Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Leagues and Games > Calgarypuck Hockey League
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2014, 09:35 PM   #1
Goffie
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Pens GM sits back grabs a Keith and Lands a Skog.

After making a bold move bringing back Alex Ovechkin last week. The Pittsburgh Penguins had an unexpected busy weekend in the trade market.
The Pens had a direction they wanted to go. They knew who they would move and the type of player that would be coming back.
As usual when all seems plain and simple in the CPHL things get crazy.
The trade talks started when Gabriel Landeskog's name appeared on the trade block. An inquiry led to preliminary talks being opened. Then Duncan Keith's name passed our eyes so we made contact with Philly. Those talks led to a player that we had no intention on moving Ryan Murray and Jason Demers being shipped out and Keith coming in.
This was a tough deal. We moved one of the top young dman in the league. However when you bring in one of the top five defensemen in the world. You make the move and ask questions later.
Shortly after Keith was brought in another idea was thought of. Previously "untouchable " Viktor Hedman was offered up for Landeskog. The talks escalated and on Sunday night a deal was made. The Pens sent Hedman and young forward Anders Lee to the oilers for Landeskog and a 2015 2nd.
The Pens are high on Lee's game. I think he will be a solid 2nd line winger and our thoughts on Hedman haven't changed since he was drafted. This past season he finally made the jump towards becoming the franchise defensemen he was thought to be. It was hard to move Hedman after his 55pt season but we are very high on Landeskog's leadership and all around game and feel he fits in well with the way we want to build our team moving forward.
Thanks to Joe and Dustin for the entertaining talks and we look forward to making some more moves in the upcoming days.

All in all we paid a hefty price but brought in players we feel will help our team moving forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Goffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 10:27 PM   #2
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good deals all around. Love all the transactions.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 01:09 AM   #3
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Ouch. Titles too punny... can't... concentrate... on awesome deals...
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 05:50 AM   #4
TurdFerguson
Franchise Player

Exp:

NM - don't know how I missed your TB post Paceman, but I did. Annoyed to have spent so much time chasing you via PM on landeskog and then not be around at the end.

Last edited by TurdFerguson; 06-09-2014 at 06:19 AM.
TurdFerguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:10 AM   #5
Goffie
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^He was on the block. That's how I found out he was available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Goffie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Goffie For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2014, 07:50 AM   #6
MJK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurdFerguson View Post
NM - don't know how I missed your TB post Paceman, but I did. Annoyed to have spent so much time chasing you via PM on landeskog and then not be around at the end.
Does it help that my last PM to Paceman on Friday went unanswered?

I waited 3 days to hear from that guy. Still waiting...

Poor form Paceman.
MJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 09:32 AM   #7
Pacem
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I wanted to improve my D or G by moving Landeskog. I accomplished that. Lee will likely be in the Oilers line up next season in a minor role. That is part of the rebuilding that the Oilers have been taking. We got a legit #1 dman which our team desperately needed. Ended the 12/13 season 3rd last in the league. Squeaked into the playoffs pushing the eventual Cup champions to game 7 OT last season. Looking to improve upon that and win at least one round next year. We think solidifying our D will help us achieve that goal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurdFerguson View Post
I put him on the block Friday morning and didn't make a deal till Sunday evening. I put Landeskog on the block because a few people were after him thru PM for awhile. Sorry, I didn't feel it was necessary to chase around every individual who previously inquired about Landeskog.

Truth be told, the best offer I got was on Friday morning prior to Landeskog being on the block. I would have pulled the trigger then but I decided to put Landeskog on the block because people sent me previous offers. I thought that was the only way to be fair to the people that previously inquired about Landeskog. I lost out on the offer I liked best. I tried to do the right thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJK View Post
Does it help that my last PM to Paceman on Friday went unanswered?

I waited 3 days to hear from that guy. Still waiting...

Poor form Paceman.
Sorry I didn't respond to your last message. We did go back and forth on Friday and I believed we talked on gtalk as well, correct? We exchanged messages, I want that to be clear. I didn't just flat out ignore you. He wasn't dealt till Sunday evening. You had enough time to inquire again. I got lots of messages, I am human, I forgot.

To the GM who made the first offer that made me decide to put Landeskog on the block, I am sorry. I was worried about people getting upset if Landeskog was dealt without knowing he was available. Turns out it didn't even matter, lol.
Pacem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 09:39 AM   #8
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nope it didnt. All good. I got a decent return on my guy and you did well in your trade.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 09:49 AM   #9
MJK
Franchise Player

Exp:

If my last PM to you is a question, answer the question by PM. Why would I send an additional PM when I asked you the question? Did you want me to answer myself? I asked a very simple question and waited for the response. That's usually the way it works.
MJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 09:54 AM   #10
Swayze11
something else haha

Exp:

Swayze11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:21 AM   #11
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

I think he's offered a reasonable explanation. I've certainly been in the same boat where you lose track of all the PMs you have going on.

The Wild were in on this - couldn't quite make it work - we were offering a young stud Dman plus blue chip - but Pacem got a dman who is already a top guy as opposed to my offer which was a guy that projects to be one.

So well done by both parties.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:31 AM   #12
TurdFerguson
Franchise Player

Exp:

You're right Paceman, you certainly didn't owe me anything and you didn't need to go out of your way to PM me once you put the player on the block. I just expected (wrongfully) a bit more given how consistently and patiently (days between replies) I pursued you via PM over the span of a couple weeks.

All good - your trade to run in this case.