Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2020, 08:39 AM   #1
the_only_turek_fan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Flames Random question: Why did the Flames trade Reichel in 1997?

I always wondered why they made this trade. Was it money?

I remember his 1995-96 holdout, and then him coming back for the promising 1996-97 season.

They had Fleury, Reichel, Gagner, and young Iginla.

Was it bad blood over the holdout? Bad contract?

It was unfortunate that the back to back 40 goal scorer never regained his touch.
the_only_turek_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to the_only_turek_fan For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2020, 08:53 AM   #2
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Comes down to the fact that once he came back, after the contract dispute, he played quite poorly. And he was a guy, that if he wasn't producing offensively, he was a useless player otherwise.
He was one of my favorites at one point.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2020, 08:55 AM   #3
Flashpoint
Not the 1 millionth post winnar

Exp:

He was a guy who put up 40, and would score the 6th goal in a 5-1 game, win or lose. Very “me first”.

Oilers give up a pick and a player to take on 5.5 mil."
-Bax
Flashpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 08:57 AM   #4
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Was one of my favourite bench players in Ea sports NHL Mid 90’s editions
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 08:59 AM   #5
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

His playoff stats also tell the tale.
8 goals in 70 GPs
5 goals in 26 with the Flames.
The two years when he scored 40 goals, he scored 2 in 13 games in those playoffs.
Just not good enough, and one of the reasons it was a talented team that underachieved.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2020, 09:01 AM   #6
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

I interviewed Reichel when I was a journalism student. To say he had no passion for the game would be an understatement. Also didn’t seem to have any rapport with his teammates. The guy came across as sullen and selfish.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2020, 09:02 AM   #7
Funkhouser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I remember he had a massive noggin
Funkhouser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 09:07 AM   #8
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkhouser View Post
I remember he had a massive noggin
That's why they traded him! Getting bigger helmets was killin' their small town budget! Times were tough.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2020, 09:29 AM   #9
Rejean31
Franchise Player

Exp:

Could not stand him. The epitome of a selfish, only in it for himself player. Bitch and whine constantly about the coach not using him properly.
Old 12-07-2020, 10:25 AM   #10
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I didn't like him much either. I always thought that he was overrated, though he did score well in Calgary. I just never really liked his game much at all.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2020, 09:31 PM   #11
JD
First Line Centre

Exp:

Not the greatest skater but the guy could shoot the puck. Maybe during regular season you can get bombs off from anywhere in the offensive zone and bag 40 but when guys start blocking shots playing for the Cup, it's not as easy. Reichel wasn't the kind of player that would fight to get into the greasy areas.
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 09:50 PM   #12
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

He had good regular seasons but choked hard in playoffs.
Never forgiven for missing the tap in miss in game 7 OT 1994 vs Vancouver on the 2 on 1.

It really was downhill from that point in time.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2020, 09:54 PM   #13
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Big shot, and a good eye for the net. Zero and I mean zero sense of urgency and work ethic. He was a massive liability without the puck, and if I remember there were rumors that he was outright hated in the dressing room.

When he was traded, it was like good riddance .

I remember and I had to look it up, his return in the Islands trade was basically a nothing burger. We got Marty McInness, Tyrone Garner and a 6th round pick.

I mean Marty had a 19 goal season for the Flames and iirc he was a decent checker. Garner played three games for the Flames and got lit the F up.

But still we got rid of a cancer in Reichel. The Flames thought so little of him that when he was traded they basically threw his stuff in a garbage bag. I remember him leaving the rink and growling at the reporters and all of his stuff was in a glad garbage bag.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2020, 09:57 PM   #14
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I remember the playoff series with King as the coach and Reichel had one glorious chance after another to finish game 7 and couldn’t do it. I th it i i in t was the Canucks series?

IIRC King had some crack about what he would do differently and it had something to do with having someone other than Reichel all alone with the puck in front of the net. I don’t have details right but that’s how I remember it.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 09:58 PM   #15
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Big shot, and a good eye for the net. Zero and I mean zero sense of urgency and work ethic. He was a massive liability without the puck, and if I remember there were rumors that he was outright hated in the dressing room.

