Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2021, 05:05 PM   #6281
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PegCityFlamesFan View Post
Winnipeg is a small town city. The winters suck for weather and there are no mountains outside of driving down to the states. Lots of outdoor recreation for snowmobiles and ice fishing which doesn't appeal to people who aren't used to it.

Summers are great with lots of lakes and cabin country close by but that means jack squat to any athlete. Its also crappy to travel anywhere major from here usually needing to fly to Toronto, Montreal or Vancouver.
Let’s add that driving ANYWHERE in Winnipeg sucks due to the traffic. I have fond memories of trying to find a road to drive on that wasn’t full of potholes or felt like driving on a concrete washboard... thump , thump, thump... Great place to grow up in the 50’s - 70’s. If my kids weren’t stuck there in Government jobs I’d never go back.
Old 01-22-2021, 06:04 PM   #6282
Psytic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg13 View Post
I'm sorry but 3 years of hard work by Dubois out weighs one horrible lazy shift. We've seen lazy stuff from Ovechkin and i'm sure you'd all gladly have him as a Flame.

PLD is clearly available and has PPG #1C potential written all over him. We should absolutely be inquiring. No, that does not mean sell the farm but this team needs a shake up. Don't forget what happened to us this past summer just because we're off to a decent start this season. Only 3 years into his career he's a proven playoff performer.

Put me on board
One is damn near the greatest goal scorer of all time and has earned the right, the other is a mystery box, bird in the trees and all that. Unless we get him while keeping Monahan its a pass from me. This isnt Crosby or Malkin we are talking about. Hes barely shown to be as good as Money at this point with a worse attitude. Id do Zary, Pelletier and a first or sub out a prospect for Hanafin but im not trading Money. A guy who does everything we ask and is good for 25-30 goals no bs drama attached.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Psytic For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2021, 06:55 PM   #6283
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
Fair enough I apologize and I share your sentiments about the board and I should not contribute to that. I find myself posting less and being interested less as well. Sorry man, just thought that proposal was insane and yeah your second one taking Hanifin out makes a bit more sense.

Honestly I think Calgary needs to understand if he’d be happy here before going and unloading to get him. Not worth the price if he’s going to come over and pout and quit on plays like he did tonight.

And I think the PLD hype on this site is also insane for what it’s worth. I’m usually first in line for the bash Monahan train but the Monahan and a first stuff was ludicrous to me. They’re pretty close with PLD having a touch more upside but this is not the next Eric Lindros. This is not a 100 pt player or even a 90 pt player I don’t think. Maybe he can reach around that 70-85 range realistically. So what is he really worth? Understanding it’s not all points and we could use his grit and size in the playoffs, you can’t afford to be continually giving up all these high end picks year over year for decades and expect different results as a franchise.
Totally agree with everything here; I’m thinking more and more PLD is a tad bit overhyped for what I’m trying to figure out what he’ll cost. I think Monahan is criminally underrated as well and dread the thought of dealing him in a package for PLD which is why I came to the Hanifin + Dube + futures/prospects combo that honestly is far too rich for sure.

Trading for disgruntled players is always a freaky thing to consider and it makes quite a bit of sense that two of them in Laine/PLD are rumoured to be swapping rinks.

No apologies necessary too man I over-reacted a bit too and I appreciate your response here! Have a grand weekend my friend!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Heavy Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2021, 09:22 AM   #6284
Pickle Juice
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Now what?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pickle Juice For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2021, 09:27 AM   #6285
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

We watch hockey.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2021, 09:28 AM   #6286
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Alex Ovechkin??

Here is a list of upcoming FAs: https://www.capfriendly.com/browse/free-agents
Old 01-23-2021, 11:44 AM   #6287
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thoughts on Rakell? goal scoring winger that would be a lot cheaper than Laine.
Old 01-23-2021, 12:14 PM   #6288
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Rakell on a line with Johnny and Monny would be nice, but you're going to have to subtract from somewhere else to get him. Might be better off waiting for the deadline and just adding a UFA. I feel hesitant tinkering with the line up at this point. Run with these guys and see how they do. Hopefully they stay consistent and you make an add at the deadline that doesn't cost a lot or disrupt the team. I really like the depth we have on 3 lines now with the pairs.
Old 01-23-2021, 01:57 PM   #6289
Pickle Juice
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
Is there a rumour he might be available ?
Old 01-23-2021, 02:09 PM   #6290
The Original FFIV
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickle Juice View Post
Now what?
Have to wonder if some of the names that were bandied about could lead to some more deals. Lots of teams wanted Dubois, could some of those pieces start moving now that Dubois situation is settled?

Names like kotkaniemi - could Montreal move a piece like him for more immediate help?

With all the teams that were involved, has to be a large number of players available for the right price and return. Not expecting dominos, but I’m sure more conversations are being held.
Old 01-23-2021, 02:36 PM   #6291
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickle Juice View Post
Is there a rumour he might be available ?
1 win in their first 5 games and likely missing the playoffs. 2 years left on his deal. I'd imagine they would entertain trading him.
Old 01-23-2021, 04:56 PM   #6292
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
No thanks unless it’s cheap. I’m not sold on Mony and Johnny come playoff time. Don’t want to spend big assets until we know if they have to stay or go. I wouldn’t have minded overpaying for a center like PLD right now, but I don’t want to spend assets on a 2nd line winger. If we need to acquire a top line center this off season we will need every asset possible to acquire it.
Old 01-24-2021, 09:16 AM   #6293
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:
Icon33 Montreal Canadiens Made INSANE Offer For Pierre-Luc Dubois

Quote:
The Canadiens reportedly put Joel Armia, Jesperi Kotkaniemi, and Ryan Poehling on the table, along with a selection of picks. The Blue Jackets wanted Nick Suzuki or Phillip Danault, but Marc Bergevin would not even consider it.
https://www.nhltraderumors.me/2021/0...ane-offer.html
Old 01-24-2021, 09:24 AM   #6294
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

Columbus could have had 2 Finns instead of 1. That Habs offer looks like a fantasy league trade where you know another GM likes team x so you offer him your b players from that team in hopes he jumps.

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
The Following User Says Thank You to FurnaceFace For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2021, 09:27 AM   #6295
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah no one in that deal has Laines talent
Old 01-24-2021, 09:33 AM   #6296
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Danault is an almost 28 year old pending UFA who has a career high of 53 points. If you're not willing to trade him for Dubois, then you were never really in the picture.

I understand he's good defensively, but he's in a different tier.

And offering Armia and Poehling is just insulting. But with that said, I understand not wanting to trade Suzuki.
Old 01-24-2021, 09:38 AM   #6297
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wonder if we will hear rumours of what Calgary offered?
The Following User Says Thank You to kyuss275 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2021, 09:40 AM   #6298
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
Danault is an almost 28 year old pending UFA who has a career high of 53 points. If you're not willing to trade him for Dubois, then you were never really in the picture.

I understand he's good defensively, but he's in a different tier.

And offering Armia and Poehling is just insulting. But with that said, I understand not wanting to trade Suzuki.
Agreed Suzuki is looking like he good be a real good 2nd line forward. I’ve always like Danault too.

and I also agree with Jiri that Laine and Roslovic are a better package anyway so makes sense.
Old 01-24-2021, 12:23 PM   #6299
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
Wonder if we will hear rumours of what Calgary offered?
I've been wondering this as well. Outside of CP speculation of Monahan being the trading chip, has anyone outside of CP mentioned him?

Surely Treliving wouldn't have considered dismantling our defense, so I don't imagine all the speculation on these boards about Hanifin would be true.

I'm genuinely curious to see who Treliving considered expendable.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
Old 01-24-2021, 12:29 PM   #6300
the-rasta-masta
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre "Monster" McGuire View Post
I've been wondering this as well. Outside of CP speculation of Monahan being the trading chip, has anyone outside of CP mentioned him?

Surely Treliving wouldn't have considered dismantling our defense, so I don't imagine all the speculation on these boards about Hanifin would be true.

I'm genuinely curious to see who Treliving considered expendable.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
I hope we never find out. It certainly makes a GMs job harder when players find out that they were offered up in a trade. Take Brodie for example, he even mentioned the nixed Kadri trade when he signed in Toronto.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to the-rasta-masta For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread