Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-23-2021, 01:57 PM   #1
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default 2021/2022 English Premier League

We're an Euro tournament past the end of last season, less than a month until 21/22 kicks off and most if not all clubs have already begun their pre season preparation so might as well get a new thread started.

Kane? As the saying goes, sell high. No better time to max out on him now especially with the limited cash that seems to be floating around.

Some vague rule changes.

Quote:
Are there any rule changes?

The most notable rule change for the new season concerns handball, where the International Football Association Board (Ifab) have said "not every contact between the hand/arm and the ball is a handball offence".

It means that accidental handball in the build-up to a goal will no longer be an offence, but a goal will still be ruled out if it is scored or immediately created by accidental handball.

The use of concussion substitutes was trialled in February of last season and will continue into this term, where up to two permanent substitutions can be made in the event of head injuries, even if all replacements have already been used.

Are there any VAR changes?

The video assistant referee (VAR) came under scrutiny almost every week and the Premier League have decided to use thicker lines to assess offside calls.

The change is hoped to eliminate more of the marginal offsides which led to huge criticism last campaign.

There were several instances where a player's toe or armpit led to goals being ruled out, which fans and pundits felt was ruining the game.
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/57835265

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bagor For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2021, 05:32 PM   #2
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

What limited cash? Paratici is making it rain all over europe right now
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to d_phaneuf For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2021, 12:21 AM   #3
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting thread here

https://mobile.twitter.com/sportingi...49314819661826
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to d_phaneuf For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2021, 12:26 PM   #4
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh man, Rooney is in do-do.

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/spo...angers-5697723
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 06:30 AM   #5
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

looks like Varane to United for about €50m is in its finishing stages. What a summer this is shaping up to be ... Sancho and Varane are outstanding additions. Ideally they now flog Pogba to PSG and use the funds to sign a defensive midfielder.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 08:43 AM   #6
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Spurs basically completed a hockey trade today, sending Erik Lamela and ~10m to Sevilla for Bryan Gil. It's a done deal and Gil joins after the Olympics.

Apparently Cristian Romero is in the works as well, but nothing finalised at this point. Paratici has been very busy though! I can't list all the players I've seen linked, because it's too many for me to recall and some of them I know nothing about. Kounde keeps coming up, and if we had him, Romero and Gil (along with keeping Kane and the extension we just completed for Son), things look promising. We've also been linked pretty heavily to Tomiyasu. And finally, we also signed a back-up and potential successor for Lloris in Gollini.

Pretty hectic beginning for Paratici, but apparently that's how he works.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2021, 12:12 PM   #7
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
looks like Varane to United for about €50m is in its finishing stages.
actually just €40m plus bonuses, according to Ornstein. Brilliant deal.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1419717581833920516
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2021, 02:12 PM   #8
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ideally they now flog Pogba to PSG and use the funds to sign a defensive midfielder.
For me this is what will partly determine the success of their summer. Not just as much who they get but who they get rid off.

Pogba HAS to go. He's had five years and done basically nothing with his lowlight reels being equal to his highlights. The club is in full rebuild mode and it needs to move on without him.

There's bargains to be had out there for other clubs. Form an orderly queue.

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 05:40 AM   #9
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

thing is, there's an interview of Pogba saying he'd never go to PSG because his parents are big Marseille fans. Now PSG fans are pretty vocal when it comes to a potential deal for Pogba, so that might complicate things. There isn't really a market for him outside of PSG either ... Real seem to save every penny for Mbappe next year plus Zidane is gone, so that's not going to happen. Can't see Juventus being interested in a reunion either, as they looking to sign Locatelli. Barcelona is broke af, and teams like Bayern wouldn't touch Pogba with a ten foot pole. Have to hope PSG come in with intent despite potential fan backlash. There's no market for De Gea either.

Thought there'd be more movement in terms of Lingard and West Ham at this point, but it hasn't happened.
Old 07-27-2021, 06:03 AM   #10
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I saw reports of this over the weekend, but it's official that Toby Alderweireld is going to Qatar. It's the right move, but the end of an era at Spurs. He was a rock there for us, and despite his getting older and not being as effective it's a shame to lose a guy like that. This could pave the way for Romero though, or perhaps help things along with Kounde.

Regardless, we can't possibly go into the season with Dier and Sanchez as our CBs....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2021, 06:11 AM   #11
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

it's a damn shame to see players like Alderweireld go to Qatar. Not like he's super old either, only 32.

as for Kounde, I'm always surprised when I see him linked to the PL. He's what, 5'10? Surely no PL team would risk playing him at CB in England ...
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2021, 06:23 AM   #12
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just assume that the money is really good in Qatar? Like you say, he's only 32 and while he wasn't going to get a deal with a top tier club at this point, you'd think he could on somewhere better?

I have no idea what to think about Kounde. He's been linked a lot both with Spurs and United, but I still think we end up with Romero (who would be a great fit for us, I think).
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2021, 09:05 AM   #13
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
thing is, there's an interview of Pogba saying he'd never go to PSG because his parents are big Marseille fans. Now PSG fans are pretty vocal when it comes to a potential deal for Pogba, so that might complicate things. There isn't really a market for him outside of PSG either ... Real seem to save every penny for Mbappe next year plus Zidane is gone, so that's not going to happen. Can't see Juventus being interested in a reunion either, as they looking to sign Locatelli. Barcelona is broke af, and teams like Bayern wouldn't touch Pogba with a ten foot pole. Have to hope PSG come in with intent despite potential fan backlash. There's no market for De Gea either.

Thought there'd be more movement in terms of Lingard and West Ham at this point, but it hasn't happened.
My go Pogba is an idiot.

Its a Job. Do it. Or take less money and play for Marseille.

He just comes across as a spoiled brat and frankly, given his recent performance levels, he has no right to be so entitled.

He won the World Cup with France....how many years ago now? You cant ride that forever.

And Holy Hell United....Phil Jones is still there?? Are you kidding?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 09:06 AM   #14
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
it's a damn shame to see players like Alderweireld go to Qatar. Not like he's super old either, only 32.

as for Kounde, I'm always surprised when I see him linked to the PL. He's what, 5'10? Surely no PL team would risk playing him at CB in England ...
Its just a job, he's unlikely to be in contention for National Team selection anymore....take the money.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 07-27-2021, 10:31 AM   #15
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I just assume that the money is really good in Qatar? Like you say, he's only 32 and while he wasn't going to get a deal with a top tier club at this point, you'd think he could on somewhere better?

I have no idea what to think about Kounde. He's been linked a lot both with Spurs and United, but I still think we end up with Romero (who would be a great fit for us, I think).
It has to be the money for now. I thought he would try to go back to Belgium, but not many teams could likely afford his wages. Go to Qatar, milk some of that dirty oil money and come back to Antwerp for the twilight?

I imagine the Qatar transfer was a free? EDIT: looks like a 5 million pounds fee

Last edited by Cappy; 07-27-2021 at 12:33 PM.
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 11:17 AM   #16
MegaErtz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

He was under contract for two more seasons according to this link:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...act-until-2023

I'd imagine that Spurs were happy to get his wage bill off the books, but according to this link, thirteen million pounds was the figure.

https://cartilagefreecaptain.sbnatio...duhail-13m-fee
MegaErtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 10:16 PM   #17
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
It has to be the money for now. I thought he would try to go back to Belgium, but not many teams could likely afford his wages. Go to Qatar, milk some of that dirty oil money and come back to Antwerp for the twilight?

I imagine the Qatar transfer was a free? EDIT: looks like a 5 million pounds fee
I think that's kinda become the new trend, go to qatar or china before that in early 30s for a year or two, then finish off somewhere you'd rather retire

The 5m or 13m some people think is a smokescreen from spurs to atalanta for the Romero deal to drive the price down a bit

Veal is a good source usually from the club, so hes carrying their water on this one
Old 07-27-2021, 10:52 PM   #18
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_phaneuf View Post
I think that's kinda become the new trend, go to qatar or china before that in early 30s for a year or two, then finish off somewhere you'd rather retire

The 5m or 13m some people think is a smokescreen from spurs to atalanta for the Romero deal to drive the price down a bit

Veal is a good source usually from the club, so hes carrying their water on this one
Like Veal dont have enough problems, you're making them carry water too?

Old 07-28-2021, 07:59 PM   #19
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Like Veal dont have enough problems, you're making them carry water too?
This way they get toughened up and wouldnt make a good schnitzel

Its saving their life!
The Following User Says Thank You to d_phaneuf For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2021, 08:06 PM   #20
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_phaneuf View Post
This way they get toughened up and wouldnt make a good schnitzel

Its saving their life!
Alright.

That was Dark but good. Well done.