Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2018, 02:39 PM   #3621
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

So apparently they just wrapped up a battle that took 55 days to film. For comparison:

Quote:
Those 55 days easily eclipses the 25 days it took to film last season’s “The Battle of the Bastards”—the show’s longest battle shoot to date. Our research suggest this new battle shoot is actually the longest in television history.

“The Battle of the Bastards” reportedly required 600 crew members, 500 extras, 70 horses, and 65 stuntmen.
https://quartzy.qz.com/1248066/game-...s-to-complete/
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 02:43 PM   #3622
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do people actually like watching really long battles?
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
mc3
Old 04-09-2018, 02:47 PM   #3623
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Do people actually like watching really long battles?
Yes.

Edit: They've done long battles really well by adding emotion and contributing small things to the overall story. I'd prefer an epic battle scene to them trying to cut budget and having more exposition dialogue and then "faking" the size of the battle. Like the Battle of the Blackwater.

Last edited by KTrain; 04-09-2018 at 03:00 PM.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2018, 02:52 PM   #3624
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

I enjoy watching battle scenes, but I found the Battle of the Bastards one of the most ludicrous things I've ever seen on TV. I was laughing the entire way through. It made no sense at all, and was undoubtedly the dumbest portrayal of tactics I'd ever seen on screen. I was astonished to find out most of the audience loved it.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 02:55 PM   #3625
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
I enjoy watching battle scenes, but I found the Battle of the Bastards one of the most ludicrous things I've ever seen on TV. I was laughing the entire way through. It made no sense at all, and was undoubtedly the dumbest portrayal of tactics I'd ever seen on screen. I was astonished to find out most of the audience loved it.
Let me introduce you to the walking dead my friend.
Johnny Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 03:52 PM   #3626
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
In what way ? The whole point is they charged to Save John Snow, thus abandoning all tactics. Just curious what part you hated
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 04:00 PM   #3627
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

The way the Snow's army was surrounded and then forced into a tight circle. Ramsay's forces would have needed to massively outnumber Snow's in order for that to work. And then there's the fact Snow's army didn't even notice it had been surrounded until it was too late.

IMHO, real military tactics are interesting. You don't need to present fantastically implausible ones to make a battle look cool.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 04:29 PM   #3628
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The way the Snow's army was surrounded and then forced into a tight circle. Ramsay's forces would have needed to massively outnumber Snow's in order for that to work. And then there's the fact Snow's army didn't even notice it had been surrounded until it was too late.

IMHO, real military tactics are interesting. You don't need to present fantastically implausible ones to make a battle look cool.
They ran into the middle of the field to save Snow, and Ramsey had planned on this and set up his troops in a position to surround them.. its literally the strategy that he set up...

I’ll agree they should have stayed in formation instead of saving their King, but once they charged formation and strategy for one side was gone.

I think you need to go back and watch the scene 😉
Old 04-09-2018, 05:15 PM   #3629
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

^^^^

You guys are both right. I actually really enjoyed the battle of the bastards on a superficial level, but the whole episode was pretty ridiculous. Ramsay was essentially using a Phalanx like formation to surround Snow and his men. The problem with that is that a Phalanx doesn't work in a circle, as it relies on the shields being tightly interwoven in the square with men directly behind eachother to creating a pushing force. Snow's army also had a giant in it. The giants look like they weigh several thousand pounds and would be capable of generating many thousands of pounds of force. There's no way a phalanx formation would hold up to a single kick from a giant. The phalanx formation was also only about 4-5 men deep, which is very light for that kind of formation. If John's group, especially with the giant, had run at any one single point, they would have bowled it over. They would only need to push 2-3 men to the ground before making a gaping hole in the formation.

Then when the battle was over, the crowd seemed to totally forget that Sansa had an actual right to the throne and randomly just started yelling King of the North at John. Which pretty much ignores the entire premise of the show, which is built around competing claims to the throne. All of a sudden all of the houses are just ignoring the succession rules, which have dictated the plot thus far. Also, the Vale is by far the strongest military force at this point, but Little Finger just kind of lets John Snow be the leader, despite having devouted his life to putting Sansa into power.

It wasn't as though Jon even showed great leadership in battle. In fact, he was totally incompetent and the Vale is the only thing that saved him....

anyways....very entertaining, but the writing and logic in the show went out the window a long time ago. If you overthink the show now, you are going to be disappointed.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2018, 05:34 PM   #3630
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

I will agree the giant part was dumb, in that why didn’t the giant run through the Phalanx and break it up even if they stabbed it a few times.
Old 04-09-2018, 06:05 PM   #3631
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
I will agree the giant part was dumb, in that why didn’t the giant run through the Phalanx and break it up even if they stabbed it a few times.
The giant, in the very next seen, crashes through a door and runs through groups of archers absolutely pelting him...yet he can't step through a line of shields earlier on.

Here's an image of the Ramsay formation. The giant would have owned those guys.

Don't get me wrong, I find the show very entertaining. But the way I enjoy the show has definitely shifted. It's not about thinking about strategy and complex politics anymore. It's more of a Braveheart type enjoyment, where the logic, history, and plausibility goes out the window, but the characters and moments are cool. There's a noticeable shift since they stopped taking directly from the George RR Martin material.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2018, 02:48 PM   #3632
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

HBO has green lit a GOT prequel series. I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/news...by-hbo-w521312

Quote:
The full synopsis via The Wrap: "Taking place thousands of years before the events of Game of Thrones, the series chronicles the world's descent from the golden Age of Heroes into its darkest hour. And only one thing is for sure: from the horrifying secrets of Westeros' history to the true origin of the white walkers, the mysteries of the East to the Starks of legend … it's not the story we think we know.”

It's unclear when the prequel will air, but in a previous interview, HBO president of programming Casey Bloys said he wanted there to be time between the finale of the original series and a spinoff.

"There is not going to be anything in any scenario where we have any sort of prequel air for at least a year after that," he told Deadline. "I want the final season of Game of Thrones to be the final season of Game of Thrones, I don't want to use it to launch something else, I want it to stand as the finale of the greatest TV show of all time, I don't want to do anything that infringes on that."
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2018, 02:55 PM   #3633
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
HBO has green lit a GOT prequel series. I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

"I want the final season of Game of Thrones to be the final season of Game of Thrones, I don't want to use it to launch something else, I want it to stand as the finale of the greatest TV show of all time, I don't want to do anything that infringes on that."

This guy this it.
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 01:15 PM   #3634
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

If she didn’t slip a “you know nothing Kit Harrington” into their vows I’ll be disappointed.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2018, 02:36 PM   #3635
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post

I wonder if the prequel will show the people living more primitively than they do in the current show? I guess they could imply that the long night set people back thousands of years and therefore they lived the same way back then.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 03:40 PM   #3636
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Wow she is so much taller than him.
Old 06-24-2018, 05:20 PM   #3637
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yellow wedding?
Johnny Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 06:27 PM   #3638
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Wow she is so much taller than him.
She's shorter than him. She's actually quite short at around 5'4'' (listed at 5'6'')

It's just heels and he's bending.

Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 11:09 PM   #3639
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
It's just heels and he's bending.
Thats what they all say.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 12:13 PM   #3640
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

He's not very tall himself. I liked Leslie in the movie Honeymoon.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote