Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2019, 05:57 PM   #141
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Since he almost traded Brodie for Kadri which would have resulted in no cap room gained, and with Neal/Stone likely holding no value, he must have something in the hopper for Frolik.

I still think Brodie gets dealt for a top 6 forward this summer.
Seems almost a certainty Frolik gets dealt for anything not involving salary. Flames need the cap room. Frolik likely wants a change of scenery and I’m not sure the coach wants him back.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 05:59 PM   #142
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Trading Ryan would be a terrible idea. He's one of the Flames' most valuable players in that he can almost always be counted on for secondary offense when the top guys get cold.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2019, 06:08 PM   #143
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Who do we think would want Frolik while also having cap space for him?

Maybe the Blue Jackets, Islanders or Flyers?
I think he'd look good on the Blue Jackets.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 06:12 PM   #144
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Trading Ryan would be a terrible idea. He's one of the Flames' most valuable players in that he can almost always be counted on for secondary offense when the top guys get cold.
Derek Ryan had a fantastic second half and I know you like him but let's not overstate his value, he finished with six more points than the much maligned Mark Jankowski.

Jankowski had a better first half then faltered, Ryan was taken off the second PP for a stretch and was a healthy scratch. The two then switched. Jankowski looked lost in the last half of the season and Ryan really thrived with Hathaway and Mangiapane. But he cannot almost always be counted on. That focuses way too much on one stretch of the season.

Anyway my initial post about Ryan was thinking about the Kadri trade. With Kadri in that would move Backlund down to third center and Ryan down to 4th. And with the way Toronto liked him you'd have to think he might have been going the other way.

If the Flames are still hunting for another two way center to support Monahan, I think Ryan is still on the table.
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rando For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2019, 06:18 PM   #145
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Part of Ryan's value is he finished 58.2% in faceoffs.

Lindholm 54.3%
Jankowski 52%
Monahan 51.1%
Backlund 49.6%
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2019, 06:26 PM   #146
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I doubt it but Ryan is far from a core piece so the Flames should not be afraid to make that deal. Janko has much more upside though and likely hasn’t come close to his ceiling. Really seems like a late bloomer.
How much longer will it take Jankowski to bloom? He is 25.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 06:28 PM   #147
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Yeah I would figure Ryan (and Mangiapane) get a full time promotion to the 3L. Jankowski, if he is still with the team come this fall, assumes the 4LC role
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 06:33 PM   #148
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbit View Post
No irony in the fact that post was also about Derek Ryan, who didn't step foot on NHL ice until the age of 29?

Hoping you don't infer I'm an idiot when replying to me this time!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rando For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2019, 06:33 PM   #149
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I think anti-Treliving sentiment is behind at least some of the constant references to Neal around here. And it was a bad move, in hindsight anyway. For me, I totally see why it happened, and even why it happened after the Brouwer business.

Of course, it's never mentioned that people expected Gaudreau and Gio to cost collectively about $4-7 million more than the actual contracts that got signed. These things have evened out to a fair degree.
Yeah, Treliving did a pretty good job last year in terms of contracts top to bottom. Some downright outstanding deals (Gaudreau, Gio, Lindholm), most at least fair value for money, and then the 2-3 duds. Can’t really blame him for those at the time of signing, but he ultimately is still accountable.

It is too bad, but comes the time where RFAs need to be paid. Last year was a sweet spot, and the team will probably get a touch worse when they make room.

But Tre should have been largely commended for the roster and contracts last year.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2019, 06:35 PM   #150
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Part of Ryan's value is he finished 58.2% in faceoffs.

Lindholm 54.3%
Jankowski 52%
Monahan 51.1%
Backlund 49.6%
Yes, and also I recall Peters noting at one point down the stretch how long they had gone as a line without an even strength goal against.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 06:44 PM   #151
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think he will likely have his prime at age 27-31. I don’t think the Flames need to necessarily wait. If the deal was Brodie+Janko+pick for Kadri I would have been pumped about that deal.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2019, 06:45 PM   #152
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rando View Post
No irony in the fact that post was also about Derek Ryan, who didn't step foot on NHL ice until the age of 29?

Hoping you don't infer I'm an idiot when replying to me this time!
Indeed, Only if you neglect that one was a first round pick and the other played in Europe for 7 years.
Old 07-04-2019, 06:57 PM   #153
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Indeed, Only if you neglect that one was a first round pick and the other played in Europe for 7 years.
Not entirely sure why that matters at this point.
Old 07-04-2019, 07:02 PM   #154
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rando View Post
Not entirely sure why that matters at this point.

Who is a more valuable player at this point?

I choose Ryan.
Old 07-04-2019, 07:17 PM   #155
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Ditto!

That doesn't answer nor address my reply, it's an almost puzzling response.

Still not sure why draft position matters now. Maybe Jankowski is a late bloomer, which was ironic in a reply talking about Ryan who was for sure one. One was drafted in the first round, one wasn't at all. I am neglecting that fact, because it doesn't matter.

What about you? Can you explain why it does? Why one has to factor that into either player now, in 2019?
Old 07-04-2019, 07:25 PM   #156
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

One player, up to this point, is not compelled to playing through adversity, though gifted with 1st round status, and one player has excelled and proven it in a less than privileged way.
Old 07-04-2019, 07:26 PM   #157
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Draft position is irrelevant at this point. There are exceptions to the general progression of a player, Ryan is one as well.

The question is: is Jankowski another Ryan? Or is how Joe Colborne? And how long do you wait to find out?

He’s definitely passed the point of having any reasonable shot at being a star. But there’s still a possibility of him being a really excellent bottom six player. He’s just gotta start putting it together, because unlike Ryan he’s in the NHL in his 20s, and instead of waiting for his first chance he’s using it up as we speak. He’s gotta make more of it.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2019, 07:30 PM   #158
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Draft position is irrelevant at this point. There are exceptions to the general progression of a player, Ryan is one as well.

The question is: is Jankowski another Ryan? Or is how Joe Colborne? And how long do you wait to find out?

He’s definitely passed the point of having any reasonable shot at being a star. But there’s still a possibility of him being a really excellent bottom six player. He’s just gotta start putting it together, because unlike Ryan he’s in the NHL in his 20s, and instead of waiting for his first chance he’s using it up as we speak. He’s gotta make more of it.
Jankowski lacks the compete level. Ryan has it, though less skilled, he is more valuable.
Old 07-04-2019, 07:32 PM   #159
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Give him til the end of next season? He'll be north of 200 games, so he should have established the player he's going to be. We've given other players 300+ games to find their way and waited for other players into their mid-20s, so I think that is reasonable for a guy that took a non-traditional route to the NHL. No?
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 07:37 PM   #160
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Give him til the end of next season? He'll be north of 200 games, so he should have established the player he's going to be. We've given other players 300+ games to find their way and waited for other players into their mid-20s, so I think that is reasonable for a guy that took a non-traditional route to the NHL. No?
Yes, agreed.

However, don’t buy that the compete level is a maturity thing.

The comparison was Ryan, speaking of “non traditional “.