When he was traded, it was like good riddance .

I remember and I had to look it up, his return in the Islands trade was basically a nothing burger. We got Marty McInness, Tyrone Garner and a 6th round pick.

I mean Marty had a 19 goal season for the Flames and iirc he was a decent checker. Garner played three games for the Flames and got lit the F up.

But still we got rid of a cancer in Reichel. The Flames thought so little of him that when he was traded they basically threw his stuff in a garbage bag. I remember him leaving the rink and growling at the reporters and all of his stuff was in a glad garbage bag.

It didn't help then that he scored the only shootout goal a year later in the 1998 Olympic semi final vs Czech, either.
Old 12-07-2020, 10:02 PM   #16
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I remember the playoff series with King as the coach and Reichel had one glorious chance after another to finish game 7 and couldn’t do it. I th it i i in t was the Canucks series?

IIRC King had some crack about what he would do differently and it had something to do with having someone other than Reichel all alone with the puck in front of the net. I don’t have details right but that’s how I remember it.
Nsfw

9:49 mark for it in real time. 10:05 for the Peplinski comment "look at all the net Reichel has".

When that didn't go in, like Nieuwendyk in 1990 vs LA, Nilson in game 6 2004 OT and Leopold with 4 mins to go Game 7 vs Tampa, you knew the Flames weren't going to win.
The Following User Says Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2020, 10:13 PM   #17
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Aloof player who wasn't worth the money anymore.

Prior to his holdout year he was making about $700,000/yr (Canadian; this was back in the day when Canadian teams could sign players to contracts in Canadian dollars), and he refused to come back until he was paid in American dollars and got a substantial raise. Ended up being paid about $2M that '96-'97 season, and frankly wasn't worth it (only Flames player who made more was Fleury, ~$2.4M). Marty McInnis, whom they traded him for, scored about as well as Reichel did at that point and was better at the other end of the ice, and importantly for the Flames only made about $500,000 or thereabouts.

Two years later (contract year) the Islanders traded him at the deadline to the Coyotes, who balked at his demand for a $3M/yr contract. They let him hold out back in the Czech Republic for a couple years before trading his rights to the Maple Leafs (who gave him his stupid $3M+/yr contract and regretted it not long thereafter).

Last edited by timun; 12-07-2020 at 10:17 PM.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 11:28 PM   #18
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
He had good regular seasons but choked hard in playoffs.

Never forgiven for missing the tap in miss in game 7 OT 1994 vs Vancouver on the 2 on 1.

It really was downhill from that point in time.
It looked like such a sure thing they even turned the goal light on

To date, the end of that game is still my alltime most painful Flames playoff moment.

Last edited by Sainters7; 12-08-2020 at 12:20 AM.
Sainters7 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sainters7 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2020, 12:01 AM   #19
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
It looked like such a thing they even turned the goal light on

To date, the end of that game is still my alltime most painful Flames playoff moment.
That could have been a cup year...FFS raise the puck!
Old 12-08-2020, 05:54 AM   #20
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
His playoff stats also tell the tale.
8 goals in 70 GPs
5 goals in 26 with the Flames.
The two years when he scored 40 goals, he scored 2 in 13 games in those playoffs.
Just not good enough, and one of the reasons it was a talented team that underachieved.
That's true. But also looking at his playoff stats it looks like they are quite skewed due to his lack of production when with the Leafs. With the Flames he decent was for point totals. His lack of goals while a Flames was concerning, but he did produce 0.73ppg clip in the playoffs which align with his overall career average of 0.76ppg. Still, you want your 40 goal guy to show up when it matters most.

I just remember wanting so much more from him after his 40 goal seasons and in the post season. Can't recall the return the team got for him but I'm sure it sucked.

Last edited by Huntingwhale; 12-08-2020 at 05:56 AM.
Huntingwhale is online now   Reply With Quote