Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment

Old 12-05-2017, 09:46 AM   #21
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it's important to keep in mind that the worth and value of Disney regaining the properties it licensed to Fox are insignificant in terms of the scope of this deal. It's much more interesting in what this means for Hulu, for Sky, and influence the Murdoch's might have on the Disney board.

This is coming from someone who watches every Disney and Fox movie related to Marvel characters already. The merger won't change that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I am kind of surprised Disney didn't take this opportunity to be the hero and dismantle Fox News. I guess that would have been a bit too political for Disney.
Fox is interested in selling TV and movie production. It is not interested in selling its news properties.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 10:03 AM   #22
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

There is also an NHL aspect to this deal, which might point more and more to the NHL returning to ESPN (owned by Disney) when the contract is up with NBC in 2021.

Fox's regional sports networks have the regional NHL TV rights for: Anaheim, Arizona, Carolina, Columbus, Dallas, Detroit, Los Angeles, Florida, Minnesota, Nashville, St. Louis, Tampa Bay

Not confirmed yet, but sounds like those deals will transfer to Disney.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2017, 10:37 AM   #23
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m not sure expecting better movies with less competition between studios is sensible. It’s reminiscent of when WWE bought WCW, at the time WWE was one of the most popular programs on tv, but when they lost their only major competition the product suffered(and never recovered)because they knew their fan base had no other options, this combined with their more family friendly format change IMO led to a lot fans switching to UFC.
iggy_oi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 10:46 AM   #24
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
There is also an NHL aspect to this deal, which might point more and more to the NHL returning to ESPN (owned by Disney) when the contract is up with NBC in 2021.

Fox's regional sports networks have the regional NHL TV rights for: Anaheim, Arizona, Carolina, Columbus, Dallas, Detroit, Los Angeles, Florida, Minnesota, Nashville, St. Louis, Tampa Bay

Are the regional sports networks going to transfer to Disney at all? Articles I've read don't mention them specifically, but mention that local stations, Fox News, Fox Broadcasting Co., and the Fox Sports channel (FS1) not being included in any potential deal.
Old 12-05-2017, 10:51 AM   #25
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
I’m not sure expecting better movies with less competition between studios is sensible. It’s reminiscent of when WWE bought WCW, at the time WWE was one of the most popular programs on tv, but when they lost their only major competition the product suffered(and never recovered)because they knew their fan base had no other options, this combined with their more family friendly format change IMO led to a lot fans switching to UFC.
You must not follow stocks very close. WWE is doing quite well.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 11:09 AM   #26
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
Are the regional sports networks going to transfer to Disney at all? Articles I've read don't mention them specifically, but mention that local stations, Fox News, Fox Broadcasting Co., and the Fox Sports channel (FS1) not being included in any potential deal.
From the CNBC article:

Quote:
The deal contemplates the sale of Fox's Nat Geo, Star, regional sports networks, movie studios and stakes in Sky and Hulu, among other properties. What would remain at Fox includes its news and business news divisions, broadcast network and Fox sports.
FS1 is their national channel.
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2017, 11:15 AM   #27
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post
You must not follow stocks very close. WWE is doing quite well.
I’m talking about the product itself. The ratings for WWE programming have dropped to almost half their peak(right before the purchase of WCW)

I don’t watch wrestling anymore, but haven’t the last few WWE events in the city been at the corral instead of the dome? That to me suggests the product is suffering.

Disney will no doubt continue to grow as a result of this, but as a consumer I’m not concerned with their stocks, I’m concerned about the product that may begin to deteriorate.
Old 12-05-2017, 11:58 AM   #28
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

There's other factors involved with ratings declines in any TV show - like there being a billion alternatives to watch now, and that more people use services like Hulu and Netflix now instead of just watching traditional TV.
Old 12-05-2017, 12:28 PM   #29
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
There's other factors involved with ratings declines in any TV show - like there being a billion alternatives to watch now, and that more people use services like Hulu and Netflix now instead of just watching traditional TV.
This is true. But the general consensus among fans seems to be that the quality of the product has diminished significantly. And the ratings prior to their peak were much lower as well, in fact they were almost put out of business because WCW was destroying them in ratings.
Old 12-05-2017, 05:57 PM   #30
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Besides X-Men fox also has Avatar, Independence Day, Planet of the Apes I wonder if any of those would get rebooted under Disney. I would love for Apes to continue but I'd be concerned if Disney was at the helm.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 06:52 PM   #31
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
Besides X-Men fox also has Avatar, Independence Day, Planet of the Apes I wonder if any of those would get rebooted under Disney. I would love for Apes to continue but I'd be concerned if Disney was at the helm.
Avatar is already slated for 4 sequels ( Avatar 2 & 3 are currently filming and 4 & 5 planned). Disney even added a new Avatar sequel based area to Animal Kingdom in Walt Disney World that opened a few months ago. If anything Disney already had a financial interest in the Avatar franchise doing well, this just increases it and probably makes it more likely all the sequels get made.
Old 12-05-2017, 07:00 PM   #32
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
WWE is making their money with their monthly pay per view package. Stock has almost doubled in the last year or thereabouts.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 07:12 PM   #33
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

I think we as consumers will have to accept that there will never be ONE streaming network like Netflix with rights to everything we want to watch.

Disney competing head on with Netflix might be a good thing for getting more great original content out there. Which would be better for us.

But we'll probably have to pay another $10 per month to watch it.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 07:49 PM   #34
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

If this deal goes through, it will give Disney 60% control of Hulu (Disney, Fox, and Comcast each own 30% and Time-Warner owns 10%).
Old 12-05-2017, 09:10 PM   #35
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post
WWE is making their money with their monthly pay per view package. Stock has almost doubled in the last year or thereabouts.
The company is performing well because they have diversified with things like the creation of the WWE network. The current live product does not have the same demand it used to either. The WWE relies on bringing back aging stars so fans buy the PPV for nostalgia, they have no incentive to improve their product because fans continue to buy the same recycled ideas and stars because their is no other real alternative, especially when you consider that children make up a large portion of their fan base so ufc isn’t an option.

My concern is that any entertainment company(like Disney in this case) who increasingly eliminates their competition IMO runs the risk of their product becoming bland if consumers have no choice but to continue buying a now inferior product because there is no alternative for the product. I think what happened with the WWE product is a good example of this. And like the WWE I think because Disney knows people will always want to watch movies, old and new, and these acquisitions makes them the biggest producer of new films and owner of the most franchise and back catalog licenses, so they will continue to make money even if their newer product isn’t well received. If they can continue to grow off royalties alone, where is the incentive to improve their product?
The Following User Says Thank You to iggy_oi For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2017, 07:25 AM   #36
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

What is their incentive to improve their product now?

All of these studios are putting out the same thing again and again and making 500+ million a shot. It's all formulaic at this point. No, massive mergers aren't good for the industry, but at this point it doesn't matter. The industry is not good for the industry.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 07:29 AM   #37
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I'd love to see a X-Men vs. Avengers movie.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:40 AM   #38
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
What is their incentive to improve their product now?

All of these studios are putting out the same thing again and again and making 500+ million a shot. It's all formulaic at this point. No, massive mergers aren't good for the industry, but at this point it doesn't matter. The industry is not good for the industry.
Their incentive to improve their product comes from having to compete for their share of the audience market. If their movies suck, the competition gets the consumers. If their is no competition and moviegoers have to take what is given to them, there is very little incentive to improve the product IMO.
Old 12-06-2017, 12:47 PM   #39
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Don't worry, there's still Time Warner, Sony, NBC Universal/Comcast, Viacom, and MGM, among others.
and Vivid, don't forget about the folks that bring you quality home entertainment.

as an aside, it stuns me that WWE stock is doing so well.
Old 12-06-2017, 12:53 PM   #40
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post

That's interesting. They also just recently bought most of MLBAM which own's NHL gamecenter. They'd own a lot of regional television rights for baseball and hockey, and also the out of market streaming rights. They might have some master plan for ESPN becoming how you watch all hockey and baseball.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/maurybr.../#7f849a384a5d
nfotiu is online now   Reply With Quote