this year is - the opportunity of getting out of the division is there for the taking. Get yourselves into the final 4 and anything is possible when you have a great goalie.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post: