Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-27-2020, 08:33 AM   #321
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Very attempted to buy this.

However, I have a friend that insists I should buy an Apollo scooter instead.
Hey he could be right. I don't really know much about all the brands. I like Ninebot because they're so huge that I don't have to worry about parts, support, or them just disappearing. I also have experience with the first one I bought, so I trust them to order again

If you don't mind risking other brands, go for it. Maybe Apollo is a big brand for all I know. At the end of the day, it's "only" a thousand bucks or so. Not saying that's cheap, but probably wouldn't lead to your financial ruin if something totally unresolvable happened to the scooter.

I did see these guys having a sale today: https://north49brands.com/product-ca...hoCTSoQAvD_BwE.

Those are some beast looking scooters and that 500w motor should be faster than the Ninebot.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2020, 10:32 AM   #322
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Looks cheaper on Amazon

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07WYXXL4V?...ogi&th=1&psc=1 I am intrigued this could be fun some reviews say battery life isn't that great. Think I would have any issues going Mckenzie towne to Riverbend with the hills and back?

Last edited by fundmark19; 11-27-2020 at 10:43 AM.
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 04:52 PM   #323
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just as an FYI I saw this on the city site. Doubtful you’d get busted for riding a personal scooter but...

Quote:
Electric scooters are classified under the Alberta Traffic Safety Act as prohibited miniature vehicles and may not operate on the road right of way, including city sidewalks, bike lanes and cycle tracks. Personal electric scooters may be used on the pathway network. The provincial exemption to operate an electric scooter only applies to the electric scooters owned by Permit Holders operating in the Shared Electric Scooter Pilot.​​

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FurnaceFace For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2020, 06:34 PM   #324
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sure, I mean, why not one of these.

https://www.smartwheel.ca/ZERO-11X-D...rs_p_1968.html

95 km/h on a scooter? Seems reasonable.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 07:05 PM   #325
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurnaceFace View Post
Just as an FYI I saw this on the city site. Doubtful you’d get busted for riding a personal scooter but...
Good to know, thanks for finding that. Probably low risk for any real trouble, but better to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Sure, I mean, why not one of these.

https://www.smartwheel.ca/ZERO-11X-D...rs_p_1968.html

95 km/h on a scooter? Seems reasonable.
Yeah I'm kind of surprised at my maturity here, but I actually wouldn't want to go much faster than 30 kph on one of these, I think. 3200w is hilariously bananas. Would be so fun, I'm sure, but how embarrassing would it be to die on a fataing kick scooter of all things.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 07:13 PM   #326
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh, I don't think you'd be on it anymore. Hell, you wouldn't be anywhere near it.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 07:18 PM   #327
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Good to know, thanks for finding that. Probably low risk for any real trouble, but better to know.
You could always toss a yellow sticker on it and pretend it was a Bird

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FurnaceFace For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2020, 07:46 PM   #328
Blankcanvas
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
The Segway Ninebot Max scooter is finally on sale ($150 off). I've had my eye on them forever and this is the first time I've seen a sale so I grabbed one with my credit card points. I also have the Segway ES4, but the Max is faster and it'll be fun to have both so I can cruise around with my kids and they can go together with their friends.

These scooters are really fun, so if you're on the fence just do it. I had my ES4 that I've had for a couple years out in Banff earlier this month and I rode it all the way up from town to the top of Tunnel Mountain, which is pretty cool considering I weigh over 200 pounds (all muscle).

I got the MAX from Costco in the summer for $999, mainly for my kid. It has been great. Very well built with a great range (up to 65km on a full charge) and okay top speed (30 km/h). It handles well and feels very solid. The colder weather hasn't stopped him from taking it out.

The only downside, compared to some others, is that it is quite heavy. Not ideal if you're often folding it up to take on transit, into a building etc.

No regrets with he purchase and would recommend especially at the sale price.
Blankcanvas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blankcanvas For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2020, 08:38 AM   #329
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Neat data analysis on the 2 years we've had the scooters in Calgary:

https://meanmedianmodechoice.com/202...cooting-along/

Last edited by Bigtime; 12-16-2020 at 10:13 AM.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2020, 10:14 AM   #330
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Neat data analysis on the 2 years we've had the scooters in Calgary:

https://meanmedianmodechoice.com/202...cooting-along/
The same author digs into the data even more:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1339251863531696128
Old 01-20-2021, 03:16 PM   #331
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Council granted permanent approval to the e-scooter program Monday night:

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...box=1611152823

Quote:
There will be a limit of 1,500 shared scooters allowed across Calgary. City officials said they anticipate letting two companies operate, with 750 scooters each.
Quote:
Scooters will also be allowed in Calgary year-round, rather than being taken away after the first snowfall of the year.
Old 01-20-2021, 03:18 PM   #332
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder how many scooters end up buried in snow banks after a snowfall and pathway plow...It'll be like watching mastodon bones emerge after a glaciation...
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 03:59 PM   #333
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Are they not removed before winter?
red sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 04:06 PM   #334
Esoteric
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by red sky View Post
Are they not removed before winter?
Previously yes, but in the article it says

Quote:
Scooters will also be allowed in Calgary year-round, rather than being taken away after the first snowfall of the year.
Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 08:03 PM   #335
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I really hope there was some tough requirements on these companies to ensure that scooters are relaxed to proper storage more frequently.

In the summer time, all the scooters haphazardly left along sidewalk and impeding right of ways and access ramps is primarily just a bit of an eyesore (well unless you’re mobility restricted and someone’s left the scooter at the mouth of the access ramp like a ####ing idiot). But when there’s snow banks and reduced space I could see them being seriously frustrating for people l and snow clearing crews.
Old 01-21-2021, 08:09 AM   #336
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
I really hope there was some tough requirements on these companies to ensure that scooters are relaxed to proper storage more frequently.

In the summer time, all the scooters haphazardly left along sidewalk and impeding right of ways and access ramps is primarily just a bit of an eyesore (well unless you’re mobility restricted and someone’s left the scooter at the mouth of the access ramp like a ####ing idiot). But when there’s snow banks and reduced space I could see them being seriously frustrating for people l and snow clearing crews.
I didn't see any specific changes noted to storage, but they did specifically call out that having 3 companies & 3,000 scooters created a lot of clutter. Will be limited to 2 companies & 1,500 total scooters. I think between that and the 2020 changes to drop zones should certainly help. (But do agree I can only imagine how many are going to incidentally end up in the path of a plow on snowy days).
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 08:15 AM   #337
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

They need more robust kickstands so they can stand up on the grass beside the pathway.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 08:41 AM   #338
Julio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Based on what I have heard in other cities, the companies self regulate to a degree when it comes to cold/snow. An example here is that the scooters got picked up en masse by the companies when we had that snow/cold snap around Thanksgiving, and then put some back out for the last week of October.
Old 01-21-2021, 08:42 AM   #339
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio View Post
Based on what I have heard in other cities, the companies self regulate to a degree when it comes to cold/snow. An example here is that the scooters got picked up en masse by the companies when we had that snow/cold snap around Thanksgiving, and then put some back out for the last week of October.
In Calgary they were required to pick them up, I think now they are waiving that?
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 10:07 AM   #340
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hmm, Bird and Neuron selected for the scooters. No Lime:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1397946293037637633