Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2015, 12:22 PM   #21
Julio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Old 01-16-2015, 12:23 PM   #22
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Territories suck. Plain and simple. Sure they're neat for a weekend or if you want to check out the Northern lights, but let's drop some real talk here.. there's a reason no one lives there.

So guess what, throughout human history, when places suck, people pack up their crap and move. You've got legs, cars, planes, hell dog sleds. Get moving and better yourselves and stop this woe is me nonsense.

If you're just going to sit on your ass and bitch and complain about how bad it is and do nothing but drink, do drugs and kill your neighbors, well then, I don't see how any of us thousands of miles away should give a damn. And for gods sake, don't call it 'Canada's Shame'. Canada has done nothing but bend over backwards and accomodate you and your ridicoulous choice to live in bumsville nowhere
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tyler For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2015, 12:28 PM   #23
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Then why does the boreal forest just stop in Nunavut?

I'm not talking about places with plenty of vegetation already like Alaska and the western territories. There's a pretty stark difference when you compare cities like Yellowknife and Iqaluit

Nunavut's tree line is influenced by the Hudson Bay. It's colder than the southern portion of the NWT at similar latitudes.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 12:36 PM   #24
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
So guess what, throughout human history, when places suck, people pack up their crap and move. You've got legs, cars, planes, hell dog sleds. Get moving and better yourselves and stop this woe is me nonsense.

If you're just going to sit on your ass and bitch and complain about how bad it is and do nothing but drink, do drugs and kill your neighbors, well then, I don't see how any of us thousands of miles away should give a damn. And for gods sake, don't call it 'Canada's Shame'. Canada has done nothing but bend over backwards and accomodate you and your ridicoulous choice to live in bumsville nowhere
About 25 years ago at some fancy dinner, I said it pretty much like this, although we were talking about several destitute native bands in Alberta. Man, did I get myself in trouble from some lady sitting at our table. She was a wife of some government official, never worked a day in her life. She gave me a lecture on how despicably un-Canadian this would be to not take care of the aboriginal communities and how they are an integral part of the Canadian fabric and how their culture of hunting and gathering must be respected and how we can all learn from them... I was young and she got me thinking about this quite a bit... Still think she was full of s..it, even after all of these years. Oh, good memories.
Old 01-16-2015, 12:39 PM   #25
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
The Territories suck. Plain and simple. Sure they're neat for a weekend or if you want to check out the Northern lights, but let's drop some real talk here.. there's a reason no one lives there.

We should take all the kids and ship them off to the schools in the south, they could live there, then we can let the old people just die off.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 01:10 PM   #26
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
We should take all the kids and ship them off to the schools in the south, they could live there, then we can let the old people just die off.
We could call them residential schools and I'm sure we could find people that like children that would work there, I mean really really like children, what could go wrong?
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2015, 01:11 PM   #27
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
We could call them residential schools and I'm sure we could find people that like children that would work there, I mean really really like children, what could go wrong?

Perhaps we could get the workers to take a vow of celibacy so they can really focus on their hands on work with the children.

Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2015, 01:42 PM   #28
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
About 25 years ago at some fancy dinner, I said it pretty much like this, although we were talking about several destitute native bands in Alberta. Man, did I get myself in trouble from some lady sitting at our table. She was a wife of some government official, never worked a day in her life. She gave me a lecture on how despicably un-Canadian this would be to not take care of the aboriginal communities and how they are an integral part of the Canadian fabric and how their culture of hunting and gathering must be respected and how we can all learn from them... I was young and she got me thinking about this quite a bit... Still think she was full of s..it, even after all of these years. Oh, good memories.
The culture of hunting and gathering is being replaced by a culture of poverty, crime, and substance abuse. I can only imagine what things will be like in another 50 years...
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 02:11 PM   #29
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

If they want to live a culture of nomadic hunting and gathering like the good 'ol days, nothing is stopping them. Go out there and hunt and gather. Hell, if they want it so bad we just close all public infrastructure. Problem solved.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 02:14 PM   #30
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

There are two options:

Assimilation. That means young people move to cities and learn to work in the modern economy. Old people get relocated to public housing. Natives mix in with the wider culture and everyone succeeds or fails by how well they adapt.

Pros: Cost of supporting unfeasible lifestyles isn't carried by public purse. Toxic environments for raising children are hopefully replaced with something better. Lots of needed young workers for Canada's economy.

Cons: Politically untenable. It's what we tried to do for most of the 20th century and was regarded as a failure (and immoral) by many. Would remove the power base of native leadership and their allies in government. We can already see attempts at assimilation among urban natives and it's not pretty.

Self-Government: Let natives carve out their own distinct economies and cultures in their traditional territories. Natives deal with the Canadian government through their own leadership.

Pros: Politically attractive. Idealistic. Gives native leaders lots of power. Keeps families and communities together.

Cons: Economically unfeasible. Land and mineral rights don't provide enough of an economic base for growing populations. Fosters an unhealthy renters culture, where ownership and self-direction are neglected. Results in ghettos and limited opportunity. Expensive for the Canadian government and taxpayer.

Sadly, the Cons of Assimilation trump the other considerations. For the time being, it's just not politically feasible to suggest the most rational course of action.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 02:16 PM   #31
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
If they want to live a culture of nomadic hunting and gathering like the good 'ol days, nothing is stopping them. Go out there and hunt and gather. Hell, if they want it so bad we just close all public infrastructure. Problem solved.

Why did they leave their "old" lifestyle? Was it be choice?

I will say that I don't know a tonne about the history of the north, or all the ins and outs of the problems, but if "we" (read the gov't) helped create these problems shouldn't "we" help solve these problems?

Quote:
Old 01-16-2015, 02:25 PM   #32
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Why did they leave their "old" lifestyle? Was it be choice?

I will say that I don't know a tonne about the history of the north, or all the ins and outs of the problems, but if "we" (read the gov't) helped create these problems shouldn't "we" help solve these problems?
Progress, history, civilization, circumstances – all the usual stuff. How long do you continue to download the responsibility for aboriginal well-being onto the general population? What is this collective "we" thing? Did you do something awful personally? I didn't. These communities feel completely helpless now not because of lack of government help but because of over-abundance of it. If the "special" assistance was eliminated 50 years ago, we would have a lot more assimilated, developed and self-confident first nations. I am 100% sure of it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainYooh For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2015, 02:42 PM   #33
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

[QUOTE=CaptainYooh;5092544]Progress, history, civilization, circumstances – all the usual stuff. How long do you continue to download the responsibility for aboriginal well-being onto the general population?
[/QUOTE}

I don't know how long and I have said before that if the Canada and it's native peoples want to move forward there needs to be done in a spirit of reconciliation.

That being said, if the video is to be believed the north only changed apporx 50 years ago, that is still fresh in people's minds/experience.

Quote:
What is this collective "we" thing?
Did you not see where I said "read the Gov't", as in The Governement of Canada which is an extension/representative of Canadians.

Quote:
Did you do something awful personally? I didn't. These communities feel completely helpless now not because of lack of government help but because of over-abundance of it. If the "special" assistance was eliminated 50 years ago, we would have a lot more assimilated, developed and self-confident first nations. I am 100% sure of it.
I actually don't disagree with you that there needs to be an assimilation/acceptance of native people in Canada. However look at this thread:

Quote:
Quote:
If you're just going to sit on your ass and bitch and complain about how bad it is and do nothing but drink, do drugs and kill your neighbors, well then
Quote:
How much should be spend helping people that just literally want to sit there?
If these two posts are reflective of the feelings of many Canadians I would suggest that there is not a willingness to assimilate the native peoples into modern day Canada.

I don't have the answer but you can't turn a society upsidedown and they blames them for all the problems that were caused when you turned them upside down.

Quote:
Old 01-16-2015, 02:48 PM   #34
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

If these two posts are reflective of the feelings of many Canadians I would suggest that there is not a willingness to assimilate the native peoples into modern day Canada.

I don't have the answer but you can't turn a society upsidedown and they blames them for all the problems that were caused when you turned them upside down.
Yes, I would concur with the above. But the shoe is on the other foot as well. My wife works with aboriginal children and the sentiment towards Canada from them is unilaterally and overwhelmingly antagonistic, dismissive and derogatory. It's always "us" vs. "them". What's more, these teenagers seem to be enjoying the irony of Canada's aboriginal guilt feeling.

P.S. They do like Flames though.

Last edited by CaptainYooh; 01-16-2015 at 02:51 PM.
CaptainYooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 04:03 PM   #35
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
The culture of hunting and gathering is being replaced by a culture of poverty, crime, and substance abuse. I can only imagine what things will be like in another 50 years...
A friend once said to me: "our ancient hunting and gathering instincts are still with us today, we hunt other people and gather their stuff".

I do agree that the proposition of propping up northern communities (or any sort of reserve) who have no economic output, and where the spiral into reliance and scarcity leads to social dysfunction and crime; needs to be challenged. Both the people of those communities and the government need to work together to get people into healthier areas where we can extend services to them and where they can contribute back. Tradition is beautiful when you are living off the land and according to traditional ways, but you can't expect the same level of services and modernity and modern vices to be able to be in harmony with that. The ancestors of the indigenous people's came across the land bridge into North America for economic reasons. They were following migrating herds of animals, leaving their native land to go somewhere else for better opportunities. Aboriginal communities today seriously need to evaluate the conditions of living in isolated enclaves and think about moving to better pastures for the benefit of everyone.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 01-16-2015 at 04:11 PM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 04:43 PM   #36
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Most Res's are like tiny municipalities with incredibly complicated issues, unlike other municipalities though, they hire from within their tiny populations and generally only hire from a few politically dominant families within the band so you end up with someone who would struggle to get a volunteer gig at big brother running the social services department.

A couple of years ago I got a native kid referred to my foster home who's aunt was his social worker, it was utterly inappropriate, in the regular system if there is any connection to a kids family they would transfer the file to another office, but within the res' government there is a casual acceptance of the band management and workers being unprofessional and unable to really do the jobs they are elected or hired for.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2015, 05:00 PM   #37
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't find a written document of the conversation, which is irritating me, but I'll share the gist of what I heard on the CBC a couple of years ago. I can't help with specifics at the moment, but the general idea of the discussion should be about the same.

What they were talking about was the centralization of the Northern people into regional towns, while abandoning the villages that were deemed completely unsustainable. By having everyone together in a place that was connected to the rest of the country, or had some kind of economic value, it was thought that they could retain the wanted anonymity in Native government while becoming less of a burden on country and giving themselves more access to amenities.

Eventually it was determined that the attachment to the land, and the historical animosity between different nations (leading to one group holding sway over another) was enough that there wasn't enough interest in leaving or creating a larger community.

I'm not sure how bad things need to get before this goes back on the table. I do know that if it does it needs to come from inside the effected communities and not as a government suggestion.
Harry Lime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 05:03 PM   #38
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
Most Res's are like tiny municipalities with incredibly complicated issues, unlike other municipalities though, they hire from within their tiny populations and generally only hire from a few politically dominant families within the band so you end up with someone who would struggle to get a volunteer gig at big brother running the social services department.

A couple of years ago I got a native kid referred to my foster home who's aunt was his social worker, it was utterly inappropriate, in the regular system if there is any connection to a kids family they would transfer the file to another office, but within the res' government there is a casual acceptance of the band management and workers being unprofessional and unable to really do the jobs they are elected or hired for.
It's more than just acceptance. Hiring your family for jobs they're unqualified for is expected, and considered perfectly legitimate. When I worked at a newspaper in the NWT I questioned why an otherwise unqualified sibling of the MLA was awarded a high position in the government. I was told to drop the issue, and that it was a 'southern' (aka White) way of looking at things. Whenever there's an election most of the band staff is let go and replaced with family, and half-trained people are replaced with completely untrained people. That's just the way it works.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 05:04 PM   #39
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

When I was in Inuvik it felt like I was on a reserve. Except at least on a reserve they have their own leadership, etc, up there it was like a reserve (however crooked and unqualified) except it was ran and policed by white people from down south.

You can imagine how that doesn't really work.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 05:10 PM   #40
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

This isn't really a 'reserve' we are talking about. There are lots of those in 'southern' Canada that have massive problems. We are talking about an even bigger issue.

These people are simply too far north to be able to really help them, and IMO if they insist on staying there and living their 'lifestyle', I would say they need to do it without constant government support.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bumsville , canada , crime , northwest territories , nunavut , yukon