Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 12:23 PM   #141
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
If the Sens buyout Ryan, I'd be interested on an Eric Staal-type deal.
The Senators are amongst the stingiest organizations in the league. There's no chance at all they would even consider buying out Ryan.
Old 01-08-2017, 12:23 PM   #142
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJetsGo View Post
Why would we do that when we're in the midst of a playoff hunt with Versteeg being a solid contributor?
Because he's a pending UFA and maybe we'll make the playoffs but it's pretty obvious this isn't our year. It's a tough decision but moving Versteeg for value is the right move.

If all they're offered is a 4th rounder then keep him for the drive, but if they're getting Glencross or Huder offers take them.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2017, 12:36 PM   #143
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJetsGo View Post
Why would we do that when we're in the midst of a playoff hunt with Versteeg being a solid contributor?
There are obvious long term holes in this team that need help from somewhere and being both attractive (RW, PP help, top 9 skilled guy) and affordable (low caphit, doesn't cost the moon to trade for) means there will be suitors whether the Flames are actively listening or not.
Not saying we should trade Versteeg or that I expect him to be gone by post trade deadline, but there is some merit to considering what Versteeg can give us the rest of this season versus what would be offered in return.
Old 01-08-2017, 12:36 PM   #144
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

If we're firmly in a playoff spot I just don't see it, unless it's a big over-payment (and in that case, there's a lot of players that could get moved).

Versteeg has been a huge element to the power play's success and seems like a big cog moving forward (with this season / post season if we make it).

If we're looking like a playoff team to end the year, I think that outweighs a draft pick (even if it's a 2nd) to have all these young players gain more post season experience.

Last edited by GoJetsGo; 01-08-2017 at 12:39 PM.
Old 01-08-2017, 12:41 PM   #145
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I think it would be foolish to trade Versteeg if we're in the hunt, especially with his considerable playoff experience and two Stanley Cup rings.

The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2017, 12:46 PM   #146
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Because he's a pending UFA and maybe we'll make the playoffs but it's pretty obvious this isn't our year. It's a tough decision but moving Versteeg for value is the right move.

If all they're offered is a 4th rounder then keep him for the drive, but if they're getting Glencross or Huder offers take them.
Yeah I think its pretty evident this team needs to continue to be looking to add draft picks and prospects as there are lots of holes on this roster and it's more than just a few players away from being a contender. I have no issue with them being sellers at the deadline even if they are in the playoff race.
Old 01-08-2017, 01:03 PM   #147
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

The myth of draft pick value continues!

Let's trade a contributing member of the team for picks if we are in the playoffs ! Makes total sense and sends a great message to the team
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jason14h For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2017, 01:06 PM   #148
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Yeah I think its pretty evident this team needs to continue to be looking to add draft picks and prospects as there are lots of holes on this roster and it's more than just a few players away from being a contender. I have no issue with them being sellers at the deadline even if they are in the playoff race.
More than just a few suggests a lot. How far do you honestly think we are from being a contender? When including our core getting older and better with each year I don't think we're "more than a few players away".

Plus when you factor in what our core is going to make we can't be more than a few players away anyways. If it takes a bunch more players to become a contender than we might as well start over right now because we won't make it.

Last edited by jayswin; 01-08-2017 at 01:08 PM.
Old 01-08-2017, 01:30 PM   #149
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If our young core players aren't playing better by the trade deadline, I'd be okay if Treliving contemplated trading some of our vets. I don't believe this team is going anywhere in this year's playoffs if Monahan and Gaudreau don't figure out how to be more effective in Gulutzan's system.
Old 01-08-2017, 01:35 PM   #150
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I think it would be foolish to trade Versteeg if we're in the hunt, especially with his considerable playoff experience and two Stanley Cup rings.
Not only that but I hope we re-sign him the second the expansion draft is done
Old 01-08-2017, 01:42 PM   #151
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have to agree that we don't sell Versteeg, regardless of the offer, unless there was an strategy that encourages playoffs and winning hockey games.

Selling for the sake of picks is not appropriate. Not unless the Flames crap the bed and are out of the mix come Feb 28th. However, if Treliving wants to pay for a rental and then sell some guys to afford that payment, I would be OK with that
Old 01-08-2017, 02:49 PM   #152
JTech780
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

This team has the 2nd most wins in the division, they should be looking to add not sell at the deadline. It's time for this core to start to gain playoff experience, and start learning what it takes to win in the post season. Let's give them every chance to succeed.

I don't mean sell the farm, but every pick outside the 1st in this draft which is on the weak side should be available in the right deal. Guys like Shinkaruk, Poirier, Wotherspoon, Kulak, should also be available as trade chips.
Old 01-08-2017, 04:44 PM   #153
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
More than just a few suggests a lot. How far do you honestly think we are from being a contender? When including our core getting older and better with each year I don't think we're "more than a few players away".

Plus when you factor in what our core is going to make we can't be more than a few players away anyways. If it takes a bunch more players to become a contender than we might as well start over right now because we won't make it.
I'm sorry but do you really think this team is a player or two away from being a cup contender? They aren't even close. We talk about needing a top 4 defenseman but the top 3 guys have never been what you would call stingy defensively. The fact that Alex Chiasson is on the top line tells you all you need to know about RW depth and the goaltending position is anything but consistent. This team's strength is really it's bottom 6 forwards and mobile defence core otherwise they have a lot of holes.
Old 01-08-2017, 04:49 PM   #154
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I'm sorry but do you really think this team is a player or two away from being a cup contender? They aren't even close. We talk about needing a top 4 defenseman but the top 3 guys have never been what you would call stingy defensively. The fact that Alex Chiasson is on the top line tells you all you need to know about RW depth and the goaltending position is anything but consistent. This team's strength is really it's bottom 6 forwards and mobile defence core otherwise they have a lot of holes.
And those holes will also be filled up in part as our current younger players grow and develop, which happens by having successful seasons and making the playoffs.... even if they don't happen to go all the way.

The notion that it's cup finals or no point is a really puzzling one.
Old 01-08-2017, 04:52 PM   #155
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I think its a matter of development of what the team has and a matter of a couple years. I think in 2 years we will know if the rebuild was a sucess or if we are looking at having to make major adjustments.

My #1 concern for the team is between the pipes. Until we can get a solid #1 the team will always be iffy.
Old 01-08-2017, 05:07 PM   #156
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Please provide examples of championship teams being built by trading away productive players at the deadline every year until such time as the team is a guaranteed Stanley Cup contender. I can't think of any. Not sure you build a championship team by gutting your team every deadline. If you believe that is the right approach, you have to be furious the Flames gave up a second round pick for a goalie with 1 year left on his deal in the offseason.

IMO if you believe you have a developing team you want into the playoffs where you can do some damage.
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2017, 05:13 PM   #157
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

It is also conceivable to both buy and sell at the deadline. Like when the Panthers traded two players for 2nd/3rd round picks (Bergenheim and some other guy) and then traded their 2nd and 3rd for Jagr.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Old 01-08-2017, 05:59 PM   #158
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
It is also conceivable to both buy and sell at the deadline. Like when the Panthers traded two players for 2nd/3rd round picks (Bergenheim and some other guy) and then traded their 2nd and 3rd for Jagr.
Or just sell and still make the second round of the playoffs like the Flames did when they traded Glencross.
Old 01-08-2017, 06:08 PM   #159
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

Difference is that when the Flames traded Glencross, he was not making the team better when in the lineup. He was completely disposable. Versteeg right now is a valuable top 9 player and has made the team better when healthy. That's a really tough thing to justify selling in the middle of a run.
Old 01-08-2017, 06:26 PM   #160
Iniggywetrust
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I think we're probably at a point now where we aren't sellers or buyers at this deadline. We're going to be battling for a spot all year long but with the age of our core, the pieces coming up, we need to make it, gain some more down the stretch and playoff experience. Then in the summer, pick up a strong RW depth and be a stronger contender next season.