Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2022, 09:16 AM   #861
Iggy Snipe
Powerplay Quarterback

Location: Pengrowth Saddledome, Section 222, Row 23, Seat 14/15
Exp:

I hope I am wrong but...

Johnny leaves as a UFA

Tkachuk takes a 1 year deal, then leaves as a UFA

I don't believe either of them want to be in Calgary any longer. Too many other good destinations with better facilities, better weather, less taxes, etc etc.

Calgary is not an ideal destination for star players. With the arena deal going down, it is even less now.

Just my thoughts.
Iggy Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Iggy Snipe For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2022, 10:26 AM   #862
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy Snipe View Post
I hope I am wrong but...

Johnny leaves as a UFA

I don't believe either of them want to be in Calgary any longer. Too many other good destinations with better facilities, better weather, less taxes, etc etc.

Calgary is not an ideal destination for star players. With the arena deal going down, it is even less now.

Just my thoughts.
I agree. I think winning can offset that stuff to a huge degree, but we very clearly aren't doing that here/haven't done that in three decades.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 11:04 AM   #863
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I hope I am wrong but...

Johnny leaves as a UFA

Just my thoughts.
Everyone has a price
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 11:07 AM   #864
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
I agree. I think winning can offset that stuff to a huge degree, but we very clearly aren't doing that here/haven't done that in three decades.
It may be the opposite, winning would drive the price up

There is a reason players performing best during contract year
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 11:10 AM   #865
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

The problem with Johnny leaving to play on a winner is that he would need to accept less than $10 million/yr to do that. No Stanley Cup favourite can afford to pay him like he wants.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 01:22 PM   #866
FlameyMcFlameFace
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Just a thought, do you guys wonder if how we are handling Covid here in Canada will be a factor for some of these players when resigning? Especially the American players. Some of these players simply can’t go out and they are playing in a building that is half full at best.

Right or wrong on the restrictions in each country (not making this a debate on Covid restrictions) if you were in your 20s and seeing the difference between your colleagues playing in the States I guess you’d play the what if game in your head.

I wish it wasn’t a factor. And maybe it isn’t. But honestly who knows
FlameyMcFlameFace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlameyMcFlameFace For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2022, 01:23 PM   #867
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

During the last press conference, Sutter said that the team was playing without a sense of emotion and urgency. Tkachuk is supposed to be the sparkplug on the team. The element of his game that is 'Marchand lite' has been missing since the game against the Leafs last season, where Muzzin lobbed the puck at Tkachuk after the whistle, and the rest of the Flames did not back up Tkachuk's anger at Muzzin.

The thought at the time was that the Flames leadership group told Tkachuk to settle down, and Matty took that to heart. He has been settled down ever since. But now a big part of that leadership group is gone, in Giordano, and Tkachuk is still settled.

Right now, Tkachuk is a very good, producing, top line winger. He is not bringing a sandpaper or agitator quality to his game. To me that is a long term $7M per season investment, which means that Tkachuk will be overpaid on his next contract if he doesn't rediscover his inner Brady Tkachuk.
Old 01-15-2022, 02:04 PM   #868
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
During the last press conference, Sutter said that the team was playing without a sense of emotion and urgency. Tkachuk is supposed to be the sparkplug on the team. The element of his game that is 'Marchand lite' has been missing since the game against the Leafs last season, where Muzzin lobbed the puck at Tkachuk after the whistle, and the rest of the Flames did not back up Tkachuk's anger at Muzzin.

The thought at the time was that the Flames leadership group told Tkachuk to settle down, and Matty took that to heart. He has been settled down ever since. But now a big part of that leadership group is gone, in Giordano, and Tkachuk is still settled.

Right now, Tkachuk is a very good, producing, top line winger. He is not bringing a sandpaper or agitator quality to his game. To me that is a long term $7M per season investment, which means that Tkachuk will be overpaid on his next contract if he doesn't rediscover his inner Brady Tkachuk.

May be another leader, a new leader can tell Tkachuk to be his old Chucky again. And tell him that the person who told him to settle down is gone? Just a thought.
midniteowl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 02:45 PM   #869
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post

I don’t know if sandpaper and agitation should even be qualifiers for bumping up pay. To me, it’s wins vs losses. Does said player help this team win and by how much? That’s what should determine value to the team. You also just mentioned Matthew should rediscover his Brady Tkachuk, but Brady Tkachuk’s team is one of the worst in the league. So how much is Brady’s sandpaper/agitation really helping his team?

Matthew is worth well over $7M. He’s on one of the best, if not the very best 2 way lines in the league. Their goals scored to goals allowed ratio is pretty bonkers this deep into the season. They basically score 3 goals to every one goal allowed. They’re the only reason why this team isn’t sitting 32nd in the league standings. That’s worth a lot of money right there as other GMs know this too.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 06:39 PM   #870
Groot
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I don't see how Philly has anywhere near the capspace to sign Johnny next year without other major moves. They have $14.8 million in space according to Capfriendly, and they have 9 forwards signed, 3 defenseman and 1 goalie.
Groot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 07:11 PM   #871
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Do these kinds of things really matter to these players though? These guys are filthy rich, they're getting paid in U.S. dollars, and can basically jet around and live wherever they want during the off seasons and go anywhere they want for vacations and extended breaks. Johnny for example has that sweet summer home in Jersey, and I'm sure he's got a fancy place in Calgary as well. Players are so busy playing hockey during the season, I'm betting they don't give two s***s about that stuff.

If they have kids, then maybe those things might be some kind of deal breaker. But if you're a single guy in your 20s, does it really matter which city or country your team is based in when you have that much money?
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 07:20 PM   #872
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
Do these kinds of things really matter to these players though? These guys are filthy rich, they're getting paid in U.S. dollars, and can basically jet around and live wherever they want during the off seasons and go anywhere they want for vacations and extended breaks. Johnny for example has that sweet summer home in Jersey, and I'm sure he's got a fancy place in Calgary as well. Players are so busy playing hockey during the season, I'm betting they don't give two s***s about that stuff.

If they have kids, then maybe those things might be some kind of deal breaker. But if you're a single guy in your 20s, does it really matter which city or country your team is based in when you have that much money?
Don't ask questions like these, you are ruining the negative crowds vibe that want to see Johnny walk, Tkachuk walk, the arena to never be built, and the team to leave. Well...maybe not that last one as they will have no team left to find happiness in negatively.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 01:52 PM   #873
Tkachukwagon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Some reassuring news about the Gaudreau and Tkachuk contracts, courtesy of Hailey Salvian from the Athletic:

https://theathletic.com/3083781/2022...shared_article

Quote:
Why haven’t we heard more (or anything!) about potential Gaudreau or Tkachuk extensions? — Josue M.

There are two main reasons for this.

First, none of the parties involved — from Treliving, to Gaudreau and his agent, and Tkachuk and his agent — are talking about it. Gaudreau said at camp he wouldn’t answer questions about his contract. Treliving has said he isn’t going to “play-by-play” any contract talks. Both agents (Lewis Gross and Craig Oster) are historically tight-lipped, so there won’t be much coming from them either.

If there are talks happening right now, that information is not being made available.

And there is no incentive for the players to sign now when their value is seemingly only going up. Gaudreau is scoring at more than a point-per-game clip and is currently on pace for 101 points over 82 games. It’s still early in the season, so that could certainly dip, but he could also have a consistently effective season and signing now would likely leave money on the table — unless the Flames come with a figure Gaudreau and his camp are happy with long-term. For Tkachuk, he is a restricted free agent with arbitration rights. There is no rush on his side, and no pressing deadline (like free agency) for the Flames to consider.

I wouldn’t worry about the lack of reporting about their contracts at this point in the season. It’s early, and these are agents who don’t typically allow a lot of leaks. Just because you aren’t hearing about it, doesn’t mean nothing is happening
Tkachukwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tkachukwagon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2022, 02:05 PM   #874
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I hope I am wrong but...

Johnny leaves as a UFA

Just my thoughts.
Sounds like a really well-balanced, objective take.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 09:07 PM   #876
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post

Since Johnny just got married I'd assume that will play a major role in his decision. Even if he's busy with Hockey his wife won't be so I'm sure she has a large say in where he signs. I'd imagine a family is in their future so that will also play into the decision.

The fact that players flock to places like New York, Vegas, Florida, Cali, etc. is proof that yes these things make a difference.
Hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 10:03 PM   #877
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackey View Post
Since Johnny just got married I'd assume that will play a major role in his decision. Even if he's busy with Hockey his wife won't be so I'm sure she has a large say in where he signs. I'd imagine a family is in their future so that will also play into the decision.

The fact that players flock to places like New York, Vegas, Florida, Cali, etc. is proof that yes these things make a difference.
Reasonably sure Gaudreau’s wife knew he played for the Calgary Flames, and yet she still married him!

The narrative that Gaudreau’s wife will pull him away from Calgary flies in the face of what his public comments were last summer. Keep in mind, he didn’t have to say anything when asked about resigning. He could have said a number of things that skirted the issue but instead he specifically said he would like to stay if the organization was happy with what he has brought to the team. I doubt very much he would publicly say he would like to stay without having that conversation with his wife.

Last edited by TOfan; 01-21-2022 at 10:05 PM.
TOfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 10:05 PM   #878
Flames1217
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post
Reasonably sure Gaudreau’s wife knew he played for the Calgary Flames, and yet she still married him!

The narrative that Gaudreau’s wife will pull him away from Calgary flies in the face of what his public comments were last summer. Keep in mind, he didn’t have to say anything. I doubt very much he would publicly say he would like to stay without having that conversation with his wife.
She also lives in Calgary with him...
Flames1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 07:37 AM   #879
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames1217 View Post
She also lives in Calgary with him...
Newlywed wives have been known to live with their husbands on occasion…..
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 08:29 AM   #880
Flames1217
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
Newlywed wives have been known to live with their husbands on occasion…..
Not for that.

Why would a person go through all the trouble with immigration offices if they didn't see at least a mid to long term future.

Theyve lived apart for years, for her to move now is telling.
Flames1217 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flames , stanley cup , win