Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-22-2021, 10:41 PM   #1
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:
Default What's your CP Timeline?

I have just been thinking about the time I have spent on this forum lately. I wouldn't say I am a prolific poster by any means, but I am coming up to 15 years of being a member of this forum, which is pretty crazy.

As nerdy as is it is to spend time on an internet forum I do really enjoy perusing the discussions on this board, they are (for internet standards) mostly respectful, sometimes funny, sometimes interesting and there is a genuine sense of community on this board, places like the Jobseekers thread comes to mind.

I was just thinking about my CP timeline. I definitely started out, probably like most, strictly a Fire On Ice guy, never ventured into other the Off Topic or the Tech forum for years and years, thought those that did were weird. Then transitioned into spending a bit more time in 'The Back Burner' zone. Now I basically spend almost no time in the FOI or the Back Burner and mostly I am hanging out in the Off Topic Forum, mostly reading various posters political views in the US/Canadian/Alberta politics threads, sometimes the Video Games area, or talking about the Jays in the Other Sports section.

Anyways this probably a lame idea for a thread but was kinda curious if most people are here strictly to talk Flames and Flames only or are all over the map like me now.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 10:26 AM   #2
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

95% Offtopic, 4% Covid, 1% who knows?
lurked for a couple years, started posting about a year back
brings back memories of the old dial-up boards I used in the 90's: simplistic, fun, entertaining, angsty, cathartic, anonymous'ish, and supportive too.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2021, 11:24 AM   #3
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

My history is quite similar. Lurked for a while and then read/posted on FOI almost exclusively. Really didn’t even enter Off Topic, but now it is probably where I spend 80% of my CP time. Partly because the FOI discussion often degrades to name calling and piling on, and partly because I couldn’t keep my eyes off the train wreck Trump/US politics threads. Will be interesting to see how things shake out with hopefully a more normal political situation and a more positive year for the Flames.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fighting Banana Slug For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2021, 11:31 AM   #4
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I swear that I came across Calgarypuck probably using a search engine that doesn't exist anymore. At the time, I think Sportsnet had a comments section, and there was Fanhome, and maybe Hockey news.

I originally joined for the hockey because I was a much bigger fan back then. But the off topic stuff drew me in as well.

Except for a multimonth self imposed ban, I've been here forever.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2021, 01:35 PM   #5
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I swear that I came across Calgarypuck probably using a search engine that doesn't exist anymore. At the time, I think Sportsnet had a comments section, and there was Fanhome, and maybe Hockey news.

I originally joined for the hockey because I was a much bigger fan back then. But the off topic stuff drew me in as well.

Except for a multimonth self imposed ban, I've been here forever.
'Ask Jeeves' or Altavista?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 01:51 PM   #6
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Altavista comes to mind, I remember you had to download their toolbar for your browser.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2021, 01:57 PM   #7
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyways, for me it was a couple years into University. Growing up I had my group of friends who were all Flames fans and we'd watch the games as we could, but as we got older people moved to go to school all over the place and I found myself not being able to talk about the Flames as often.

Then someone in University, I'm sure someone on here, I apologize if I cant remember exactly, put me on to CP.

And my life has spiralled into a Hell previously unknown ever since.

I kid, I kid. I liked being at the Heckle, I've always enjoyed the drafts prior to the COVID and Murder Hornet infestation, being involved with all the amazing people bringing Petr over was a huge highlight for me.

I've met a lot of great people on this site.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2021, 02:06 PM   #8
Calgary Highlander
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I was on HFBoards back in 2007 and discovered CalgaryPuck through some of the discussion there. I enjoyed the discussion here a little better, both FOI and off topic so mostly checked in here for Flames content. Over the years I've become a little less interested in the Flames so I do lurk more on the OT forums.

I almost never post but check CP multiple times throughout the day. I enjoy the format of the site similar to Richie Rich. Everyone is anonymous, content is determined by what people are talking about and not algorithms, etc, classic 2000s internet message board setup.
Calgary Highlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 02:08 PM   #9
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

I originally signed up for the Flames and hockey talk way back in the day, but these days I probably spend 90% of my CP time in the off-topic forums.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 02:10 PM   #10
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

This is the guy that introduced me to CP 20 years ago in university: https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=160167

When I finally decided to sign up, my first post was a Fata. Things have come a long ways from the days of the Teen Groupie Squad.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2021, 02:40 PM   #11
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

I started discussing the Flames online at the boards on flames.com or something like that and found CP from there some time in the early 2000's. I do remember the changeover from the old board to the new CP, but I don't think I was around more than a year or two before that. The discussions on here just seemed more mature and knowledgeable than the other board, and that won me over despite feeling a bit intimidated by some of the discussion when I first joined.

My engagement has waxed and waned over the years, and it has shifted dramatically from being hockey centered towards time spent on the OT forum. In the many years overseas, this board has been like a steady connection back to Canada that has outlasted many of the friendships I left behind.

It's a legitimately good community on here. In some ways, I feel like this is more what the internet was supposed to be.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JohnnyB For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2021, 02:49 PM   #12
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Ya I'd say here on the OT forum you'll get a lot of the same story.

Came as a flames fan, conversation was great on OT, really only go to FOI on game days now.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 02:58 PM   #13
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Lurked for a few years in FOI for hockey stuffs. Have no friends out here so started browsing OT for some casual local interaction. Kind of use OT as I would banter with people who used to always be around.

Probs 85% OT, FOI and COViD 10% and 5% starring aimlessly.
Old 01-23-2021, 03:02 PM   #14
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

I started on the Flames.com boards as well (not being much for internet chat forums, I didn't know any better).

CP and hfboards would get mentioned there, so I checked them both out. hfboards was deplorable (worse than flames.com IMO). CP was better, and I liked that there was so much more discussion (a thread on flames.com would have 20 posts and the same thread on CP would have 200), so I started reading CP more and more, as a lurker.

However, this was 2010-2012 and it seemed like every other thread turned into a fight about Iginla, and all the people that wanted him traded would thank each other's posts, while all the people that didn't, would thank those posts. Really annoying.

Then the lockout came in 2012. And that is when I first saw how much better CP was, with so much more insight and in-depth discussion, on every topic that wasn't Iginla.

Haven't looked back.

Took me a while to discover the off-topic forum, and I don't go there a lot (too time consuming). But when there is something going on that I want to read about, that is the first place I go.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 03:05 PM   #15
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I was actually looking for a different CP, ended up here, never left.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 03:26 PM   #16
FlamingHomer
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

For years I was one of the few non-Leaf fans on Hockeytraderumors which was getting old. I stumbled onto CP and couldn't believe the quality of topics and posters. It still has to be one of the (usually) classiest team forums around. Most others make you blush for the language and general stupidity.
Old 01-23-2021, 04:57 PM   #17
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

As I recall I came here based on some CP related comment by Eric Francis, so I wanted to understand what he was talking about.

A year or two later my boy and Bingo jr played hockey together and I have coached with Bingo a few times - of course those were the good old days when kids played.....
Old 01-23-2021, 05:02 PM   #18
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

I've seen a million faces
And I've rocked them all
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2021, 05:28 PM   #19
Sluggo
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I myself have one of the more nerdier origin stories as I was exposed to CP through the SSP Calgary forums. Was a lurker on both for years before making accounts and still mostly lurk unless I need a social outlet as I prefer face to face interactions over prose.

Anyone else come off a long hiatus on here because of Covid?
Sluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sluggo For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2021, 05:37 PM   #20
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

I spend more time on CP than I do talking to my wife.

Don’t tell my wife.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Tron_fdc For This Useful Post: