Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2020, 09:15 PM   #81
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

God, why does the demolition of the walkway bother me so much?

It's just such an odd feature I guess.

"Here hockey fans, take the train to the arena!"

"But wait, there's more! Marvel at the Agrarian Society's exhibit! Wonder at the hall of advertising posters! Stand in awe of the large concrete exhibition hall with nothing in it! Become fascinated by random inside/outside path you take in the coldest winter you've ever experienced, and ask yourself why the designer didn't make the entire goddam thing indoors!"

It's weird, and I'll miss the hell out of it.
Cali Panthers Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 74 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
3thirty, Azhouse, BeltlineFan, BigFlameDog, Bill Bumface, Boo Radley, Buff, calgarybornnraised, Cecil Terwilliger, Chingas, Chris Biotti, chummer, Cowboy89, CroFlames, CrunchBite, D as in David, DeanOMac, Dion, ditty, drewtastic, DT77, dustygoon, Finger Cookin, Fire, flamesfan1297, Flashpoint, FlatLandFlamesFan, Francis's Hairpiece, Funkhouser, FurnaceFace, Gaskal, Gondi Stylez, GreenHardHat, HitterD, Hockey-and_stuff, Huntingwhale, I-Hate-Hulse, Inferno099, Ironhorse, jayocal, Jiri Hrdina, Joborule, KevinKlineReadingABook, lambeburger, Mattman, Mightyfire89, MrMike, Mr_Pilot, Mustache, Number 39, OldDutch, P-DAZZLE, PaperBagger'14, Party Elephant, powderjunkie, Press Level, rayne008, Redliner, Red_Baron, Regular_John, Roast Beef, Scornfire, Scroopy Noopers, shogged, Superflyer, Textcritic, The Familia, The Hendog, TheScorpion, the_only_turek_fan, tknez16, topfiverecords, tvp2003, You Need a Thneed
Old 11-10-2020, 09:21 PM   #82
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

You could write many books about the walk from the Vic Park C-train station to the Dome.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2020, 09:25 PM   #83
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

That walkway is quite the shared memory for Flame fans.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2020, 09:33 PM   #84
drewtastic
First Line Centre

Exp:

My final time in the Corral, for the Hitmen "Corral Series". What a great night.

(Been saving this photo for quite some time..."Spoilered" for size.)

Spoiler!
drewtastic is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to drewtastic For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2020, 10:57 PM   #85
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post

"But wait, there's more! Marvel at the Agrarian Society's exhibit! Wonder at the hall of advertising posters! Stand in awe of the large concrete exhibition hall with nothing in it! Become fascinated by random inside/outside path you take in the coldest winter you've ever experienced, and ask yourself why the designer didn't make the entire goddam thing indoors!"

We’re also losing the dizzying spiral ramp down to 15th Ave that was a great exclamation point on the end of the whole experience.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2020, 11:08 PM   #86
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
We’re also losing the dizzying spiral ramp down to 15th Ave stench of urine that was an great exclamation point on the end of the whole experience.
fyp
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 12:16 AM   #87
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m sure the urine will remain.
Old 11-11-2020, 01:05 AM   #88
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post

The one thing that concrete catheter of a hallway had that was really cool was most of the posters of the stampede. There were advertisement posters in there dating back into the early 1900s and that was always my favorite part of that walk.
PaperBagger'14 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to PaperBagger'14 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2020, 03:11 AM   #89
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
We’re also losing the dizzying spiral ramp down to 15th Ave that was a great exclamation point on the end of the whole experience.
Yabba Dabba Dooo!
powderjunkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 07:36 AM   #90
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
The one thing that concrete catheter of a hallway had that was really cool was most of the posters of the stampede. There were advertisement posters in there dating back into the early 1900s and that was always my favorite part of that walk.
Same. Loved the Stampede posters.

Well no matter what happens with the new arena you’re still guaranteed to be freezing your ass off at some point on the walk to and from. So there is that.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2020, 07:42 AM   #91
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
Wow, I haven't done that walk in probably 15 years. That just took me back to being a little kid 25 years ago doing that walk with my dad in the crowds and freezing cold. Thanks!
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MrMike For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2020, 08:19 AM   #92
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
Wow, I haven't done that walk in probably 15 years. That just took me back to being a little kid 25 years ago doing that walk with my dad in the crowds and freezing cold. Thanks!
I have the same memory, but it includes drunk guys with hockey vuvuzelas blasting away in the tunnel of endless frozen suffering.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2020, 08:29 AM   #93
JBR
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fun part of the walk from the through the tunnel and Round Up Centre was the anticipation that someone finally found one or two of those missing Stampede posters.

+1 for preserving or recreating the neon cowboy in the new arena. Detroit did this at Little Caesars with old Olympia signs and historic elements etc.
JBR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JBR For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2020, 09:30 AM   #94
The Familia
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBR View Post
Fun part of the walk from the through the tunnel and Round Up Centre was the anticipation that someone finally found one or two of those missing Stampede posters.

+1 for preserving or recreating the neon cowboy in the new arena. Detroit did this at Little Caesars with old Olympia signs and historic elements etc.
I wonder if they will keep all the stampede posters and hang them in the new convention Center. Also, are they keeping the neon sign for sure? That would be amazing!
William Jennings Trophy - 2006
The Familia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 10:27 AM   #95
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not sure how much (if any) of the indoor walkway will be demolished (at least until the 17ave crossing is finished.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
powderjunkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 05:15 PM   #96
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

17th Ave will bend and not interfere with the existing BMO. The change to the LRT platform will remove that upper access and then it's a hallway to nowhere with the Corral gone. So I suspect that as part of the BMO expansion that area gets reworked.
Old 11-11-2020, 05:48 PM   #97
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

I'm super old so I have a lot of Corral memories.

Wranger games, Flames games for three years ... my dad was one of the original season ticket holders.

The malts were less cinnamony.
The Flames coming through the concourse.

The seats were so steep you could actually recognise people across the bowl from you. I remember having this massive crush on this girl in grade 7 and there she was across the Corral from me during a Wrangler game.

Years ago I took my daughter and three friends to some kids dance show thingy at the Corral, can't believe that was my exit story from the building!
Bingo is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2020, 07:15 PM   #98
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Got the privilege of choosing the three stars for the last Hitmen game at the Corral. I'll miss that old barn.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Freeway For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2020, 07:23 PM   #99
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
I'm super old so I have a lot of Corral memories.

Wranger games, Flames games for three years ... my dad was one of the original season ticket holders.

The malts were less cinnamony.
The Flames coming through the concourse.

The seats were so steep you could actually recognise people across the bowl from you. I remember having this massive crush on this girl in grade 7 and there she was across the Corral from me during a Wrangler game.

Years ago I took my daughter and three friends to some kids dance show thingy at the Corral, can't believe that was my exit story from the building!
I'm a bit older than you. For me it was first the Centennials junior games with stars like the line of Danny Gare, Mike Rodgers and Jerry Holland with John Davidson in goal. Then came the WHA Cowboys and all the aging players that left the NHL. Seeing the line of Bobby Hull, Ulf Nilsson and Anders Hedberg playing for the Winnipeg Jets.

The highlights were the 74 Memorial Cup won by the Regina Pats and the exhibition game between a Western Canadian Junior All Star team that played the WHA All stars, who would later play the Russians that year in an 8 game Summit Series. IIRC the juniors almost won it. Throw in the Wrigley Nationals where the best Midget teams in Canada played for the right to head over to Russia to play some games against their junior players.
Old 11-11-2020, 07:27 PM   #100
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Did anyone actually ever go to the Grain Academy?

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:

Tags
centennials , cowboys , e=ng way back when , edmonton is no good , edmonton still no good