Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2021, 05:48 PM   #21
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames_fan_down_under View Post
I have just been thinking about the time I have spent on this forum lately. I wouldn't say I am a prolific poster by any means, but I am coming up to 15 years of being a member of this forum, which is pretty crazy.
Interesting timing -- I'm coming up on 15 years myself this March. Woo boy how time flies

Looking at some of the original join dates, it looks like things officially kicked off here in October 2001. CP's twenty year anniversary just a stone's throw away...
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 06:14 PM   #22
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

My join date says 2002, but I feel like there was a previous iteration a little before that? I thought I had joined right when I moved to the US around the end of 2000 to keep in touch with the Flames. It's been a great place for keeping tabs on Calgary/Canada issues and takes.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 06:36 PM   #23
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
Interesting timing -- I'm coming up on 15 years myself this March. Woo boy how time flies

Looking at some of the original join dates, it looks like things officially kicked off here in October 2001. CP's twenty year anniversary just a stone's throw away...
I joined in March of 2006 also
Old 01-23-2021, 07:12 PM   #24
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sluggo View Post
I myself have one of the more nerdier origin stories as I was exposed to CP through the SSP Calgary forums. Was a lurker on both for years before making accounts and still mostly lurk unless I need a social outlet as I prefer face to face interactions over prose.

Anyone else come off a long hiatus on here because of Covid?
I loved SSP. had an account but didn’t post much as a lot of the talk was a bit over my head being neither an architect or a construction aficionado. Also covid has made me more active. More free time doing nothing at home.

Lurked on CP for years. I think I heard about it from HFBoards which I thought was the only place to get flames talk. Found CP much more civil and rational. A lot of my friends weren’t flames fans at the time so it was nice to get a flames fan prospective on contemporary events.

I joined due to the arena debate. Probably a dumb idea to assume a forum occupied by diehard flames fans would be more rational or neutral to the pros and cons of a new hockey arena, but there was a lot of stuff on there I couldn’t help but respond to. At the time I got a lot of flack for being a City of Calgary plant.

I spend most of my time on the off topics. The FOI is way to busy and too hard to keep up. I find myself trying to comment on a post 40 pages behind. I also find there is a lot of filler. Look at the PLD thread as evidence. I still lurk but rarely post.
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 08:09 PM   #25
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I myself have one of the more nerdier origin stories as I was exposed to CP through the SSP Calgary forums. Was a lurker on both for years before making accounts and still mostly lurk unless I need a social outlet as I prefer face to face interactions over prose.

Anyone else come off a long hiatus on here because of Covid?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
I loved SSP. had an account but didn’t post much as a lot of the talk was a bit over my head being neither an architect or a construction aficionado. Also covid has made me more active. More free time doing nothing at home.

I spend most of my time on the off topics. The FOI is way to busy and too hard to keep up. I find myself trying to comment on a post 40 pages behind. I also find there is a lot of filler. Look at the PLD thread as evidence. I still lurk but rarely post.
I found CP through SSP as well. SSP used to be fantastic for local discussions, it has unfortunately deteriorated a lot but I get most of my fill here now.

Huge majority of my browsing is in the OT forum, followed by the Covid forum and the 'Other sports' thread. I'm not a Flames fan so don't get too involved in the Flames forum, there's not a lot in there that interests me. If I had one complaint that would be it. I understand this is a Calgary board so the Flames are goign to dominate the threads but it's unfortunate there wasn't more of a general NHL thread or threads for those who follow other teams.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 11:09 PM   #26
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

I came from flames.com and I miss my blue squares for being a terrible poster.
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Boblobla For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2021, 11:17 PM   #27
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Forgot about the blue squares!
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flames_fan_down_under For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2021, 09:01 AM   #28
RogerWilco
First Line Centre

Exp:

During the excitement of the Flames run in 2004 I was searching online for Flames talk and came across CP. Mostly used it during away games for the game thread and to chat after the playoff wins and losses. I think I mainly now just read the OT and post occasionally. I used to like posting hockey talk when I was younger but for reason I just don't seem to be that interested in stats. that much any more. I just find the OT to be a good place to see different opinions on random current topics.
RogerWilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 04:07 PM   #29
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Weirdly I'm another poster who came from SSP. I liked the discussions on there and learning about what was happening around the city. SSP went downhill and I guess at some point I followed a link to a discussion here.

I don't care about hockey so rarely venture outside of the OT forum (sometimes visit the soccer threads) and I'd consider myself very much a lurker. I come here every day (well, every work day) and sometimes find myself wanting to chip in but like many internet discussions I find this place can be a bit knee-jerky in its responses (or certain people are at least) and I detest getting into internet arguments, so mostly I just avoid posting.

I do wish there was a lot more localised discussion about random things in our city (e.g. "here's a photo of this weird thing I saw downtown, what's that all about?". The few times I've visited the Reddit board I've noticed that they are good for that, but I dislike the reddit format over the good old message board format I started out on in the late 90s.
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 04:50 PM   #30
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lots off us ex SSPers, I too came from there.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 04:53 PM   #31
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Just for advertising, when I die, I'm going to put CP's address on my tombstone

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2021, 05:07 PM   #32
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

I started reading the forum during the playoff run, but didn't join until a few years ago. Someone had posted a dog-related question and I was quite involved in dog rescue at the time, so I joined so I could answer the question. By the time I was approved though, someone else had already answered it.

Now I'm just here to win the Amazing Race pools. ;-)
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 05:43 PM   #33
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

I too found my way here from SSP.

Moved to Calgary just at the start of the 03-04 season but didn’t have much connection to any other Flames fans until landing here on CP.

I probably spend 68% off topic, 30% FOI, 1% Tech, and 1% Food & Ent. I don’t read news sites, or Twitter, watch news channels or social media. I know I’ll get the necessary world news in OT seconds after it happens. My wife used to always be annoyed when she’d try to inform me of something big happening and I’d say, “Oh, I already know, someone posted it on CP”. Now she just assumes I’ll always know.

CP is not an addiction. It’s a way of life.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 06:24 PM   #34
Guest1

I think I started here after my husband recruited me to hang out in front of Southcentre mall selling some Flames DVD's to users of this board, that he may have pirated And the hubs used to write some game write ups, so I lurked for awhile to see what CP was all about and read his columns.
I would have to look up why I made an account and what my first post was... I have no idea!
Definitely a 50% COVID 50% Off topic... seeing as there's so swimming thread
Old 01-24-2021, 06:33 PM   #35
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm from the '06 club as well.

I started coming here because a girl asked me what I was doing on HF and lured me here. Feel much more at home here.

I don't post much, but I'm on here daily.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 08:20 AM   #36
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
This is the guy that introduced me to CP 20 years ago in university: https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=160167

When I finally decided to sign up, my first post was a Fata. Things have come a long ways from the days of the Teen Groupie Squad.
Jeff was also my intro to CP back in 2000 season. You guys are still my season ticket holders in my mind.
Old 01-25-2021, 09:14 AM   #37
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I lurked for years before finally making an account.
It was kind of strange, because I knew who many people were, but no one knew who I was.
If fact, that's still largely the case for anyone who doesn't post as often.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 09:21 AM   #38
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Before this:
https://web.archive.org/web/20020408...uck.com/forum/

Had to be 1999, the forum was the old ladder style, but I cant remember what it was called then or how I found it. I was GerryCheevers then.
Still a lot of the old originals on board, miss Cowperson a lot.
Cheese is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 10:05 AM   #39
krynski
First Line Centre

Exp:

I had a good friend at the time introduce me to CP probably in '07. He was very much a lurker, and not sure that he still lurks here and there. Made most of my debut posting when HD made game-day threads. Those were fantastic.

CP has long outlasted that friendship, and will continue a place I mostly lurk, and occasionally try to contribute. It's interesting to see some posters come and go, but there is a genuine community on here. In some of the times I have struggled, it's always great to connect a little with people going through some of the same things, or support others through theirs.
krynski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 10:23 AM   #40
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
I found CP through SSP as well. SSP used to be fantastic for local discussions, it has unfortunately deteriorated a lot but I get most of my fill here now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift View Post
Weirdly I'm another poster who came from SSP. I liked the discussions on there and learning about what was happening around the city. SSP went downhill and I guess at some point I followed a link to a discussion here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Lots off us ex SSPers, I too came from there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
I too found my way here from SSP.
LOL, I'm yet another member that heard about CP from being over at SSP.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote