Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-30-2018, 07:49 AM   #1761
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
I do believe this could be a good candidate for Delta's C Series jets once they start getting them.

I hope so. I fly to Charlotte every month and going through Atlanta would be much better than my other options.
rotten42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 11:14 AM   #1762
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Air Canada is launching seasonal YYC-Comox flights with the Q400 effective July 2nd:

https://aircanada.mediaroom.com/2018...ting-July-2018

"We are pleased to learn of the additional daily flights between Calgary and Comox. It will give our residents additional connectivity to the rest of Air Canada's world-wide network. Visitors to the Comox Valley will appreciate the convenience of a mid-day flight in providing easy access to the incredible attractions and amenities in the Valley and beyond," stated Mayor Paul Ives, Town of Comox."
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 08:27 AM   #1763
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

YYC Achieves Record Passenger Volumes in 2017:

http://www.yyc.com/News/tabid/91/art...s-in-2017.aspx
Old 02-01-2018, 10:05 AM   #1764
Dynamic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quick question for people familiar with YYC. Any advice appreciated.

I’m flying the AreoMexico red eye flight next tuesday. I’m doing part time online classes using blackboard collaborate and am hoping to be able to log into my class but it is on Tuesday as well. My class is 6:30-9ish pm so my initial plan is to head to the airport around 6ish to find a nice quiet spot pre-checkin/clearance and use wi-fi to log into my class. After class I’ll check in with Aero Mexico and continue with my flight. Is the wi-fi pretty reliable for this type of stuff or should I just scrap that idea?
Dynamic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 10:08 AM   #1765
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It will probably be fine. Do you have Shaw? I find I can also get Shaw open wifi in many spots of the airport.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2018, 10:10 AM   #1766
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I've never had any issues with the wifi. I regularly stream live sports on my ipad when I'm at the airport waiting at my gate and it rarely has issues.

I'm not sure if there are any areas where the signal strength is better than others. Usually I'm sitting at/near the gate.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 11:20 AM   #1767
Dynamic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
It will probably be fine. Do you have Shaw? I find I can also get Shaw open wifi in many spots of the airport.
No I don’t have Shaw but it sounds like it should be fine. Thanks for the replies!
Old 02-02-2018, 07:17 AM   #1768
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well speaking of AeroMexico they are dropping the MEX-YYC flight as of April. Too bad, but at least WestJet is taking a shot at MEX this year starting March 14th 4x weekly and then going daily as of April 29th.

Last edited by Bigtime; 02-02-2018 at 12:59 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2018, 11:17 AM   #1769
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Just noticed on the YYC website that P2 will be closed until May! That must have been quite the pipe break to close a multi-story parkade for five months.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 12:57 PM   #1770
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodFan View Post
Just noticed on the YYC website that P2 will be closed until May! That must have been quite the pipe break to close a multi-story parkade for five months.
Or about the time the temps increase and they can stop worrying about the pipe freezing and busting again after fixing. Then comes a closure next year from Oct-May because they didn't find a suitable fix in time.

But I'm speculating of course.
Old 02-21-2018, 01:13 PM   #1771
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

...and YYC just tweeted out that P1 is now completely full, and they are turning folks away and telling them to use Park and Jet.
Old 02-21-2018, 01:37 PM   #1772
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I wonder if it is a fire water main. Would explain why they won't let anyone in the parkade for a broken pipe. If it was domestic water it would be no big deal, but if fire protection is impaired then no occupancy. Still amazing that the repair plan is "let it thaw".

Would also be interesting to see if a contractor is getting a warranty claim on this.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 02:07 PM   #1773
Dynamic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

At our plant our fire protection system is a dry system and I’m assuming it would be at the parkade was well. Being dry means usually the pipes are full of pressurized air under normal conditions but if there is a leak in the system ( for example a sprinkler head breaks) the loss in air pressure causes a valve to trip allowing water into the system.

I’m just speculating but if the entire system was flooded and not drained right away then it would be a huge job to thaw and probably repair/replace the system. For us if any part of the sprinkler system is not operational then it’s a huge deal with insurance companies.
Old 02-21-2018, 03:00 PM   #1774
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodFan View Post
I wonder if it is a fire water main. Would explain why they won't let anyone in the parkade for a broken pipe. If it was domestic water it would be no big deal, but if fire protection is impaired then no occupancy. Still amazing that the repair plan is "let it thaw".

Would also be interesting to see if a contractor is getting a warranty claim on this.
Has anyone else notice cars parked on level 2 of P2 during this closure? I wonder if they allow staff to park there.

It's wonderful when you have to walk from the far end of domestic parking to the US gates. Such a world class experience YYC.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 05:44 PM   #1775
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

I was there on Saturday and the parkade was as full as I've ever seen it. I usually park on level 5 and it's normally pretty empty but this time all I could find were half-spots between big trucks. I had no problem finding a spot on level 6 though.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 09:25 AM   #1776
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Air Canada making some changes to the Winter '18/19 schedule to OGG and CUN, this kicks in November 2018:

YYC-OGG Going to 4x weekly on Mainline 737 Max 8 (currently 3x weekly rouge 767)

YYC-CUN 3x weekly no change on Mainline 737 Max 8 (currently 3x weekly rouge 767)

Unfortunately this translates into a loss of capacity on both routes.
With WestJet taking deliveries of the 737 MAX I wonder if we'll see them switch the YYC-Hawaii flights from the current 767's to the 737 MAX also?

Last edited by Bigtime; 02-23-2018 at 09:29 AM.
Old 02-23-2018, 10:18 AM   #1777
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Air Canada making some changes to the Winter '18/19 schedule to OGG and CUN, this kicks in November 2018:

YYC-OGG Going to 4x weekly on Mainline 737 Max 8 (currently 3x weekly rouge 767)

YYC-CUN 3x weekly no change on Mainline 737 Max 8 (currently 3x weekly rouge 767)

Unfortunately this translates into a loss of capacity on both routes.
With WestJet taking deliveries of the 737 MAX I wonder if we'll see them switch the YYC-Hawaii flights from the current 767's to the 737 MAX also?
Could see them partially making the switch, especially from YEG which I believe already had a frequency reduction this winter. But they still need somewhere to fly the 767 somewhere in winter so unless they up their London schedule or perhaps change some of the sun routes over to the 67 I'm not sure what else they would do with them.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 12:11 PM   #1778
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
With WestJet taking deliveries of the 737 MAX I wonder if we'll see them switch the YYC-Hawaii flights from the current 767's to the 737 MAX also? [/COLOR] [/FONT][/COLOR]
Can the 737 MAX make it from YYC direct to OGG?
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 12:20 PM   #1779
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yup, and I believe that unlike the 737-800NG it can do it on a full load. Remember when WestJet first started YYC-OGG/HNL flights, they used the 737-800 but blocked off middle seats so they could make it.

Wikipedia has the 2 Class range of the MAX 8 at 3550 nautical miles, so here is the map showing what that range gets you:

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?R=3550nm%40YYC&MS=wls&DU=mi

Last edited by Bigtime; 02-23-2018 at 12:26 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2018, 04:00 PM   #1780
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

YYC has partially re-opened long-term parking in Parkade 2. All international and US passengers are encouraged to use this parkade. The EAST elevators will allow access through the passenger tunnel that is located in the arrivals level.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
go flames go , say no to yeg , tunnel of death , yyc