Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-15-2021, 09:57 PM   #1
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:
Default WandaVision (spoilers thread)

I thought I would start this up, especially after watching the two episodes and really liking it a lot.

Some of you know, I like writing things about series that really grab me. Agents of Shield, Battlestar Galactica, etc. This one caught me because off of the start its so different and unique. I've placed this in spoilers because there's some speculation in here.

Spoiler!

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 10:02 PM   #2
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

The Comics to Read Before 'WandaVision
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...re-wandavision

Understand the Sorrow at the Heart of 'WandaVision' With These Comics
https://filmschoolrejects.com/wandavision-comic-books/
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2021, 10:42 PM   #3
hixxes
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Really enjoyed those two episodes. The first was based on 50’s sitcoms, the second was early 60’s. They did a wonderful job replicating the feel of the eras with the acting, sets, costumes, and even tone of the black and white.
To be shot down in Flames!

hixxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 10:46 PM   #4
hixxes
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I should add that my 10yr old isn’t so sure about the show. Of course the nods to old timey tv are completely lost on him.
To be shot down in Flames!

hixxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 11:49 PM   #5
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really enjoyed it to start. Not quite enough weirdness for me yet. The performances are strong all around.

Who do we think the voice on the radio is? Sounded a bit like Hawkeye to me at the end, but I don't think so.

I think Wanda is in a self-exile, living a version of life where Vision is still alive and people are trying to break in. Shes going to bring Vision back into the real world.

Last edited by Coach; 01-15-2021 at 11:52 PM.
Coach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 12:45 AM   #6
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Posted a reply in the other thread, but moving it here.

It's kind of a funny show, because they are clearly riffing of weekly serial sitcoms through the ages, but I'm not certain the episodes will hold up on their own, as sitcom episodes are usually designed to do.

I'm going remain pretty optimistic it can hit Marvels high standards, and these two episodes just had to do some heavy lifting on the world/relationship building. So far it's missing that narrative action, aside from the excessively direct foreshadowing, I think once our characters really start to feel the sense of mystery or action or threat along with us, the pace will pickup, it seems clear the bee keeper was the first step in that direction.

I'm also thinking there is some Awareness/Self Denialism going on with Wanda. The rewinding clearly shows she is hiding from something she doesn't want to face, and has some level of control over this world.

I'm hoping one of the more interesting mysteries become weather of not this is Visions consciousness trapped somewhere, or a simulation of Vision being generated somehow. I think there is space for a key plot conflict there.

What's with the 7 minute long credits for a TV show? There giving every episode feature film credit treatment. I fast forwarded through them in case they were pulling an MCU on us, with a joke at the end. They aren't
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to #-3 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2021, 09:03 AM   #7
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hixxes View Post
Really enjoyed those two episodes. The first was based on 50’s sitcoms, the second was early 60’s. They did a wonderful job replicating the feel of the eras with the acting, sets, costumes, and even tone of the black and white.
Guesses for subsequent homages? 70s, maybe All in the Family? 80s, Family Ties? Should be interesting to see.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 09:39 AM   #8
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post

What's with the 7 minute long credits for a TV show? There giving every episode feature film credit treatment. I fast forwarded through them in case they were pulling an MCU on us, with a joke at the end. They aren't
Yeah I saw the 5 min left on the credits and I was like “oh must be an after credits thing.” Nope. Just giving love to all the different voice translations it seems.
Old 01-16-2021, 09:48 AM   #9
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
Guesses for subsequent homages? 70s, maybe All in the Family? 80s, Family Ties? Should be interesting to see.
Based on the trailer, the 70s looks like the Brady Bunch. There were a lot of similar family sitcoms in the 80s that they could pay homage to, but Family Ties would be a good one.

For the 90s, most of the big sitcoms weren't oriented around a married couple -- like Friends, Seinfeld, and Frasier. Full House would be funny because of Olsen, but it didn't really have a prominent woman until the later seasons. Maybe they could do something like Mad About You. An animated episode in the Simpsons style would be interesting too.

Maybe Everybody Loves Raymond or King of Queens for the late-90s/early 2000s.

For the 2010s, it will likely be Modern Family style.
Old 01-16-2021, 11:51 AM   #10
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I wonder

Spoiler!

Old 01-16-2021, 12:37 PM   #11
CaptainReboot
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I quite enjoyed both episodes. My wife not so much, although she did say the ending of the 2nd episode was better.

I did have a few laughs at the exaggerated acting and the cheesy dialogue. Curious to see how this ties into the new Doctor Strange.
CaptainReboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 12:40 PM   #12
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Watched them both last night. Pretty boring, but I'll keep up with it to see if it develops.
TSXCman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 12:46 PM   #13
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

IMDB has a picture up for Episode 5, and it looks early to mid 80s. I'm not sure we will get a clean decade by decade string. I think it will be more a riffing of a couple sitcoms of a specific archetype, then moving forward in time.

EP1 was I Love Lucy / Dick Van Dyke ~'51-'62
EP2 was Bewitched / Dream of Jeannie ~'65-'72

So we have 2.5 - 3 episodes to travel 10 to 15 years coming up.

I also think there might be a strong desire to go to family sit coms that had a bit of magic in them, because it obviously fits the characters well, as we saw in the 60s inspiration they went with. First example I can think of for Ep 6 or 7 is going to something like the Urkel Transformation Chamber.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I wonder

Spoiler!
Spoiler!

Last edited by #-3; 01-16-2021 at 12:55 PM.
Old 01-16-2021, 01:43 PM   #14
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Based on the trailer, the 70s looks like the Brady Bunch. There were a lot of similar family sitcoms in the 80s that they could pay homage to, but Family Ties would be a good one.

For the 90s, most of the big sitcoms weren't oriented around a married couple -- like Friends, Seinfeld, and Frasier. Full House would be funny because of Olsen, but it didn't really have a prominent woman until the later seasons. Maybe they could do something like Mad About You. An animated episode in the Simpsons style would be interesting too.

Maybe Everybody Loves Raymond or King of Queens for the late-90s/early 2000s.

For the 2010s, it will likely be Modern Family style.
I think the 90's is looking like a Rosanne sort of style. Wouldn't be surprised to see the intro be the spinning camera in the middle of the table.

Spoiler!

Also I'll admit when I saw Debra Jo Rupp I wished they had cast Kurtwood Smith as her husband.
Old 01-16-2021, 04:44 PM   #15
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
IMDB has a picture up for Episode 5, and it looks early to mid 80s. I'm not sure we will get a clean decade by decade string. I think it will be more a riffing of a couple sitcoms of a specific archetype, then moving forward in time.

EP1 was I Love Lucy / Dick Van Dyke ~'51-'62
EP2 was Bewitched / Dream of Jeannie ~'65-'72

So we have 2.5 - 3 episodes to travel 10 to 15 years coming up.

I also think there might be a strong desire to go to family sit coms that had a bit of magic in them, because it obviously fits the characters well, as we saw in the 60s inspiration they went with. First example I can think of for Ep 6 or 7 is going to something like the Urkel Transformation Chamber.

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Old 01-16-2021, 06:23 PM   #16
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Spoiler!
I took the commercials a jokes, not as plot devices. But I could be wrong.

I thought it was confirmed to take place shortly before the forthcoming multiverse of madness. Which I think puts it after all of the existing movies.
Old 01-16-2021, 07:08 PM   #17
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Very slow start and the campiness isn't as charming as I had hoped, but I'm still in for the long haul. Marvel hasn't really ever let me down.

And yes, the series is set after the events of Endgame.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 08:02 PM   #18
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
I took the commercials a jokes, not as plot devices. But I could be wrong.

I thought it was confirmed to take place shortly before the forthcoming multiverse of madness. Which I think puts it after all of the existing movies.

I don't know if I can take the commercials as jokes, just because of the easter eggs in there, and the terrifying sense of doom with the Stark toaster and the countdown buzzer.

Old 01-16-2021, 09:03 PM   #19
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah the oddness of the toaster beep and the the Strucker/Hydra watch cant be ignored.
Old 01-16-2021, 10:41 PM   #20
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
Who do we think the voice on the radio is? Sounded a bit like Hawkeye to me at the end, but I don't think so.

Read an article that suggests that the voice is
Spoiler!

The article is in the Atlantic, but contains spoilers for episode 3, since critics have seen it already.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote