Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2020, 10:34 PM   #1121
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesrule_kipper34 View Post
Just as a head's up I tried SurfShark as it had a wicked ~$2/month USD fee and 30 day satisfaction guarantee. Apparently expires in 3 hours: https://surfshark.com/deals?coupon=s...xoC0FIQAvD_BwE

Works for Hulu, Netflix and HBO Max. Depending on if you're using the browser or app you need to tweak some settings but works perfectly for me. I had issues with casting but if you're willing to use a hotspot or your router supports a router based VPN you can also get that to work.

Just in case anyone is looking for a well priced VPN (they also have great non-US VPN servers for Netflix).
Just be prepared to lose access to Hulu and other American streaming providers on a somewhat regular basis. VPN providers are always in a cat-and-mouse game with streaming, they roll out new blocks of IPs to get around blocks but then Hulu and others see hundreds of connections coming from the same block and ban it. The only way to get guaranteed access to American streams is if your VPN provider has a dedicated IP option
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2020, 11:44 PM   #1122
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
. I use TorGuard and haven't had any issues with Hulu for the past year now

Looking at their website, do you just have the cheap VPN option or the streaming one, since you use it for streaming shows?
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 11:57 PM   #1123
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I noticed that NordVPN is being advertised again for region switching on Netflix, so I re-subscribed to try it out. Netflix allowed it, but made me reset my password after switching back to Canada. Not sure if I should expect that each time. Could be annoying.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 01:15 AM   #1124
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ped View Post
Looking at their website, do you just have the cheap VPN option or the streaming one, since you use it for streaming shows?
The streaming bundle gives you two static IPs, which can give you access to both American shows and another country like the UK. Or you could get 2x American IPs to use if you have multiple people using it at the same time. For me I just bought the standard VPN service and added a single static IP addon, it's a bit cheaper and I only needed one

Also use the code TGLifetime50 for 50% off
Ped
Old 12-24-2020, 08:47 AM   #1125
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Just as a head's up I tried SurfShark as it had a wicked ~$2/month USD fee and 30 day satisfaction guarantee. Apparently expires in 3 hours: https://surfshark.com/deals?coupon=s...xoC0FIQAvD_BwE

Works for Hulu, Netflix and HBO Max. Depending on if you're using the browser or app you need to tweak some settings but works perfectly for me. I had issues with casting but if you're willing to use a hotspot or your router supports a router based VPN you can also get that to work.

Just in case anyone is looking for a well priced VPN (they also have great non-US VPN servers for Netflix).
I have used Surfshark for a couple years and am very pleased with it. It will almost never work with Hulu, Netflix, etc though, like all similar won't. You will need to use something as described above to work consistently.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 10:21 AM   #1126
flamesrule_kipper34
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
I have used Surfshark for a couple years and am very pleased with it. It will almost never work with Hulu, Netflix, etc though, like all similar won't. You will need to use something as described above to work consistently.
Do you mean it won't work consistently?

I've been using it for 3 weeks and so far works for all.

I think to your and HC's point time will tell for consistency.

That being said I have a work VPN with a dedicated IP that will always work for all via a browser but wanted options for the streaming services on an app and Firestick, hence Surfing Shark.
flamesrule_kipper34 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flamesrule_kipper34 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2020, 11:06 AM   #1127
jeep991
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:

That being said I have a work VPN with a dedicated IP that will always work for all via a browser but wanted options for the streaming services on an app and Firestick, hence Surfing Shark.

I've gotten Surfshark working with Hulu, Disney+ and ESPN+ streaming on the TV so far (3 weeks). CBS All Access US is working on my laptop browser but not on the TV yet, not sure why. It took a long time to figure out all the settings and locations so hopefully nothing happens to screw it up.
jeep991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 12:13 PM   #1128
flamesrule_kipper34
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep991 View Post
I've gotten Surfshark working with Hulu, Disney+ and ESPN+ streaming on the TV so far (3 weeks). CBS All Access US is working on my laptop browser but not on the TV yet, not sure why. It took a long time to figure out all the settings and locations so hopefully nothing happens to screw it up.
I've only had 3 issues so far:

1. Haven't gotten Netflix working on my SmartTV yet (works on browser and phone and Firestick apps).

2. Haven't gotten Peabody working yet on apps (only browser)

3. Chose not to try chromecasting because it requires either mobile hotspotting or a router VPN.

SurfShark said 2 is a known issue they're working on and I'll try continuing to troubleshoot #1.
flamesrule_kipper34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 05:37 PM   #1129
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I mean they will blacklist ip addresses
So it will work for a while, then not for a while.
Perhaps surfshark has committed to providing new ip's quicker than they used to, or maybe stream g sites are being less vigilant about these kind of things.
Hope it continues to work great for you for a long time!
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2021, 09:46 AM   #1130
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pardon the bump, but it seems like the best place to ask:

I am an Apple ecosystem guy, I have an old TV that I'd like to put in the garage, but I can't really justify an Apple TV just for this. So I am thinking of going the Chromecast route.

When I have played with a friend's Chromecast, it seemed to work well from my iOS phone. And it also seemed to grab the stream more independently that what I experience with AirPlay, if that makes sense. Or in other words, if I received a call on my phone, the Chromecast stream would not be interrupted as it would like with AirPlay. Even after I left his house, my stream continued to play indefinitely whereas with AirPlay it'll end as soon as the main device leaves the network.

The Shaw Bluecurve TV app also only supports Chromecast and not AirPlay, and hockey would be one of the things I'd put on when out there. Sure, I could use the Sportsnet app, but the Shaw app is actually really good and lets me watch other stuff as well.

Is there any reason I shouldn't get a Chromecast for $39?

A bonus would be for me to be able to watch BBC content, which I currently do occasionally via a DNS/VPN service. Does Chromecast still bake in the Google DNS servers, or can these be customized?
Jimmy Stang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 11:00 AM   #1131
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post

I am an Apple ecosystem guy, I have an old TV that I'd like to put in the garage, but I can't really justify an Apple TV just for this. So I am thinking of going the Chromecast route.

When I have played with a friend's Chromecast, it seemed to work well from my iOS phone. And it also seemed to grab the stream more independently that what I experience with AirPlay, if that makes sense. Or in other words, if I received a call on my phone, the Chromecast stream would not be interrupted as it would like with AirPlay. Even after I left his house, my stream continued to play indefinitely whereas with AirPlay it'll end as soon as the main device leaves the network.

The Shaw Bluecurve TV app also only supports Chromecast and not AirPlay, and hockey would be one of the things I'd put on when out there. Sure, I could use the Sportsnet app, but the Shaw app is actually really good and lets me watch other stuff as well.

A bonus would be for me to be able to watch BBC content, which I currently do occasionally via a DNS/VPN service. Does Chromecast still bake in the Google DNS servers, or can these be customized?

My wife has an iPhone, my kids have iPads. They never ever use Apple TV and use the Chromecast every time. It's seamless and the remote is perfect for kids too young to type ad the voice search works great
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2021, 11:52 AM   #1132
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
My wife has an iPhone, my kids have iPads. They never ever use Apple TV and use the Chromecast every time. It's seamless and the remote is perfect for kids too young to type ad the voice search works great
I would recommend spending the extra few bucks for the Google TV version with the remote versus the standard chromecast. As mentioned above, it is very easy to browse and the voice search is nice. Also, if you want to go dark side, it is very easy to install Kodi from the Play Store.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pseudoreality For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2021, 10:37 AM   #1133
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post

Not sure how fancy you want to get but I have at least one old apple tv you can have. It doesn't have a remote and is the skinny version but if you have use for it instead of sitting in a drawer I am happy to help out!
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fundmark19 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2021, 01:28 PM   #1134
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundmark19 View Post
Not sure how fancy you want to get but I have at least one old apple tv you can have. It doesn't have a remote and is the skinny version but if you have use for it instead of sitting in a drawer I am happy to help out!
That is a super generous offer, and I really do appreciate it. I actually pondered getting a new Apple TV for inside and then relegating one of my older ones to the garage.

Oddly, I was chatting with a friend about camping of all things, and he said something about a 3rd generation Chromecast that he bought for his trailer that he never really used, so it was sitting in a drawer at his place. I insisted that I give him something for it, but he refused. Then I said I would buy a few extra boxes of Girl Guide cookies off of his daughter, and everyone is happy with that. Win-win.

So once again, thanks for the kind offer. I'll see how this other freebie goes once I pick it up and, with any luck, I will be eating cookies and watching TV in my garage in no time!
Jimmy Stang is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2021, 10:48 AM   #1135
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Well, I finally cut my cable yesterday. I tried Sportsnet Now on the PS4 App and it would last about 15 minutes during the Flames game before the stream would go blank and the app would stop doing anything. Anyone have any luck fixing that problem? (The game streamed just fine on my PC)

On a related note, if the PS4 app is complete garbage, what's the best platform to watch Sportsnet Now and NHL Live? I'll use my PC connected to my TV for now but would like something less cumbersome like a Chromecast or other streaming box if possible.
Mazrim is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2021, 01:24 PM   #1136
Hanni
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
Well, I finally cut my cable yesterday. I tried Sportsnet Now on the PS4 App and it would last about 15 minutes during the Flames game before the stream would go blank and the app would stop doing anything. Anyone have any luck fixing that problem? (The game streamed just fine on my PC)

On a related note, if the PS4 app is complete garbage, what's the best platform to watch Sportsnet Now and NHL Live? I'll use my PC connected to my TV for now but would like something less cumbersome like a Chromecast or other streaming box if possible.
I have a Fire Stick that I have never been able to get the Sportsnet app to work properly on. I also have a previous gen Nvidia Shield that works flawlessly at Sportnet and every other streaming app, awesome box IMO.
Hanni is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hanni For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2021, 02:12 PM   #1137
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanni View Post
I have a Fire Stick that I have never been able to get the Sportsnet app to work properly on. I also have a previous gen Nvidia Shield that works flawlessly at Sportnet and every other streaming app, awesome box IMO.
2nd this, both Sportsnet and the NHL app work without issue on my Shield. If TSN would get off their lazy asses and make an Android TV app then it'd be the perfect sports box
Old 10-19-2021, 02:15 PM   #1138
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yep - TSN is pretty criminal.. nothing roku, chromecast, ps4. Just their garbage android app, and their app for smart TV's is a complete joke
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 02:18 PM   #1139
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calumniate View Post
Yep - TSN is pretty criminal.. nothing roku, chromecast, ps4. Just their garbage android app, and their app for smart TV's is a complete joke
Well they did finally add Chromecast support to the mobile app, but you're stuck with 30fps which is terrible for hockey. I hope Sportsnet keeps the NHL rights until TSN moves into the 21st century
Old 10-19-2021, 02:21 PM   #1140
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Well they did finally add Chromecast support to the mobile app, but you're stuck with 30fps which is terrible for hockey. I hope Sportsnet keeps the NHL rights until TSN moves into the 21st century
Sorry - i should clarify that I have a chromecast with the remote that allows you to install apps on it. Still nothing for that.. guess you're right that for the best streaming I should do it from my laptop, but what a pain. Right now am just doing like you said, chromecasting it from my phone :/
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote