Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-27-2021, 02:13 PM   #1
droopydrew19
Safari Stan

Exp:
Default Is the Top line RW already there?

On the radio pregame today I heard Loubo Talk about how Lindholm is our best Center but he is also our best right winner.

That got me to thinking why couldn’t Monahan be our best right winger?

He’s a left-handed shot. Snipers like Ovechkin play their off wing. I know even Johnny has played his off wing every time he has gone to the world championships with team USA.

You look in the past on team Canada rosters and it is made up of a Dozen Centers. Many of them move to the wing. So why have we never tried Monahan on the wing?

If center is supposed to be the most difficult Forward position And we have a very capable one in Elias then why aren’t we giving Monahan the easy lifting on the wing?
droopydrew19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 02:18 PM   #2
pepper24
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Bennett line can get to playoff form it’s worth a try. Same top 9 as today but switch Lindholm to center. Intriguing.
pepper24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 02:23 PM   #3
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has Monahan ever played anywhere but at center though? I know Lindholm played all three forward positions going all the way to before his draft year. You know, the whole teaching an old dog new tricks thing.
Old 02-27-2021, 02:25 PM   #4
shadowlord
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper24 View Post
If Bennett line can get to playoff form it’s worth a try. Same top 9 as today but switch Lindholm to center. Intriguing.
Definitely have seen some glimpses of the Bennett line showing up this season. I remember there was a game against the Canucks where we were down 2-0, and near the end of the first period, a dominant shift by them (which led to a Lucic goal) sparked the team to a comeback.
shadowlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 02:27 PM   #5
Macindoc
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yes. His name is Lindholm.
Macindoc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Macindoc For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2021, 02:29 PM   #6
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Has Monahan ever played anywhere but at center though?
I doubt it, but most wingers did play center (or even defense) in Junior and were converted to wingers as rookies, so I don't really think an NHL vet would have any trouble adapting, if his game is suited to the wing. And given that Monahan's big frame and propensity to pass rather than skate with the puck makes him better along the boards than anywhere else, I think he'd adapt pretty well.

Who knows though. Doubt we'd ever see it... for whatever reason - maybe the coaches don't want Monahan to feel slighted, I dunno.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 02:59 PM   #7
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macindoc View Post
Yes. His name is Lindholm.
Moving the best centre on the roster to wing is on brand for this team.
Old 02-27-2021, 03:13 PM   #8
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
A great coach once made his best forward play defense. ....OK......understand?
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 03:15 PM   #9
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well WTF do you guys want? Overall team success or a player playing a position that hasn't developed into team success?

Seriously everybody, if something works just take it and be happy. It works, Lindy at C didn't (for the rest of the fw group).

Lindholm is gonna be great regardless of where he plays. But if him at RW translates to everybody else having team success then it has to be that way.

Settle into the reality that nothing is going to change this season regarding the coach, roster and managers. Then accept the the best way to get wins is having Lindholm at RW so the rest of the forwards can find some success.

Or, you know, whatever and continue to find new and exciting ways to complain about things as we go.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2021, 03:17 PM   #10
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Has Monahan ever played anywhere but at center though? I know Lindholm played all three forward positions going all the way to before his draft year. You know, the whole teaching an old dog new tricks thing.
He spent his fair share of time on LW with Backlund in his rookie year. I don't think the entire year though.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 03:18 PM   #11
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVERLAST View Post
A great coach once made his best forward play defense. ....OK......understand?
And that has what to do with moving the best centre on the team to a less valuable position so a less effective centre can stay in the middle.
Old 02-27-2021, 04:56 PM   #12
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

With them moving to one line, instead of moving Monahan to RW, you’d trade him for a RW and move Lindholm to C.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 05:24 PM   #13
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:

The coach should target the best mix of 12.

Sometimes if you have 6 centres and 2 top line wingers, decisions have to be made.

If moving 1 guy makes 3 or 4 others play better, and he still does a good job, that’s a good thing

There have been many posts and threads about it
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 05:28 PM   #14
Bourque's Twin
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don’t think so but if the Flames could get Neal or Chiasson they’d be stealing the Oilers top RWer.
Bourque's Twin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 05:37 PM   #15
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
The coach should target the best mix of 12.

Sometimes if you have 6 centres and 2 top line wingers, decisions have to be made.

If moving 1 guy makes 3 or 4 others play better, and he still does a good job, that’s a good thing

There have been many posts and threads about it
Kicking the best centre in the roster to the wing is the wrong decision 1000 out of 1000 times.

Punt someone else.
Old 02-27-2021, 05:58 PM   #16
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
And that has what to do with moving the best centre on the team to a less valuable position so a less effective centre can stay in the middle.
The evidence that Lindholm is the best centre on the team is pretty limited. He didn’t stick at that position in Carolina and it’s been less than a long look here. People can assume that, and maybe they’re right, but it’s still a big assumption based on 20 or so games between Tkachuk and Mangiapane or Dube. And Monahan’s performance has to be tempered by the fact he’s had no RW of even Mangiapane or Dube quality.

The best option right now is what they did yesterday. I still think it makes them easy to defend against better teams who can focus on one line. That said, I never thought Lindholm and Tkachuk looked like they had great chemistry. So it’s not the loss I would have predicted.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2021, 06:07 PM   #17
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
The evidence that Lindholm is the best centre on the team is pretty limited. He didn’t stick at that position in Carolina and it’s been less than a long look here. People can assume that, and maybe they’re right, but it’s still a big assumption based on 20 or so games between Tkachuk and Mangiapane or Dube. And Monahan’s performance has to be tempered by the fact he’s had no RW of even Mangiapane or Dube quality.

The best option right now is what they did yesterday. I still think it makes them easy to defend against better teams who can focus on one line. That said, I never thought Lindholm and Tkachuk looked like they had great chemistry. So it’s not the loss I would have predicted.
If it exists at all.

I can't think of one single game where Lindholm's line was dominant. In fact, I found them mostly invisible for the entirety of the 20 games
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2021, 07:02 PM   #18
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
If it exists at all.

I can't think of one single game where Lindholm's line was dominant. In fact, I found them mostly invisible for the entirety of the 20 games
I don't think the difference was gargantuan or anything, but Lindholm definitely looked like the best center on the team. Played the tougher matchups and the tougher situations and his line still came out on the positive end most nights. That's on top of playing with a struggling Tkachuk who might have been playing the worst hockey of his career whereas Gaudreau on the other hand was just fine.

For the record though, I still prefer the line up we saw today. If Lindholm needs to play on the RW for this team to be successful, then so be it.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Classic_Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2021, 07:08 PM   #19
GG51
Draft Pick

The result speaks. Lindholm could only be the best center if the team success when he centers the first line, with Mony and Backlund as the 2nd and 3rd center.

People need to accept the reality, doesn’t matter if Mony is a 1st line center, he is the best center for this team. With him out for two games, the team have been blown up many times on both the ice and CP. Also 13 decides the first line.

The coach messed the lines is just ridiculous, I think he wants to cheat on the ice, creating 2 first lines which the team don’t have enough 1st liners to support.

Another reality, the 13 23 28 line might not work in some games, or in playoffs. That’s because the team were outplayed. This is still the best 1st line this team could have.
GG51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 07:10 PM   #20
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
I don't think the difference was gargantuan or anything, but Lindholm definitely looked like the best center on the team. Played the tougher matchups and the tougher situations and his line still came out on the positive end most nights. That's on top of playing with a struggling Tkachuk who might have been playing the worst hockey of his career whereas Gaudreau on the other hand was just fine.

For the record though, I still prefer the line up we saw today. If Lindholm needs to play on the RW for this team to be successful, then so be it.
I just don’t think a game against a weak D and goaltending is the acid test. And that line scored one goal on a giveaway IIRC. I’m fine with giving it a try. But against teams with two offensive lines like Toronto and Winnipeg, I’m pretty nervous. When Ryan comes back maybe that helps the depth.