Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2021, 08:54 AM   #41
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
I'm not huge into politics, and didn't want to talk about the day to day political discussion from the thread, but thought it would be interesting to hear:
-what people's opinions are about the parties themselves?
-each individual party leader?
-reasoning for making their decision?

My personal view on how I'm voting - not so much what's good for me, but good for the economy as a whole.

Liberals, I'm not happy with Trudeau's scandals, but do appreciate his view on human rights. He's a mediocre leader at best, and his lack of education scares me.

Jagmeet and the NDP I'm not sure what they stand for. He seems to have easily the highest education but can't take a stance on anything, and seems to be more liberal than the Liberal party itself.

Conservatives I think have a good move this year. In a year where spending will have to be curbed in the next few years, I think I'm leaning to them as the best party. Erin O'Toole just doesn't seem like an intelligent guy, and so he'll be leaning on his people to provide him advice.

Each party is really making a mistake with their leadership and I'll be voting the best of the worst this year with O'Toole. I am concerned about how they'll treat the little guy down the road though, as I don't want them bending over for corporate interests.
Sorry...this made me chuckle.

I'm not disagreeing with you per se, but "The Teacher's Lack of Education is concerning."

Yeah, Trudeau is so stupid he couldnt find his own ass with both hands and a map is concerning.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 09:14 AM   #42
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Strategically voting CPC to prevent a liberal majority. At least they have somewhat of a climate plan and OTool hasn't disappointed me to the extent the Scheer did.

God I shudder to think how Scheer would have led the covid response.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 09:40 AM   #43
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

What I don’t understand about federal politics in general about a developed nation, is why aren’t the leaders all economists? None of these guys have a background close to economics, and they’re expected to lead the economy? The CEO of a large corporation would be the next step down but even then it’s a different skill set compared to an economist. It really is odd, and some would say scary, to think that a lawyer, teacher or military vet could be the ones setting economic policy for a developed nation.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 09:43 AM   #44
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

A country isn't just economics. What you need is a strong finance minister for that. They make recommendations. It's been awhile since we had one of those, Paul Martin was the last good one I can think of.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2021, 09:44 AM   #45
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

That's democracy for you. Pick the most popular person, credentials nice to have, but not required.

If anything we should be moving towards quantum computing-based governance where all economic decisions are made with buttloads of data, trend analysis and forecast projecting, and where humans are minimized in the equation. We don't have the brain power to make complex decisions. The hubris to assume we do.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2021, 09:47 AM   #46
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
A country isn't just economics. What you need is a strong finance minister for that. They make recommendations. It's been awhile since we had one of those, Paul Martin was the last good one I can think of.
100% right. But a huge amount of it is ensuring the economy is on the right path and healthy. I really look down upon their professions as being the background for the job. None are politically savvy either. So are they all just puppet faces representing their parties for who they want their constituents to vote for? Sure seems like it.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 09:49 AM   #47
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
That's democracy for you. Pick the most popular person, credentials nice to have, but not required.

If anything we should be moving towards quantum computing-based governance where all economic decisions are made with buttloads of data, trend analysis and forecast projecting, and where humans are minimized in the equation. We don't have the brain power to make complex decisions. The hubris to assume we do.
That'd only be as good as the humans who make the assumptions in programming it.
Old 08-25-2021, 09:53 AM   #48
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
That'd only be as good as the humans who make the assumptions in programming it.
Put in all the best human economic models, statistical analysis methods, trend analysis techniques, and throw boatloads of data at it. Then have sentient AI extrapolate commonalities in economic adjustments and fill in the model gaps where needed to make all parallel techniques jive for long-term economic planning.

Humans are not capable of making the most macro-level economic decisions. We need large-scale processing power that takes every corner of economic activity into consideration.

Let the data do the talking.
Old 08-25-2021, 09:58 AM   #49
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not the pylon that is Len Webber, that's for sure. Not sure he does anything, other than sending out push polls and ridiculous pamphlets to the riding. Utterly useless.
Old 08-25-2021, 10:01 AM   #50
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Put in all the best human economic models, statistical analysis methods, trend analysis techniques, and throw boatloads of data at it. Then have sentient AI extrapolate commonalities in economic adjustments and fill in the model gaps where needed to make all parallel techniques jive for long-term economic planning.

Humans are not capable of making the most macro-level economic decisions. We need large-scale processing power that takes every corner of economic activity into consideration.

Let the data do the talking.
I think if we create sentient AI we have a lot more to worry about than economic models. I've read sci-fi, I know where this goes...
Old 08-25-2021, 10:04 AM   #51
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been impressed by O'Toole so far. I will consider voting CPC for the first time in my life. Need to really think about it though (and obviously review the platform much more carefully).

There really aren't a lot of great options this time around.

This thread did at least inspire me to go back and look at Michelle Rempel's greatest hits on Twitter again. That's always fun. Wait, did I just say that I was considering voting for her party? What am I doing?
Old 08-25-2021, 10:06 AM   #52
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

We're already messing up this planet with environmental damage, climate change, nuclear weapons, late-stage capitalism, colonialization, continued genocide, and extreme inequality around the globe. Unless the UFO's decide to land and share their tech or God decides to stop being an introverted ass clown and show up and save us, we're definitely not helping ourselves without a smarter intelligent intervention.
Old 08-25-2021, 10:09 AM   #53
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
We're already messing up this planet with environmental damage, climate change, nuclear weapons, late-stage capitalism, colonialization, continued genocide, and extreme inequality around the globe. Unless the UFO's decide to land and share their tech or God decides to stop being an introverted ass clown and show up and save us, we're definitely not helping ourselves without a smarter intelligent intervention.
Trudeau is bad but not that bad.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 08-25-2021, 10:13 AM   #54
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

I'm going to put that one from you in my back pocket
Old 08-25-2021, 10:33 AM   #55
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

no poll?
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 10:40 AM   #56
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

It's funny, the one year in forever where I could actually see myself voting conservative because their leader isn't an idiot and their platform is actually from the 21st century, but I can't because I'm in Rempel's riding and she's a buffoon. Why anyone would vote for an MP that doesn't even live in the province let alone the country is beyond me, but I'm sure she'll coast to an easy reelection. I'm going to vote NDP out of conscience and to help boost their numbers a tad
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2021, 10:47 AM   #57
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

I live in one of the most conservative ridings in Canada ( according to the CBC election map tool). As such it is an easy win for the CPC ( with their closest competition being the PPC).

Historically I have always voted for the green for 1 - because my vote doesn't come close to denting the 50,000 vote or so lead, and for hope that a growing base of single issue environmentalist voters would sway the big two parties into responsible environmental governance. My concern these days is that the Green party is no longer a single issue party. But ultimately it doesn't really matter, since the CPC will win by a landslide.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2021, 11:10 AM   #58
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I honestly have no idea at this point. I like the Liberals putting out the policy to ban foreigner from buying homes in Canada for 2 years, but I don't think it is enough nor am I convinced they will follow through. Also getting pretty sick of their monthly side-shows.

I am willing to list to the the Conservatives and NDP at this point.

In all honesty, I am vote Green if I vote at all.
Old 08-25-2021, 11:15 AM   #59
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Likely the conservatives if I vote. I really only have two options - the liberals and the conservatives. Any other party is a non-starter.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 11:25 AM   #60
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, its tough.

Justin will never get my vote. Ever. I'm not 'Anti-Liberal' but I am while he and his corrupt cronies are running that ship.

The NDP and the other also-rans arent really going concerns.

The Conservatives are looking up a bit, but overall, I am the easiest voter right now.

I dont need enormous Campaign Promises and huge reforms or anything like that.

I want a leader thats going to smash the pause button like it owes him money.

"Okay....all that was insane....lets all pause and take a breath now."

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post: