Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2024, 09:38 AM   #641
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow. Both of these teams realize they're 7-8 points out of a playoff position right? That's teetering near the edge of impossible with the amount of runway left.

And yet they're dragging their feet on Markstrom and Mercer and talking about playoffs still.

Usually only the oilers succumb to this level of delusion publicly.

I think the Flames just got cold feet (could see it) and the package was reasonable. But they can hold out cause I don't think any other team can offer a better young center.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TrentCrimmIndependent For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2024, 09:42 AM   #642
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
Wow. Both of these teams realize they're 7-8 points out of a playoff position right? That's teetering near the edge of impossible with the amount of runway left.

And yet they're dragging their feet on Markstrom and Mercer and talking about playoffs still.

I think the Flames just got cold feet (could see it) and the package was reasonable. But they can hold out cause I don't think any other team can offer a better young center.
NJ is going to tumble, Flames make the playoffs, Markstrom goes god mode, and NJ makes a splash at the trade trading us their now much better pick for him with retention. Profit.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 09:48 AM   #643
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Vanacek had any value, even retained, IMO he'd just be dealt by NJ in a separate deal.

I'm with you that Holtz + 1st even seems like too much. Don't see NJ parting with Siegenthaler as they are rumored to be after a defenseman. Maybe they'd try to dump Palat on us or something.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 09:49 AM   #644
Tbull8
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
If Vanacek had any value, even retained, IMO he'd just be dealt by NJ in a separate deal.

I'm with you that Holtz + 1st even seems like too much. Don't see NJ parting with Siegenthaler as they are rumored to be after a defenseman. Maybe they'd try to dump Palat on us or something.
Palat has always seemed like a guy that would end up a flame at some point. Same way I felt about Toffoli
Tbull8 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tbull8 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2024, 09:52 AM   #645
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post

I think it still happens, Markstrom has 2 years left and has publicly criticized the Flames for how this was handled. It's time to move on if he wants to move on. He has a NMC and could be more difficult in the summer if we continue to drag our feet on this one.

But if we move him now, we probably will need to move him for less than a young center with potential. Might have to get that later.

Sharangovich moving to center has been fine so IMO with him, Kadri and Backlund we are ok for now. Address that this summer.
Macho0978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 09:52 AM   #646
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

If we had to take Palat back I’d rather just keep Marky; he’s 32 going on 33 and has a 6 mill cap hit that is lockstep with our other heavy contracts. Also a left shooting LW, we need to be opening up spots for the youth not putting in more veteran depth in positions we’re already overloaded on.
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 09:52 AM   #647
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
Maybe Conroy is playing the long game here. Waits to make it harder for the Devils to make it, before finally accepting the Devils' best offer, only for them to not make the playoffs anyway. Their pick is not lottery protected (as Conroy made sure) and they win the lottery with their pick. Calgary picks in the top 10 twice this draft.
I doubt the 2024 pick is in play, and if so is likely top 10 protected anyway.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 09:53 AM   #648
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
I doubt the 2024 pick is in play, and if so is likely top 10 protected anyway.
All the more reason to wait on the Deal.

You can't give away the best Goalie you've had in a decade for nothing.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2024, 09:55 AM   #649
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

2025 1st is fine as well.

If they get 22/23 Markstrom that could be a great pick.
Paulie Walnuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 09:57 AM   #650
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post

To add Markstrom and trade Vanecek is a seperate deal 50% retained is alot of cap for a team to take on. Especially next year. In my scenario the 2 teams retaining are rebuilding teams, NJ is not trading for Markstrom to build next year. That $1.7 mil cap on their books next year make 0 sense.

NJ could also after the deal look at a rental vet dman with salary retained to replace Seigenthaler. Maybe they are looking for a dman because Seignthaler is in the deal and they are seeing what is out there as a cheap replacement.

You don't think Vanecek double retained at $850k has value? 1 bad year and the guy becomes useless? Vanecek would be a good back up at nearly league minimum and 100% has value at $850k
Old 03-04-2024, 10:36 AM   #651
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Vanecek is good tandem goalie, he isn't just a cap dump. He is having a poor season. Markstrom had a poor season last year, now he may fetch a 1st and good prospect.

52 games last season .911 save % and .908 the years prior with 42 and 37 games played.

He may even be someone we could extend if he is decent enough.
Paulie Walnuts is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Paulie Walnuts For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2024, 10:39 AM   #652
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The winning streak makes it hard for Conroy to deal Markstrom

NJ is also dead

No deal till the draft
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 10:41 AM   #653
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
Vanecek is good tandem goalie, he isn't just a cap dump. He is having a poor season. Markstrom had a poor season last year, now he may fetch a 1st and good prospect.

52 games last season .911 save % and .908 the years prior with 42 and 37 games played.

I agree and double salary retained for next year, I bet some of these teams struggling in net would pay a 2nd for him. Getting him next year at just over league minimum could be huge value and is easy to dump if it doesn't work out.

I like retaining salary on Vanecek over Markstrom if I'm the Conroy.

Getting pieces you can flip for a pick also might be the best way to get value for Markstrom, rather than holding out for Mercer and it never happens.
Old 03-04-2024, 10:41 AM   #654
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post

Sound like Brian Elliot 2.0

But worse
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 10:48 AM   #655
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

Gotta say I really don't like the Devils whole "well we didn't offer what Conroy wanted for you, but we still love you Markie! See you in the summer!" Borders on tampering, IMO.
cannon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 10:50 AM   #656
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon7 View Post
Gotta say I really don't like the Devils whole "well we didn't offer what Conroy wanted for you, but we still love you Markie! See you in the summer!" Borders on tampering, IMO.
Tampering how?
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2024, 11:17 AM   #657
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Tampering how?
The Flames have an upset goalie due to negotiations with the Devils breaking down. The Devils go to the media with "hey, it was all Conroy, we are still interested." Which basically primes things for Markstrom pushing for a trade in the offseason, likely at a reduced return. In effect, the Devils are tampering with the contractual relationship between the Flames and Markstrom. If the deal fell through, the proper thing to do is just move on a maybe revisit in the summer. But instead we keep getting this "hearing from the Devils camp..." stuff.

It would be like Conroy going to the media to say, "Hey Vanecek, the Devils consider you a cap dump, but we think you're swell. Oh, and Holtz and Mercer, they are looking to trade both of you as well. And don't even get me started on what the Devils have to say about Meier."

Note I said borderline. Certainly consider it improper.
Old 03-04-2024, 11:21 AM   #658
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Could only "border on tampering" if Marky were UFA now. Not in several years.
Old 03-04-2024, 11:24 AM   #659
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The Flames have an upset goalie due to negotiations with the Devils breaking down. The Devils go to the media with "hey, it was all Conroy, we are still interested." Which basically primes things for Markstrom pushing for a trade in the offseason, likely at a reduced return. In effect, the Devils are tampering with the contractual relationship between the Flames and Markstrom. If the deal fell through, the proper thing to do is just move on a maybe revisit in the summer. But instead we keep getting this "hearing from the Devils camp..." stuff.

It would be like Conroy going to the media to say, "Hey Vanecek, the Devils consider you a cap dump, but we think you're swell. Oh, and Holtz and Mercer, they are looking to trade both of you as well. And don't even get me started on what the Devils have to say about Meier."

Note I said borderline. Certainly consider it improper.
Did NJ publicly state they would still want to trade for Marky in the summer? or was that media speculation?
Jiggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 11:31 AM   #660
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggy_12 View Post
Did NJ publicly state they would still want to trade for Marky in the summer? or was that media speculation?
The media reports are citing sources in the Devils organization. Is it really news that the Devils might still trade for Markstrom in the summer? Someone is pushing hard here.