Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-18-2018, 10:33 AM   #801
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
DS9 right now remains my favorite Star Trek series, mainly because they hit a homerun in terms of the characters and how they were developed. Also I loved it because frankly they showed that the Federation was not all that great, and were just as dirty as the other races.

In terms of series

1) DS9 - Awesome characters, a deeply flawed but determined Captain who was a good man. The minor characters like Garak were interesting and the Klingons were awesomely used. They also stumbled upon a great enemy that they didn't ruin. Also they had some really wild episodes like Pale Moonlight, but the episode where Sisko was a writer slowly going insane as he tried to get his story about a space station commanded by a black man in the 1940's blew my mind.

2) Star Trek TOS - I always get heat for ranking it so highly, but I don't care. The chemistry between Kirk, Spock and McCoy is unmatched, the minor characters were interesting and they tackled some highly controversial stories like Interracial love and racism.

3) TNG - I didn't like a lot of the series, I hated the Enterprise E design as it looked like a hotel, the Characters were all too flawless and because of that there was a flatness to them. The show did become better in later years mainly because Patrick Stewart really evolved his character. It was a solid addition to the Star Trek Universe, but I think it could have been better.

4) Enterprise - Not a great series, which was sad because it had potential with human's taking their first steps into a larger universe and they were the most formidable race in the universe. I loved the ship design, as it felt claustrophobic like a submarine and they had a whole season where the ship was just beaten to pieces. It got stronger in the last year, the two late season mirror episodes represented nearly the best episodes of any series.

5) Discovery - Just a freaking mess, the characters weren't interesting. The storylines were poorly done. The mirror episodes started strong but became stupid as they progressed. The effects and outside the ship scenes were confusingly bad. The Klingons looked stupid because they were over made up and they spoke like Native Americans. Hopefully they fix this in season two but it seemed desperate that they bought in the 1701.
Where do you put Voyager?
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 10:35 AM   #802
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
The Delta Quadrant.
Old 06-18-2018, 10:42 AM   #803
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
More problems behind the scene as the two show runners have been fired, and replaced by Alex Kurtzman.

They're sighting that there were budget problems and an abusive environment.

https://tvline.com/2018/06/14/star-t...alex-kurtzman/

Not exactly a change as Kurtzman has been working on the show. He also executive produced Star Trek into Darkness, which isn't a endorsement of his skills.

Hey, maybe they'll have the crew of the Enterprise run into Kahn, while the crew of the discovery delivers packages for Space Amazon.
Kurtzman and Orci are perhaps the worst writers in Hollywood, that keep getting high profile jobs. On Kurtzman's resume (writer) :

Star Trek Into : Darkness
Amazing Spiderman 2
The Mummy (the bad Mummy)
Several Transformers movies
MI3 (before it got good)
and some pretty week episodes of major TV series

I had a rant about Kurtzman/Orci 'magic blood' about a year ago. He is horrible and Orci is 10 times worse. Him working on this, or on anything, makes Hollywood as a business look really bad.
Old 06-18-2018, 11:57 AM   #804
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
You noticed that didn't you?

Voyager is the only Star Trek TV show that I ever stopped watching before it finished its original TV run, that's how bad it is. Though the first few episodes of next year's discovery could break that record.

Voyager was in last place for me, I just forgot to put it in. The sad part is that the concept of a ship flung across the galaxy is an amazing story canvas, they just chose to fill it up with bland characters, and then panicked and added the sexy beast to the show and then filled it up with nonsense interspersed with some occasional good arcs (The year in hell). They also continued the unforgivable evisceration of the Borg.

I was thinking about this last night, and everything flows from the Captain out right.

So

Scenario - The shields are down, the bridge is in Flames, three Klingon Cruisers materialize off the port bow. A crewman screams "Captain they're locking on weapons"

How do the Captains respond

Kirk - "Initiate the self destruct sequence and tell the Klingons that if we go they go"

Sisco - "Initiate Evasive Maneuvers Sisco pie one and lock quantum Torpedoes., they'll earn their dinner tonight"

Picard - "Hail them, tell them that I want to resolve this peacefully"

Archer - "Nothing on this freaking ship works, Can we actually hail them?"

Kirk Alternate time line - "Target the lead cruiser and go to maximum impulse, either we're going down (dramatic pause) or they are"

Janeway - "Options people"
7 of 9 - "We can cascade anti-tacyons thought the secondary plasma relays using the main deflector array"
Janeway - "Will that work?"
7 of 9 - "yes Captain, it will give the Klingons the illusion that there are 72 voyagers out there"
Chakotay - "Won't they just shoot the one that they're already targeting?"
Torres - "Silence male, we are planning"

Klingons open fire

PS the voyager storyline, trapped a long ways from home with no help, as bad as enterprise was, the season in the expanse which was the same storyline was done a lot better.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2018, 12:08 PM   #805
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

It always bothered me that they didn't let Enterprise play out its 7 year run. Once Manny Coto took over in the last season, it really did start to pick up steam, and I think it could have really redeemed itself if allowed to continue.

They let Voyager play out 7 years, and it was mostly horrendous. Captain, you missed nothing by bypassing the end of Voyager. Really badly written, and it made a mockery of the entire Star Trek Universe, making all other series not fit properly into what was now canon for that timeline.
Old 06-18-2018, 12:12 PM   #806
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I get that people have different opinions on things but it blows my mind when people say Voyager is one of their favourites. I didn't finish it either and probably gave up after season 2. I might have watched a couple episodes towards the end and did watch the finale just in case it ended well. Nope.

Last edited by KTrain; 06-18-2018 at 12:29 PM.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 12:23 PM   #807
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Voyager was such a train wreck. My friends like it and I don't know wtf their problem is. Everyone character on that show was terrible.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 12:23 PM   #808
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Yeah, I watched the finals and it was cringeworthy, especially when they technobabbled it to the point where they had somehow adapted Borg technology to the ship.

I just wish they would have techno blarged a solution and the main deflector dish blew up or half the crew was bathed in ionizing radiation, and some engineer says in his dying words "I told you the ship wasn't designed to do that you idiots"

Old 06-18-2018, 12:28 PM   #809
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
I get that people have different opinions on things but it blows my mind when people say Voyager is one of their favourites. I didn't finish it either and probably gave up after season 2. I might have a watched a couple episodes towards the end and did watch the finale just in case it ended well. Nope.
I just couldn't get invested in those characters at all, especially Paris, Kim, Janeway, and Chakotay. I hated all of them (except for 7 of 9. Damn, she was sexy.)

That being said, I did like the "Year of Hell" and the Species 8472 episodes.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 12:48 PM   #810
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Neelix, ugh. So many bad characters on that show.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2018, 12:54 PM   #811
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

That episode where Kes wanted him to knock her up was so bad. He was a deux ex machina because he always knew a guy.

The saddest thing was the whole Jeniifer Lien story.

Old 06-19-2018, 01:11 PM   #812
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well if you didn't like Discovery, you can take pleasure in knowing there will be 4, yes, 4 more series to not like:

https://www.polygon.com/tv/2018/6/19...k-tv-shows-cbs

This all sounds bad.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 01:18 PM   #813
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Well if you didn't like Discovery, you can take pleasure in knowing there will be 4, yes, 4 more series to not like:

This all sounds bad.
Quote:
Alex Kurtzman, whose credits include the Star Trek Kelvinverse films, several Transformers movies, and the recent “Dark Universe” reboot of The Mummy, is supervising all of the shows in development, as well as taking over showrunner duties on Discovery season two.
Oh yeah....this cant miss. This guy is hitting all the right buttons.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 01:35 PM   #814
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

This all sounds bad.
Quote:
The show will come from Stephanie Savage and Josh Schwartz, the creators of Gossip Girl, The CW’s Dynasty reboot, and Hulu and Marvel’s Runaways series. One can only imagine the show falling in line with those series, an entry point for younger audiences who know comic book characters from the Arrowverse and call The Force Awakens their Star Wars.
Discovery already has the whiff of an edgy CW drama about it. I guess snarky class/crew-mates, social ostracization, cliques, moody boys, and alpha girls are the future of SF.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 02:02 PM   #815
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Spoiler!
Spoiler!

Last edited by CaptainCrunch; 06-19-2018 at 02:05 PM.
Old 06-19-2018, 02:12 PM   #816
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
It's kinda like the Oilers hiring Gulitzen. Hey, look at that guy who failed! We should totally sign him on.
Old 06-19-2018, 02:19 PM   #817
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Don't forget - he's a Executive Producer on that marvel of deep, deep writing called "Hawaii Five-O".

Hey I like that show but it's writing is finger bowl deep....
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 02:24 PM   #818
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
Don't forget - he's a Executive Producer on that marvel of deep, deep writing called "Hawaii Five-O".

Hey I like that show but it's writing is finger bowl deep....
Hes like King Midas' step-brother Prince Dookie.

Everything he touches turns to absolute ####.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 02:55 PM   #819
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

This all sounds bad.

Ugh, those are some pretty terrible ideas. Looks like I'll be sticking with the JJ Abrams/alternate timeline movies for my Star Trek fix for the next little while. Like most of you, I wasn't a big fan of Into Darkness. But I thought the 1st movie and Star Trek Beyond were both excellent.

Speaking of which, it looks like they're finally into pre-production on the next one:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4756228/

There's also the long rumored Tarantino film that's currently in the works at Paramount. The guy is apparently a huge Trek fan and I'm really curious to see what he comes up with.

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertain...tml/?a=viewall

Quote:
According to Deadline, Tarantino came up with the idea for the new movie, and he pitched it to J.J. Abrams and Paramount Pictures. They liked his concept so much that they immediately began assembling a writer’s room to put together a screenplay.

So the movie might not be as chock-full of Tarantino-isms as you’d expect, considering it would be the first film he directs without also writing. Still, the thrust of the movie comes from his brain. The film is also rumored to have an R-rating, although Simon Pegg has suggested this may not be the case.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2018, 02:59 PM   #820
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

They should just get the guys together(Quentin Tarantino, Robert Rodriguez, Allison Anders, Alexandre Rockwell) and do Four Rooms, but in space.